DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is a good video, but what can be done to make it better?

Hi Vergard. The main thing is to stop using the gimmicky edits. You almost never see these being used by a professional. Why not? Because they don't look good. Just because you have the option to do something doesn't mean you should do it.

Secondly, although most of the clips are edited to a good length, some are too long. So tighten up on the editing by reducing the length of the longer clips. (Think "cave" as an obvious example.)

With regards to composition, you could make improvements by positioning your main subject better. I'm sure you know about the rule of thirds. It works.

Then it boils down to subject matter. Can you make it more interesting and less repetitive?

I've rarely commented on someone's content. I'm doing so here because you're already above average and you want to improve. Be tough on yourself and you'll get better.

All the best.

Reactions: VegardBerland
Fantastic video. I love the color settings, exposure settings, the unveil and reveal shots, perfect mixture of varied content, perfect scenery. I would keep ALL the shots! Personally, I would remove the zoom-transitions.

You did an awesome job. Wow. ?
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, first time I used zoom-transitions and was a bit uncertain if it was the way to go :)

I would remove the very fast pull back ..music is inoffensive and quiet enough ... I was lucky enough to do a Fjords cruise 2 years ago ..absolutely gorgeous country ... and so fresh ..great shots
Thank you so much for the feedback! Yes, Norway is stunning :) First time I used the pull-back transitions, so just mostly testing :)

There are so many Brilliant fantastic shots.
Love the narrative in the beginning with a voice like that you could add more .

I think a better shot than the zoom you pull off would be to get in close for a B roll shot of the water, and or surface than back away slow to show where it came from and how it sits in the big picture. I find that a stunning shot .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Pouring Rain and land on water.
Thank you! These are great tips :) Appreciate it!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
One of the best videos on the forum I’ve seen. At times on par with one of the world’s best cinematographers (IMO) Niklas Christl - Check him out on YouTube. Only one tiny point to add is that the music finished a few seconds earlier than the vision. Cheers ???
Thank you so much for your nice words! I agree with the point you're making with the music :) I discovered Niklas Christl last year and he has some awesome content and amazing shots!

Very enjoyable to watch! Only suggestion I have is there might be times where you would want to slow the transition down to match the next scene.
Thanks for the feedback! Great tip and I agree :) I'm editing on a crappy computer so I really don't see how the transition turn out before after exporting :D Appreciate you taking the time to watch!

There's little room for improvement on your video. It has breathtaking scenes, very well color graded and edited but there're some scenes where horizon is a tilted, some scenes have noise and others a litle of color cast of shadows (red / violet / green)

Hope this help you
Great feedback! I will bring these tips into my next edit :)

Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing! Your music selection was great, the use of SFX was perfect, just enough and appropriate. The shots were stunning and the mix was excellent. I watched every minute and I often fast-forward through videos over 3-mins.
Thank you so much for your nice words!

This was a very well done video in most ways, and I have only a few minimal comments to try to help improve what is already a spectacular film. I was constantly wishing that you dwelled a second or two on most scenes. There was so much natural raw beauty that I would have liked to dwell on these for a moment or two longer. Your zoom transitions were distracting and a bit cheesy. Rather, a cross fade dissolve would have made for a more pleasing transition. The length was perfect. The music selection was appropriate. The editing was excellent.

Having been to this area to see the Hardanger Fjord, stav churches, and driving with ferry connections through most the fjord land, I'd really love to go back now with a drone!

Well done!

Dale
Miami
Thank you so much for your feedback, Dale! Really appreciate it. The scenery is indeed breathtaking, so I see your point of keeping some the shots a bit longer. First time testing zoom-transitions, so I'm not sure if it's the way to go :)

I do have one question, I noticed the zoom transition through the tunnel and was wondering if you had to speed up a little because you were losing GPS?
Thanks for watching :) I didn´t lose the GPS. It was just a small tunnel. The shot was a bit long, so I speed it up in post to match the music.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Great video production. Maybe tighten up the coherence of the story. Was there a reason for revisiting the village as opposed to a more in depth first run. You might want to check out Spicemaster by Pixelan.com It would give you options other than straight cuts.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, maybe a bit better storytelling could improve the video :) I will check them out!

Hi Vergard. The main thing is to stop using the gimmicky edits. You almost never see these being used by a professional. Why not? Because they don't look good. Just because you have the option to do something doesn't mean you should do it.

Secondly, although most of the clips are edited to a good length, some are too long. So tighten up on the editing by reducing the length of the longer clips. (Think "cave" as an obvious example.)

With regards to composition, you could make improvements by positioning your main subject better. I'm sure you know about the rule of thirds. It works.

Then it boils down to subject matter. Can you make it more interesting and less repetitive?

I've rarely commented on someone's content. I'm doing so here because you're already above average and you want to improve. Be tough on yourself and you'll get better.

All the best.
This is just what I wanted. Straight, honest feedback. I agree with the edit. This is the first time I'm testing zoom-transitions, and I don't think it's the way to go.

I totally agree with the length of some of the shots. My experience is that some people complain that the shots are too short and some that they are too long :)

The positioning is a good point!

Thanks again for taking the time to watch and giving some feedback. Appreciate it!

This is just what I wanted. Straight, honest feedback. I agree with the edit. This is the first time I'm testing zoom-transitions, and I don't think it's the way to go.

I totally agree with the length of some of the shots. My experience is that some people complain that the shots are too short and some that they are too long :)

The positioning is a good point!

Thanks again for taking the time to watch and giving some feedback. Appreciate it!
Vergard: Another quick point about the length of the edits. Those who are drone pilots or not used to seeing drone footage might want to see longer sections - but that is untypical. Most viewers of video are just watching a story unfold and they don't want it to drag out. So think "5 seconds" as standard and rarely use 8 seconds unless it's for a title sequence. If you can access any BBC wildlife documentaries narrated by David Attenborough - which are generally considered to be the best camerawork and editing - you can watch how their programmes are edited (perhaps using a stopwatch on your smartphone?). You'll soon see that even when you have fantastic footage that "less is more".

I assume you're Norwegian? We recently watched, twice, on Netflix, the film The 12th Man - a true story of a Norwegian during WWII. Whereas it's not something to copy with regards to editing your own films, it's nevertheless a genuinely "must see" film. We've since got two copies on DVD for team training. If you haven't already seen it, please do so.

Our two countries (UK and Norway) have enjoyed a long friendship and I've always appreciated why you send us a large Christmas tree for Trafalgar Square, London, every year - but The 12th Man really drives this home.

Vergard: Another quick point about the length of the edits. Those who are drone pilots or not used to seeing drone footage might want to see longer sections - but that is untypical. Most viewers of video are just watching a story unfold and they don't want it to drag out. So think "5 seconds" as standard and rarely use 8 seconds unless it's for a title sequence. If you can access any BBC wildlife documentaries narrated by David Attenborough - which are generally considered to be the best camerawork and editing - you can watch how their programmes are edited (perhaps using a stopwatch on your smartphone?). You'll soon see that even when you have fantastic footage that "less is more".
Yes, I think you're right! I've seen almost all of David Attenbourogh and BBCs wildlife documentaries. Epic work. Great tip watching how they edit :)

I assume you're Norwegian? We recently watched, twice, on Netflix, the film The 12th Man - a true story of a Norwegian during WWII. Whereas it's not something to copy with regards to editing your own films, it's nevertheless a genuinely "must see" film. We've since got two copies on DVD for team training. If you haven't already seen it, please do so.

Our two countries (UK and Norway) have enjoyed a long friendship and I've always appreciated why you send us a large Christmas tree for Trafalgar Square, London, every year - but The 12th Man really drives this home.
I´m Norwegian and "The 12th Man" is a great movie and an amazing true story. Norway and UK had a good relationship during the war and still have. I've heard about the Christmas tree. A cool tradition :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard