DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Those Hand Landings Look so Easy

pdl-zombie

Reactions
I see some of you tried hand landings-with painful results. Yes, I tried it too today. I got a 1 small laceration on my little finger but I learned that if I were try it again to keep my hand FLAT & that includes fingers.

Reactions: MMPerrish
Just to chime in.

On the Mavic Mini, I hand landed with my palms flat.

But on the MA2, I finger catch it. Not sure why I changed for the MA2 but I just find it easier to finger catch this.

Either way is fine, IMHO

Look for the technique that suits you best, are comfortable with and feel much safer doing. ;) Thumbswayup

Once I learned that the Mavic will come down, detect your hand about a foot below it, and jump up about a foot, and then slowly come down onto your hand...the entire process became second nature to me, with no injuries over the last year now. On a few occasions, I’ve hand launched and landed from a pitching sailboat, too.

Seriously though...this maneuver is not for everyone.

This is one defining feature of my Parrot ANAFI that I love..... a dedicated hand launch and land mode. You can literally throw it in the air to launch and then it detects your palm and lands without any tricks plus its long arms keep the blades away from fingers.

Unfortunately, Parrot is behind on many other features we take for granted on the DJI birds.

I don't really land hand flat like the old Spark style. The main thing is to be stable on good ground. Make sure the drone is completely stable before approaching at a slight angle and at a comfortable height. Do not be at arms length. It's best to practice the landing position a few times with the drone powered off. Hold the drone in front of you. note your finger position. Take note that you are no where's near the propellers. You will see also how your hand is cupped and the approximate finger location. In actual practice, put your hand in position under the drone...do not grab it..it will resist. Just ease the left stick back. You will have the controller in one had so it's more or less idiot proof. You can't possible fly the drone into yourself. You will soon be comfortable landing it in windier situations.

Mini 2. Once I tried hand launch/capture, I practiced it until it was effortless.
Now, I'd do it no other way. SO much better for you and the aircraft.

Flat palm for sure. With my bottom-mount strobe, I have a little more leeway to use fingers.

OK, all you hand grabbers out there, 'fess up. Have you ever grabbed, got a grip and then moved your hand ( maybe from a foot slipping or not paying attention) and the bird suddenly spooled up and of course you now had to grip tighter to hang onto this scary live thing bucking in your hand?

After it happening to a friend of mine a couple times... OK, me, I realized what actually was causing my Mini to spool up was because I had lowered my hand slightly while gripping it and it sensed the drop and sped up to try and hold it's altitude.

Figured I had four options.
Option 1: Hang on to the bucking beast till the battery ran down.
Option 2: If I had a good grip I could do an emergency stop by twisting it over on it's back and the motors would immediately stop. ( A good thing to know how to do).
Option 3: Raise it up a couple of inches so it got to the height it was trying to maintain.
Option 4: Or, just let it go and it would climb a few inches on it's own and hover and wait for me to push auto land so I could get my heartrate under control while it landed on it's own.

To learn more about your bird, I suggest you try Options 2 - 4 next time you are a hand grabber like me. If you let it land on your hand you'll probably never have this problem because if you accidently drop your hand the drone will just spin up and hover.

Reactions: MMPerrish
How about just holding the left stick back so it continues to land and shut down?

FWIW, I never autoland a hand catch. Also, I'm a grabber. I'm not as comfortable landing in an open palm as I am actually grabbing it.

This is one defining feature of my Parrot ANAFI that I love..... a dedicated hand launch and land mode. You can literally throw it in the air to launch and then it detects your palm and lands without any tricks plus its long arms keep the blades away from fingers.

Unfortunately, Parrot is behind on many other features we take for granted on the DJI birds.
You can literally throw a lot of the smaller DJI drones to launch them too, you just gotta get the props spinning first (sticks in)

You can literally throw a lot of the smaller DJI drones to launch them too, you just gotta get the props spinning first (sticks in)
I've done that as well but find it awkward to pull the sticks while juggling the drone..... launching the Anafi is awkward too because you have to tap the screen on the phone while balancing the controller and the drone but its slightly more manageable. Where the Anafi shines is on the landing, you just put your palm out and it willingly drops down on your hand and turns off the props.... don't get me wrong DJI wins in many other ways.

I have no problem with pilots hand launching and retrieving their aircraft, but if you do it long enough, you might get an impressive view of your skeletal system at some point along your journey.

Just get your bird at about 7 feet AGL over decent ground, walk up to it already knowing how to safely grab its body. Verify you have good footing then smoothly grab it with one hand then lower the left stick with the other. I do this all generally over head to keep my face away. I definitely like grabbing better since I’m often in wind and on inhospitable terrain. I’m alway soooo happy to know it is safely in my grip. GOTCHA! Even if it revés up, It is not going anywhere. Flip it over. . .

And the hand grab story continues on.

Nice vid.

I just let it hover near me and pick it out of the sky.

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. Hand catching is the way to go. It becomes easy in a very short time.
Regards

Reactions: V_Raptor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190