DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Those of you that Upgraded from the Mavic Pro.....

i miss my MP1 for the goofiest reason, i could fly it around with the gimble up 30 degrees above horizon, and it would stay there, NoT "correct" itself or me!

Sold my MP to get the MP2. No reason to keep to, and the longer you hold on to the original the less it’s worth. Plus now got the smart controller.[emoji846]

I did the same. Sold the MP the day I received the new MP2. That was a great coincidence. I fully agree that keeping the old Mavic would eventually make it lose value.

I also understand those who like to keep all things just because they want!

Something not mentioned so far has to do with the old batteries and their chemicals. An old's battery performance will degrade over time. I see no point keeping such a pricey toy if usage would be rare.

The older the battery, the higher the risk for a battery failure during flight. Therefore, if anybody plans on using such an old drone, they should at least be aware of the higher risk for battery failures.

I might’ve lost a few minutes of flight time on my MP, but I’ve had it since it’s inception and have never had a battery fail in flight. No failures on my Inspire,P3,P4, or Spark either.
All 3 swelled up on my Q5004K within 8 months [emoji35]
I’ve had one battery failure from a bad cell (MP1) ,but I still use it for charging my phone/iPad. Until it swells up, it’s usable, just not for flight.
I haven’t read about any batteries failing In Flight... the RC/DJIGO app won’t let you start up flight with a bad battery.

Edit:
After my writing this post, of course, I find threads about batteries failing. I’m just not sure if the battery was incorrectly installed, or it was internal failure. I must read on....

Last edited:
I did reluctantly sell my MP1. I used the money to buy a couple extra batteries for my M2P(4 total), as well as a FULL set of PolarPro filters and extended controller sticks(awesome by the way). I was able to buy all the extras that I needed, but why I miss the MP is for this reason:

The M2P and the MP are like a brand new Harley VS. and older classic. If my new one needs repaired I probably won’t go tearing it apart to try and fix it myself. Even if I wanted to, most of the parts aren’t available, and are expensive as hell. On the other hand, the MP can easily be worked on, due to plentiful parts and YouTube tutorials.

I knew my MP inside and out(literally) I’ve crashed it, almost completely disassembled and repaired it. She always flew as good as new. She was a tough old girl!

I enjoyed not worrying about crashing as much as I do with my new bird, even though I do have Care Refresh. It’s not quite the same though...anyways, just my 2 cents.

Brizzel: I hear what you're saying loud and clear. I dearly loved my MP but for me, flying has always been incidental to the photography and videography and that may be what separates many of us with drones in general. As I recall, it was equally difficult to get parts for the MP when it first came out, too. (Correct me if I'm wrong please, Rob.) DJI isn't going to build up their inventory of spare parts in advance of a launch date driven by marketing. I doubt any large company is any different. For sure the Big Three are no different. Try and get parts for a brand new car that are not the same as a previous year.

But, the M2 series is just SO much more robust than the MP's. IMHO, there is just no comparison and I believe that virtually everything that could be improved on the MP was done on the M2's. If DJI carries the folding design over to the next Phantom, then my interest will be piqued again as that bird will surely have a better camera, not that the M2P's camera isn't great...it is but if DJI builds a larger M2 with a removable lens camera, that will be a game changer in my eyes.

Did they make a few mistakes on the M2's? Yes, but that happens on virtually every new drone, regardless of the manufacturer. Is it the best prosumer drone ever produced? It is in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you miss your girl and I hope it passes quickly the more you fly the new girl.

Brizzel: I hear what you're saying loud and clear. I dearly loved my MP but for me, flying has always been incidental to the photography and videography and that may be what separates many of us with drones in general. As I recall, it was equally difficult to get parts for the MP when it first came out, too. (Correct me if I'm wrong please, Rob.) DJI isn't going to build up their inventory of spare parts in advance of a launch date driven by marketing. I doubt any large company is any different. For sure the Big Three are no different. Try and get parts for a brand new car that are not the same as a previous year.

But, the M2 series is just SO much more robust than the MP's. IMHO, there is just no comparison and I believe that virtually everything that could be improved on the MP was done on the M2's. If DJI carries the folding design over to the next Phantom, then my interest will be piqued again as that bird will surely have a better camera, not that the M2P's camera isn't great...it is but if DJI builds a larger M2 with a removable lens camera, that will be a game changer in my eyes.

Did they make a few mistakes on the M2's? Yes, but that happens on virtually every new drone, regardless of the manufacturer. Is it the best prosumer drone ever produced? It is in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you miss your girl and I hope it passes quickly the more you fly the new girl.

I agree 100% ! The reason I sold mine was, 1. I found myself flying my old one more, which doesn’t make any sense, and 2. So I could spend money on all of the new accessories, which adds up very quickly. I also think if they could have just added a mechanical shutter, as well as getting rid of that darn micro usb on the remote, to charge through. I was sure that that was something they were going to change. It’s a big flaw. They changed it on the smart controller?? Those two things aloneness the only things it’s really lacking.

I agree 100% ! The reason I sold mine was, 1. I found myself flying my old one more, which doesn’t make any sense, and 2. So I could spend money on all of the new accessories, which adds up very quickly. I also think if they could have just added a mechanical shutter, as well as getting rid of that darn micro usb on the remote, to charge through. I was sure that that was something they were going to change. It’s a big flaw. They changed it on the smart controller?? Those two things aloneness the only things it’s really lacking.

You should get the magnetic charger cord for your remote. I have over a dozen rechargeables with them installed. Haven’t had any issues, and my wife loves them on my dogs training collars.
If you need to update or connect to your computer, just pop off the magnetic plug, and reinstall when done. They are worth every dollar imo.

5594374f001c8f3b8678968e97613a00.jpg

43721bae67fe464dadd98f723bb2c331.jpg

You should get the magnetic charger cord for your remote. I have over a dozen rechargeables with them installed. Haven’t had any issues, and my wife loves them on my dogs training collars.
If you need to update or connect to your computer, just pop off the magnetic plug, and reinstall when done. They are worth every dollar imo.

5594374f001c8f3b8678968e97613a00.jpg

43721bae67fe464dadd98f723bb2c331.jpg

I’ve seen these in the past. I almost got some for my iPhone, then I upgraded to the 10s max. Now I always charge wirelessly. It’s like my MagSafe 2 cable for my MacBook Pro. I will definitely get some. Thanks!

I’ve seen these in the past. I almost got some for my iPhone, then I upgraded to the 10s max. Now I always charge wirelessly. It’s like my MagSafe 2 cable for my MacBook Pro. I will definitely get some. Thanks!

Same here with my iPhone XS.
You reminded me to get one for my MacBook Pro... the new ones don’t come with the MagSafe, just their type “C” Thunderbolt.
Gonna order an L shaped magnetic cord. [emoji6]

You reminded me to get one for my MacBook Pro... the new ones don’t come with the MagSafe, just their type “C” Thunderbolt.

I read your post and immediately went and ordered some. I’ve heard of too many expensive stories about them breaking. Plus it’s a pain to get it in!

Wonder why DJI doesn’t come out with a wireless charger like I use for my iPhone. That would get around all these problems. Just lay the controller on it.

It might cause a Magnetic Interference problem or have negative effects with such a big pad to charge.
Good thought.
Must be a critical component of some sort...
...of course the phones are pretty complex too and these carvers work for 2 generations before the chargers were sold.

223bd32d359d2f63033ad500b5658076.jpg

You helped me out. Figured this might be a good option for you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faustino