DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thought I almost lost it...

Signal loss can be cause by a variety of factors. At 1000ft away could you actually see the aircraft or if there was anything between you and the aircraft?
Yes, including Antenna Orientation, which got me a couple times early on.

Reactions: Prismatic
I’ve found that sometimes, if you can safely increase altitude without getting into too much wind, you get the signal back. Other times, if you click on the map in the bottom left corner of your screen, it’ll show you the way home and in a little while, your connection will return. Best wishes!

Reactions: Flynz
Hi. New member/new drone pilot here. I received my MA2 yesterday and was blown away

I read this and heart skipped a beat for you, then saw the metaphor used, then read it further it was possible it could have happened just like that.

Some good advice here about RTH settings and wind, it won't always save you if you haven't researched the wind speeds (by gut or by app) at altitude, nor will having a standard 400' (or other such high) RTH setting be a good idea.
Set for a safe margin over the highest trees / obstacles for each flight, and remember, if you are above this, you will not descent to RTH altitude, but stay at the height you are.
If you have lost telemetry and signal, well you can't use left stick to drop it down, neither safely without telemetry / device vision, or at all if signal lost of course.

You don't have the attitude bowl on the Fly app, this tells you exactly how the drone is being affected at various altitudes by wind.
A real shame DJI stuffed that one up by removing it for Mini and Air 2 owners.

Welcome to the forum here too, you will learn pretty much all the little quirks a drone model has fairly fast with the membership base numbers here, and learn from the vast amount of little mistakes and the effect they can have on safe flight.

Reactions: Flynz and Halcyon
You have much to learn, Grasshopper!

You came close to a "blow-away" disaster, and RTH was probably your worst choice. The wind at that altitude is generally far stronger than at ground level, and the drone won't descend to your RTH height if it's already above it when RTH is activated. Had the wind not abated a bit just when you reconnected, you'd have lost your brand-new drone.

Faced with a "blow-away" situation, you should descend to the lowest safe altitude and fly home manually; RTH does not apply the maximum available power to the drone.

I don't mind saying "You were flying beyond your ability", because I once crashed a drone for that same hubris.
Good point

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada