DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Threading the needle

Aether

Reactions
I’ve had to make many very tight takeoffs and landings in my time as a drone pilot (without crashing). I had a really hairy situation earlier today while landing in a tiny opening in the tree canopy complete with 25 mph winds. This made me quite curious, do other people take these type of risks and if so what is at the extreme end.

I’ve seen some footage of people landing on moving boats which I would imagine is somewhat extreme; please post your most nerve racking takeoffs and landing experiences (video or pictures if you’ve got them). Share any tips for such situations as well. I always land with manual controls, and (sometimes not by choice) with Go4 app disconnected.

Worst experience to date is loss of connection and app crash just beyond vlos. Could not reacquire. Panicked. Did not unplug tablet and replug in as I should have (now my SOP) and Go4 was in some kind of loop and would not connect with the bird. RTH worked. But...on narrow ledge on bridge and had to catch bird by hand over water - forgetting I could still use controller. Practice so it be ones second nature how to recover. When s**t happens I don't always think calmly.....

Ok, I'll share an experience I had this weekend that raised my heart rate. The plan was to use Activetrack to follow my boat from the Marina out into Cape Cod Bay. I thought my better half was going to come with me, but at the last minute she bailed. Of course since I had already scheduled the flight with the local airport I decided to go solo (first mistake).

The plan was to use my Iphone for this flight so I could utilize the remote as a moving home point (my iPad doesn't have GPS). The plan was also to disable obstacle avoidance because the drone won't fly back to the boat with it on. I took off from the marina dock beside my boat and began to get things set up. When I tried to change the home point to dynamic the software told me the cell signal wasn't strong enough. Then when I tried to set up the activetrack it wouldn't go unless I enabled Obstacle avoidance. Admittedly this now has me a bit flustered but I figure I just pay close attention to the battery and if it goes into RTH I will cancel and fly it back to the boat manually. All of this messing around has my battery down to 70%. I'm such a stubborn son of a B, I should have aborted at this point, but I didn't.

I put the drone up about 60ft and behind my slip, set up activetrack, pressed Go, and when about my normal departure. I navigate through the finger piers and get into the main channel and notice the drone hasn't moved (I mistakenly choose the wrong mode). Of course the marina is busy, lots of boats coming and going from the slips and in the channel & let's not forget, I am alone. Because I'm using my Iphone, I can't really see what the problem is, I used the sticks to fly the drone closer to me out in the channel & I stay there for a while, dodging boat traffic while trying to figure out what the deal is with the drone. I can't really see the screen so I decide to abort.

I cancel the Activetrack mode and then proceed to shut down the obstacle avoidance but it won't shut off. The dam green slide bar will not slide, I tried everything, I could not get it to shut off. My battery is now getting low now and I'm in a moving boat, alone with a drone that is set up to avoid me...not a great feeling. The boat is 24ft with a hard top so the there really isn't that much room for error (even with Obstacle avoidance off). After about the 8th or 9th attempt to get the drone back to the boat, while dodging boat traffic I had this sinking feeling that this wasn't going to end well. I tried again to disable the sensors and it still wouldn't work. I eventually decided to stand on the swim platform to give myself at much distance from the hardtop as possible to fly across the back of the boat. After three or four attempts at this I was able to safely pluck it out of the air. So close to catastrophe, many lessons learned.

Worst experience to date is loss of connection and app crash just beyond vlos. Could not reacquire. Panicked. Did not unplug tablet and replug in as I should have (now my SOP) and Go4 was in some kind of loop and would not connect with the bird. RTH worked. But...on narrow ledge on bridge and had to catch bird by hand over water - forgetting I could still use controller. Practice so it be ones second nature how to recover. When s**t happens I don't always think calmly.....

I didn’t even think of physically disconnecting and reconnecting the phone as you’ve mentioned. I’ll probably give that a try next time the controller disconnects from the Go4 app.

Ok, I'll share an experience I had this weekend that raised my heart rate. The plan was to use Activetrack to follow my boat from the Marina out into Cape Cod Bay. I thought my better half was going to come with me, but at the last minute she bailed. Of course since I had already scheduled the flight with the local airport I decided to go solo (first mistake).

The plan was to use my Iphone for this flight so I could utilize the remote as a moving home point (my iPad doesn't have GPS). The plan was also to disable obstacle avoidance because the drone won't fly back to the boat with it on. I took off from the marina dock beside my boat and began to get things set up. When I tried to change the home point to dynamic the software told me the cell signal wasn't strong enough. Then when I tried to set up the activetrack it wouldn't go unless I enabled Obstacle avoidance. Admittedly this now has me a bit flustered but I figure I just pay close attention to the battery and if it goes into RTH I will cancel and fly it back to the boat manually. All of this messing around has my battery down to 70%. I'm such a stubborn son of a B, I should have aborted at this point, but I didn't.

I put the drone up about 60ft and behind my slip, set up activetrack, pressed Go, and when about my normal departure. I navigate through the finger piers and get into the main channel and notice the drone hasn't moved (I mistakenly choose the wrong mode). Of course the marina is busy, lots of boats coming and going from the slips and in the channel & let's not forget, I am alone. Because I'm using my Iphone, I can't really see what the problem is, I used the sticks to fly the drone closer to me out in the channel & I stay there for a while, dodging boat traffic while trying to figure out what the deal is with the drone. I can't really see the screen so I decide to abort.

I cancel the Activetrack mode and then proceed to shut down the obstacle avoidance but it won't shut off. The dam green slide bar will not slide, I tried everything, I could not get it to shut off. My battery is now getting low now and I'm in a moving boat, alone with a drone that is set up to avoid me...not a great feeling. The boat is 24ft with a hard top so the there really isn't that much room for error (even with Obstacle avoidance off). After about the 8th or 9th attempt to get the drone back to the boat, while dodging boat traffic I had this sinking feeling that this wasn't going to end well. I tried again to disable the sensors and it still wouldn't work. I eventually decided to stand on the swim platform to give myself at much distance from the hardtop as possible to fly across the back of the boat. After three or four attempts at this I was able to safely pluck it out of the air. So close to catastrophe, many lessons learned.

So why do you think the sensors could not be disabled? The patience and persistence in the situation obviously paid off in the end. Flying over water probably increases risk tenfold let alone trying to land on a moving object within it.

So why do you think the sensors could not be disabled?
I'm not sure, fat fingers, small phone, bad eyesight, damp hands...all of the above. I also got a little flustered by the boat traffic. It was pretty difficult being captain and pilot at the same time in that busy environment. I got back to the dock, hookep up my iPad and it worked just fine. I will try my phone again (over land) later today just out of curiosity.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18