DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Threadlock for rotors

manc54

Reactions
Can anybody recommend a good threadlock to use on the rotor blade screws of a mini 2. I don't want to use one that is too strong which may cause damage on removal. Thanks

Reactions: JohnnyD913
some thread lock compounds can actually harm plastics. It's been several years ago but the BLADE line of UAS had issues with blades breaking in flight and it was finally determined it came from a FORUM post suggesting the use of thread lock on the prop screws. When the thread lock is curing it was actually compromising the integrity of the plastic of the blade and causing in-flight failures. The solution was to apply it to the screws and allow it to dry prior to installing them in the blades but most of us quit using it on that part completely.

@manc54 replacement blades come with new screws and these are already coated with a dry form of thread lock, so just use the new screws when changing props,as DJI recommend ,there is no reason to remove the props, unless they have been damaged if you really must use the same screws then use a blue thread locker and just put a very tiny amount on the screw thread using a cocktail stick

@manc54 replacement blades come with new screws and these are already coated with a dry form of thread lock, so just use the new screws when changing props,as DJI recommend ,there is no reason to remove the props, unless they have been damaged if you really must use the same screws then use a blue thread locker and just put a very tiny amount on the screw thread using a cocktail stick
Understood thanks ?

Reactions: old man mavic
I love that “cocktail stick”. I presume that is a “ toothpick”? I will now use that much improved term in future conversation here in the USA. I always learn something from your posts. Thank you and I will look forward to my next opportunity.

• Haha
Reactions: old man mavic
Instead of the blue Loctite, which is for larger nut and bolts, you should look at the purple threadlocker from Locktite.
I think number is 222
And I know it is not the best on plastics, but if you are prudent, just a micro dot of the stuff will do it...

Last edited:
Can anybody recommend a good threadlock to use on the rotor blade screws of a mini 2. I don't want to use one that is too strong which may cause damage on removal. Thanks
Really if you just snug your screws you really don't need it . I've been flying my Mavic for almost 4yrs and never had an issue . Just don't wrench it down to tight and you should be good. Old school tip (hair spray)

I’m betting Teflon tape would do the trick..
Teflon has natural lubricity and will keep threads from sticking, just the opposite of what you're trying to do. Not to mention trying to put it on those tiny screws. I would think a tiny bit of blue locktite would be the way to go. As others have mentioned, new props come with screws that already have the thread locker applied.

I vaguely remember reading of a plastic-safe version of Locktite? The Great Googly could probably tell you...

Really if you just snug your screws you really don't need it . I've been flying my Mavic for almost 4yrs and never had an issue . Just don't wrench it down to tight and you should be good. Old school tip (hair spray)
Really hairspray !!!

Teflon has natural lubricity and will keep threads from sticking, just the opposite of what you're trying to do. Not to mention trying to put it on those tiny screws. I would think a tiny bit of blue locktite would be the way to go. As others have mentioned, new props come with screws that already have the thread locker applied.
Really huh..
Well then answer me this..
Why is it that on high pressure pipeline valves or any fitting we use TEFLON TAPE..
We don’t use thread locker..
We use Teflon because we r dealing with pressures from 500-2,500 PSI…
Teflon is designed to SEAL OFF the threads to prevent leakage as well as secure the grip..
Do u think ur thread locker would hold up?
I’m not gonna be working around a valve with 2,000 psi and threadlocker being used I can assure u of that…
Also I have used a razor blade to cut tiny strips of Teflon tape for small applications..
DUHHHHH…
U can use Krazy glue or any lock u want Bud
But I’ll stick to what I know…

@manc54 replacement blades come with new screws and these are already coated with a dry form of thread lock, so just use the new screws when changing props,
And before inserting the new screws you should run the original screws in/out a couple of times to clean out any remaining traces of the original blue thread lock. Otherwise the additional dry thread lock on the new screws can make too tight a fit.

When I swapped out the props the first time on my Mini I was really worried I might be cross-threading the screw, it was so hard to turn. But after I cleaned out the holes the new screws went in more easily. There is still some resistance because of the new loctite on the screws, but at least they threaded in cleanly and I was no longer worried I might actually snap off the tiny screw.

Instead of the blue Loctite, which is for larger nut and bolts, you should look at the purple threadlocker from Locktite.
I think number is 222
The data sheet from Henkel (the manufacturer) says "This product is not normally recommended for use on plastics". Loctite 425, Permabond 743 and Vibra-Tite 325 are all specially made for metal/plastic applications. They are cyanoacrylate-based but, unlike normal cyanoacrylate glues, are flexible and designed to be easy to release. However, they are also very expensive!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie