Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Three Month Review Tripltek 8 Pro

Bob in Savannah

Masters Patron
Reactions
Site
instagram.com
I just wanted to give a short, updated review of my experience using the Tripltek 8 Pro on my Mavic 3 the last several months.

I couldn't be more pleased. I have a friend that I met "in the wild" here in Savannah and he has the RC Pro. I like the convenience of the RC Pro and the added dials/options on the controller, but nothing seems to beat the huge bright display of the Tripltek. Even though my Tripltek is only rated 200 nits above the RC pro, its a huge difference to me here in Savannah, Ga with the blazing summer sun. Its easily twice the screen size and I never have an issue in direct sunlight around here. You still need the shaded display with the Pro anywhere around here in direct sunlight. Not needing that with the Tripltek is a tremendous advantage For Me.

I have NO PROBLEM going out as far as I want. Remember, Im flying over the marsh on the coast so I dont have any trees or anything keeping vlos obstructed. With a Firehouse arc v I can barely see it a couple miles out so I just turn around. the RCN1 controller still shows FULL BARS at over 2.5 miles out at dusk so I really dont have a reason to want/need more range. Its illegal, anyway, right? No telling how much further I could go considering I have full bars at 2.5 miles out... Another couple miles, im sure. lol

Outside of the 2 minutes it takes to attach the tablet to the controller and plug a wire in, the Tripltek is a superior device to use as a screen. Price wise, the RC Pro is another $400 higher and I just don't see myself dropping that now, obviously since I have the Tripltek. Maybe in a couple years down the road but this huge and tremendous display is NOT to be underrated in any way. It's the Top selling point for me. That and the fact that I can slide a sim card in it and it gets all my updated maps instantly. The RC Pro does NOT do this without a hot spot. Fortunately, I was on a family plan anyway and AT&T just sent me a sim card and my bill has stayed the same. I only use the tablet as a dedicated device for my M3.

Of course, I'm an old fart at 55 years old with failing eyes so that plays a big part in my love for the Tripltek. I still stand by my previous complaints about the tablet, though. Its antiquated OS makes it practically unusable for normal work-flow operations outside of flying a drone. It is super slow and lacks the ability to install MANY apps on the app store.

However, saying all that, there's a reason for that. With an older OS, the Tripltek circumnavigates the nonsense of constant current updates from Apple and Android which can and do handicap the DJI software until DJI can get a fix out. This happens ALL THE TIME. The Tripltek NEVER has these issues because the OS is so old it skips these updates and the Fly App continues to run perfectly. Its genius, really. Its a PERFECT DEDICATED device.

I couldn't be more happy with the Tripltek.

I'm equally satisfied with my Tripltek 7" Pro I purchased a while back. :)

Using a Tripltek 7" Pro here for the last year.Super tablet.
Have the brightness set at 85% all the time works great even
in direct sunlight.

I am also very happy with the Tripltek ver 8 on my M3. The RC pro might have some nice features over the RCN1 but the screen is so small that I would have to use another monitor anyway.

I still like my Tripltek 8 pro. I was curious about advantages/ disadvantages between RC Pro & Tripltek 8 Pro. Glad to hear my Tripltek is still a great option!

Reactions: MA2 317
I still like my Tripltek 8 pro. I was curious about advantages/ disadvantages between RC Pro & Tripltek 8 Pro. Glad to hear my Tripltek is still a great option!
Honestly, the only negative to the Tripltek compared to the RC Pro (for me, outside of 'time to setup') is the HDMI output. But, considering that is practically useless at the moment unless you want a dongle or something, the Tripltek still wins. Its much larger screen just cant be beat no matter how sweet the RC Pro is. Which, it is.

The Tripletek's archaic OS is actually a tremendous plus by circumnavigating any and all OS updates from any manufacturer showing up out of blue and handicapping your flight. Not that this happens on the RC Pro but it does happen on other devices...

The Fly App will always work like clockwork on the Tripltek.

Would be interested if you are only using H.264/4K.30FPS/Normal video or whether you have tried H.265/HEVC yet.
Interested to know what you H.264/AVC and H.265/HEVC playback performance on the TriplTek is like.

Bruthas I have found that playback of 4K 30fps video on the Tripltek 8 Pro is quite poor. I am talking about 8bit (not 10bit). With standard H.264 video there is a fare amount of choppiness. Some compromises that TriplTek made and all that TriplTek support can tell me is that the T8 has limitations in this area. Best player I found is MX Player, which mostly smooths things out, better than VLC.

Btw, the GPU built into the T8 apparently has H.264 encoder/decoder but the H.265 is only decoder. This should enable smooth playback does does not.

If you try to use 10bit (D-Cinelike) or H.265 you can forget about playback on the TriplTek 8 Pro because the level of choppiness and skipping is terrible. Not to mention that within the DJI Fly app you cannot even download directly to the T8 via QuickTransfer, you get a message indicating that this isn't supported while the same action works on other Android devices.

So other then the sub-par video playback and the terrible audio quality, other than that - no complaints.

Apparently these video issues are not present with the TriplTek 9 Pro but the audio appears to be the same.

One other thing. I posted some questions on the "TriplTek Tablet User's Group" and the TriplTek CEO then deleted that Facebook group, which I find highly suspicious. I have recreated the group so everybody is welcome to join without the communist TriplTek company silencing our free speech.

The Tripltek circumnavigates the nonsense of constant current updates from Apple and Android which can and do handicap the DJI software until DJI can get a fix out. This happens ALL THE TIME. The Tripltek NEVER has these issues because the OS is so old it skips these updates and the Fly App continues to run perfectly.
Sir, to suppress the Android updates which by the way would be app updates and security updates all you need to do is go into the Google settings on your tablet and set the updates to not auto download. This is the same for any Android device. See attached screenshot. Then all you do is check for updates when you want. Having said that if course, the DJI apps are not on Google play.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230610-112553.png
    Screenshot_20230610-112553.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 6
Sir, to suppress the Android updates which by the way would be app updates and security updates all you need to do is go into the Google settings on your tablet and set the updates to not auto download. This is the same for any Android device. See attached screenshot. Then all you do is check for updates when you want. Having said that if course, the DJI apps are not on Google play.
I'm sorry but you're incorrect with the Tripltek which can receive updates or "suppress" them(apps) in settings like any android BUT NOT OS UPDATES. The Tripltek is locked (Android 10, I think) and there is NO OPTION for current OS updates. That's what I was trying to say. So, no, it's NOT like any other Android.

I'm sorry but you're incorrect with the Tripltek which can receive updates or "suppress" them(apps) in settings like any android BUT NOT OS UPDATES. The Tripltek is locked (Android 10, I think) and there is NO OPTION for current OS updates. That's what I was trying to say. So, no, it's NOT like any other Android.
Well, the device is not locked to Android 10 persay, it's just that TriplTek have not provided an OS update for the T8 this far. Like all other Android devices, the vendor has to customize the Android OS for it's device then make it available. Samsung are way more active on that front. I have other Androids which are also stuck on older Android OS's (such as ASUS ZenPad). This is not unique to TriplTek. Having said that, when I enquired to TriplTek support about an Android 12 update for the T8 they told me that one is in the works but no ETA has been provided.

Well, the device is not locked to Android 10 persay, it's just that TriplTek have not provided an OS update for the T8 this far. Like all other Android devices, the vendor has to customize the Android OS for it's device then make it available. Samsung are way more active on that front. I have other Androids which are also stuck on older Android OS's (such as ASUS ZenPad). This is not unique to TriplTek. Having said that, when I enquired to TriplTek support about an Android 12 update for the T8 they told me that one is in the works but no ETA has been provided.
That was point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka