DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time to upgrade from .400? GPS restrictions finally came to me...

KiterTodd

Reactions
A year ago I backed my firmware back to .400 because I was flying in a place with an authorization zone (small unmanned airstrip) that the DJI would not fly in. DJI map showed it as a red no-fly zone. If I go to the B4UFly app, it shows it as a yellow authorization zone.

Long story short, that's really the only reason I stayed with .400. I was in the same area in July, 2017 and also found .400 to let me fly just fine.

However, I just got back from a trip last week, and somehow my Mavic will no longer fly in a zone that it used to be able to fly in. When I look at the in Go4 App map it does note this area as no-fly and forces a landing. I'm not sure what map updates made their way to my drone/app combo but since I'm now locked out, no reasons to stay with .400 as far as I know.

Or are there?

I figure in a years time there have been many updates, and I might as well try them. The new Flight Modes more than anything would be nice.

However, I want to make sure there is no reason to stay with .400 before I move on?
Other than requiring that one-time login, which doesn't sound like a big deal, is there any other functionality freedom I will lose if I move to the current Mavic firmware?

Reactions: wsteele
I thought that the NFZ database was separate from the firmware. I know it sometimes prompts me to update in the app. I am still on the old .700 but not for NFZ reasons - I always keep that up to date.

I thought that the NFZ database was separate from the firmware. I know it sometimes prompts me to update in the app. I am still on the old .700 but not for NFZ reasons - I always keep that up to date.
Yeah, maybe they updated the NFZ database that's pushed to me or something.

Something changed in the last 9 months, but I'm not sure what it was.

Why have you kept yourself at .700?

Yeah, maybe they updated the NFZ database that's pushed to me or something.

Something changed in the last 9 months, but I'm not sure what it was.

Do you keep up to date on the DJI app? For some reason I thought that NFZs were stored both on the AC and on the app. So if you updated the app, it would update the app's NFZs and not allow you to fly? Not sure, just an idea.

It has been so solid for all these months, I just like it. Had problems with my Spark caused blindly updating and was out of action for a while waiting for the fix. Also .700 allows config changes that can't be done on later revs so I decided to just stay there as long as possible. Something like 9 months now and all is good.

It was explained to me that too many pilots were flying in no fly zones and restricted air space. Not only in the USA put pressure on DJI but others countries as well. That is why the forced update on our firmware.

Just know that it's difficult to get back to older firmwares if you update straight to the latest. I'd just stay at .400 and update the parameters to unlock NFZs.

I'll leave it on .400 and do some digging to get a modified firmware that allows tweaking and excludes NFZ.
Not going to post any links as I'm not sure how sensitive this forum is with modifying these days..

I'll leave it on .400 and do some digging to get a modified firmware that allows tweaking and excludes NFZ.
Not going to post any links as I'm not sure how sensitive this forum is with modifying these days..

Is a great luck for you to remain in 0.400 original firmware, is the best. Do not change absolutely. If you want with this firmware is possible change any values of mavic by old version of assist in debug mode (search for in internet). I' leave it on .400 too and my mavic fly very well, very fast, high and to long distance also if in Italy (country limited for power of trasmission signal).
If you get a modified firmware that allows tweaking and excludes NFZ is not the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: KiterTodd
It was explained to me that too many pilots were flying in no fly zones and restricted air space. Not only in the USA put pressure on DJI but others countries as well. That is why the forced update on our firmware.
That's what DJI wants people to believe. I guess no country is putting pressure on DJI to update no fly zones, except maybe communist China? The aviation authorities couldn't care less if a toy maker (as they usually put it) restricts flying anywhere.

No fly zones is a big part of the social media marketing strategy for DJI. It allows DJI to keep an extra handle on their users and keep coming back with forced updates. They provide a false sense of safety to the public, making them think DJI takes care of everything. We had a temporarily huge no fly zone for the winter period but it was not on the DJI list. 'Hey I can fly here, DJI says so'. Of course I have spotted DJI hobby flyers regularly there.

In fact, our CAA says it poses a problem if hobbyists think they can fly wherever DJI doesn't restrict them. Toy makers (again, that's the way the FAA and CAA(s) think about them) aren't supposed to make their own interpretation of aviation laws.

Stay with .400 and use old Go4 app such as 4.0.6 and see if you can fly in the area that you usually can fly before. If that solve your problem, stay with it and never update both the FW and the app.

A year ago I backed my firmware back to .400 because I was flying in a place with an authorization zone (small unmanned airstrip) that the DJI would not fly in. DJI map showed it as a red no-fly zone. If I go to the B4UFly app, it shows it as a yellow authorization zone.

Long story short, that's really the only reason I stayed with .400. I was in the same area in July, 2017 and also found .400 to let me fly just fine.

However, I just got back from a trip last week, and somehow my Mavic will no longer fly in a zone that it used to be able to fly in. When I look at the in Go4 App map it does note this area as no-fly and forces a landing. I'm not sure what map updates made their way to my drone/app combo but since I'm now locked out, no reasons to stay with .400 as far as I know.

Or are there?

I figure in a years time there have been many updates, and I might as well try them. The new Flight Modes more than anything would be nice.

However, I want to make sure there is no reason to stay with .400 before I move on?
Other than requiring that one-time login, which doesn't sound like a big deal, is there any other functionality freedom I will lose if I move to the current Mavic firmware?
To answer your question, I finally relented and upgraded, wanting goggle functionality.
Other than an occasional NFZ nannying. ( I am usually able to self authorize), I’ve had no other functionality loss or restrictions.
She’s performed as well or better than before.
Do be advised, as stated by others, that backpedaling is more difficult with later versions, but I’ve not had the urge or need anyway.
Don’t get me wrong, the nanny stuff is BS, but unless the Mavic is absolutely your last drone, we’d better get used to it because it’s coming whether we like it or not.

To answer your question, I finally relented and upgraded, wanting goggle functionality.
Other than an occasional NFZ nannying. ( I am usually able to self authorize), I’ve had no other functionality loss or restrictions.
She’s performed as well or better than before.
Do be advised, as stated by others, that backpedaling is more difficult with later versions, but I’ve not had the urge or need anyway.
Don’t get me wrong, the nanny stuff is BS, but unless the Mavic is absolutely your last drone, we’d better get used to it because it’s coming whether we like it or not.
Thanks, yes. That's what I wanted to know. Sounds like you're okay with the latest.

That said, with all the encouragement to stay with .400, I'll probably still do so. My Mavic flies fine except for every few flights the gimble will go all wonky like a bird is attacking it, visual goes crooked for a while, and I bring it back home. Then on the way home it usually self-corrects and I either continue flying, or land/take-off again. Always looks very sketchy, but so far, doesn't seem to affect flight. Just video. Anyone else see this bug?

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Thanks, yes. That's what I wanted to know. Sounds like you're okay with the latest.

That said, with all the encouragement to stay with .400, I'll probably still do so. My Mavic flies fine except for every few flights the gimble will go all wonky like a bird is attacking it, visual goes crooked for a while, and I bring it back home. Then on the way home it usually self-corrects and I either continue flying, or land/take-off again. Always looks very sketchy, but so far, doesn't seem to affect flight. Just video. Anyone else see this bug?

Yes, that's the gimbal reset problem. No fix for it as far as I'm aware. Some say changing the memory card might help. Didn't help me though.

I wouldn't the bird back when it happens. I normally let it hover and it auto corrects itself within a minute. Video recording normally stops though.

Maybe you may want to consider upgrading to .700 without 905 module. Then for the app, use modded apk without NFZ. You need to check around for the version of apk without NFZ as some versions do have NFZ. I can't recall which one right now.

Yes, that's the gimbal reset problem. No fix for it as far as I'm aware. Some say changing the memory card might help. Didn't help me though.

I wouldn't the bird back when it happens. I normally let it hover and it auto corrects itself within a minute. Video recording normally stops though.
Wow, I heard about that a long time ago, but figured it'd been resolved by now and was just a factor of me staying with .400. Good to know I'm safe to wait and keep flying. It comes up suddenly and has certainly sketched me out enough to cut some productive flights short...

Yeah it's really annoying and scary when it happens. But it hasn't got me in the last few months. Just lucky I'm sure.

Look for the DJI Go4 app version 4.4.4........uninstall current app in device, then throw in 4.4.4.
You should be good to go.
I am on .400 (what came out of the box over a year ago) for the AC and 4.4.4 on the app. zero nfz, zero height/distance limits, no gimbal issues, and no naggy test/quizes...
Never updated a batteries, AC, controller, or the app.
I always kill my wifi/cell signal when I power up my AC and LG tabby.
I decide when/if Mavic "phones home"......

i live in a cluster of small airports and shoot commercially. at one client shoot, i called the tower, got cleared, but the toy-maker wouldn't let me fly. i've been on .400 for almost year now with no issues. i have a tablet that is dedicated to the mavic, its always in airplane mode and a firewall blocking DJI as well. i am operating 100% within the law. it's a shame this toy-maker feels it should interfere.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scATC1001