DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tiny crack in body near rear leg attachment

Whitefalcon

Reactions
Hi,
I had a minor collision today with a tree. Drone fell short distance to floor onto grass. The rear leg was slightly misaligned so I had to re screw the attachment to the main body. There is a very small crack where the screw goes into the body. Is this a major problem or nothing to worry about? The drone flies OK with no problems. Don't want the hassle of sending it off to repair which for me will be sending it to the Netherlands and using up a refresh.
Anyone else had this and come to grief from not repairing it?IMG_7640.jpeg

@Whitefalcon the issue with a stress crack is that they tend to carry on going ,until they cause a failure ,the way to stop it from getting worse ,is to drill a tiny hole at the end of it, and then carefully apply some two part epoxy ,being very careful not to let it get on the moving parts of the leg hinge the down side of doing a repair would be compromising the refresh package ,if you feel happy to continue flying with it ,then just keep a very careful eye on the crack to see if it gets worse,my recommendation would be to get it sent in for refresh ,

Yes, like OMM said, left unchecked, the crack will propagate from the original crack until something gives way. For cracks, OMM's repair tip is the standard. I might even bridged the crack with a small piece of very thin carbon fiber sheet for reinforcement.
Gee, don't want to sound like a broken record here, but also agree with OMM, sending it in would probably be the best choice if you have Care plan. Specially if you have the plan and have never used it and the plan's year end gets closer and closer.

I am curious, since it was a rear arm that seems to have taken the greatest blow, were you using Quickshots?

Just FYI.. individual body parts can be found on eBay, however, would likely require a very significant teardown to change, and for the average person, the risk of doing further damage to the more expensive parts would be very high...Not recommended for most.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-21 212201.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-21 212201.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member