DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Random Crack in Leg Around Front Light

QueenAng

Reactions
Disappointing To see that My Drone has a Random Crack Around the light on one of the feet. ive never crashed it, honestly i barely even fly it, and its sat in my Pelican Box All the way up until now where i now keep it on a shelf, so i have to assume that while landing, the drone somehow had enough force when landing that it pushed the leg back slightly, resulting in the plastic to crack. it really doesn't seem like this would be possible, but i see no other reason for this to have occured.
20230705_215331.jpgRa

It's not just a slight crack—there are broken plastic pieces in there up at the top. It takes a lot of force to do that.

Do you have kids that might have taken it for a spin without permission?

Chris

It's not just a slight crack—there are broken plastic pieces in there up at the top. It takes a lot of force to do that.

Do you have kids that might have taken it for a spin without permission?

Chris
No, i Don't have kids. Im the only one that uses it, And it is protected in a Box So i don't see how it could have been damaged in storage.
Obviously the drone will still fully function fine, But I just noticed it as i was putting it away. There has been times Where When landing i had to move slightly forward, Which would put a little bit of side force on the front legs since they hit the ground first, but it doesn't seem like enough to ever do that. there is no crack behind the leg, and the 3 screws are still holding it in, So i don't know how it was caused.
Talking About the 3 Screws reminded me that the foot can be replaced, and i just looked and it does look like the entire part thats broken is the top of the foot attachment, and is not part of the Arm, so it would be replaceable with this Generic Ebay China Replacement Foot For $10 if i did want to replace it, But ill probably just leave it since it doesn't affect use.

Yes you can replace it.

I'm in the same boat, having landed my craft hard (crashed onto the deck of a boat from about 30' up) and it messed up the leg quite a bit. I ordered a new one. However, like yours, the leg still functions, so I haven't replaced it.

If it was just an easy swap out with the screws, it would have been done by now. But there's a problem: that LED light is not easy to take out and then put in the new leg. It takes some surgery to take it out (I've seen videos with an exacto knife, another with a dremel drill). And then you have to get the light into the new leg and it's not easy (the putting into the new leg is the hard part, since you don't care much about the old leg).

So I've just lived with the bent leg I have, in which the LED still functions.

Chris

It does take a fairly substantial force to break that.

From memory you might also have to desolder and resolder the wires going to the LED board or 'adjust' the opening on the new leg so that you can pass the LED board through the opening. If you do go the soldering route, PHOTOGRAPH the connections so that you can see which wire goes where etc..

From memory I glued mine but I do not think mine was as badly broken as yours.

The LED lens/cover is a pain in the derrière.

Last edited:
im seeing a bigger crack now going down the left side of the light after just flying, so i think the landing is somehow damaging the light

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas