DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tip on setting offline waypoints

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
This is not immediately obvious: If you have the drone connected to the controller, and are in the camera view, if you try to set waypoints with the C! button, the Fly app will tell you that you have to be in the air.

But if you are in the map view, Fly will let you set waypoints just fine – whether or not the drone is in the air. Just tap on the screen, rather than hitting the C1 button, to set a waypoint.

The ability to do all of this on a computer or an iPad would be greatly appreciated, but waypoints work pretty well as-is. (That’s for the RC 2 – If you’re using the RC-N2 and your iPad to fly the drone, I guess you would be doing waypoints on the iPad…)

It would also be nice at some point to have the option to fly a grid. I miss that from DroneLink on my Air 2.

EDIT: This originally said that you could add way points "whether or not the drone is connected," but that was incorrect. If the drone is not connected, you can't get to the map view at all. The "GO FLY" button has to show on the home screen. Apologies!

Last edited:
This is not immediately obvious: If you have the drone connected to the controller, and are in the camera view, if you try to set waypoints the Fly app will tell you that you have to be in the air.

But if you are in the map view, Fly will let you set waypoints just fine – whether or not the drone is in the air, whether or not the drone is connected.

The ability to do all of this on a computer or an iPad would be greatly appreciated, but waypoints work pretty well as-is. (That’s for the RC 2 – If you’re using the RC-N2 and your iPad to fly the drone, I guess you would be doing waypoints on the iPad…)

It would also be nice at some point to have the option to fly a grid. I miss that from DroneLink on my Air 2.
Perhaps DJI thinks it is obvious that if you are not in the air flying, that you must be in the map view to set them. Admittedly, a better explanation from the camera view, explaining that switching to the map view works too, would help. However, I suspect that it may be intentional, as any offline created Waypoint Mission is far more likely to lead to crashes than one created while flying the route manually first! They are "hiding" the map view offline option.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian