DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips on clearing a bridge or any overhang?

bzmot

Reactions
I'm a new flyer (Mavic Air) so forgive me if this subject maybe has been discussed at length here already. I have not found any such topics yet.
Do you guys have any tips on how to get a feel whether the drone is going to squeeze under a structure, such as a bridge? That is how to see whether my actual flight level is ok to not crash against the bridge but to fit under it safely.
I'm not talking about flying techniques, such as turning VPS off or setting RTH to hover.
Just asking from the point of view of the actual positioning of the bird. I have seen some tips on youtube where a guy said you have to get close to a bridge and if from that point you can see the opposite edge of the underside of the bridge in the camera, you will squeeze through. That doesn't sound very convincing and is very vague. But perhaps I am not understanding this fully. Anyone care to comment?

Like I said, I'm not talking about retaining control of the bird once under the bridge. I am talking about choosing the correct altitude to go under it safely.

Like I said, I'm not talking about retaining control of the bird once under the bridge. I am talking about choosing the correct altitude to go under it safely.
the correct altitude would depend on the size of the bridge and your surrounding's, I would still scan through the posts of others experience's as some could point you to the info you want

thank you.
I am talking about a situation where due to my relative distance and/or difference in altitude between me and the bridge I cannot judge if the bird will fit thru line of sight. I only rely on the camera and what the camera sees. This is what I am talking about, how to judge if I am low enough by looking through the camera.

I've been going under bridges, long before I heard of any problems, so I didn't have any.
I always fly under backwards, leave plenty clearance and don't hang about underneath. Obstacle avoidance is always on, hence the backwards method.
Mavic Pro though, not Air.

I've been going under bridges, long before I heard of any problems, so I didn't have any.
I always fly under backwards, leave plenty clearance and don't hang about underneath. Obstacle avoidance is always on, hence the backwards method.
Mavic Pro though, not Air.
Out of curiosity, why backwards then, I'm assuming you have obstacle avoidance in the front too?

I see, so I would make sure on approach I could see the underside of the bridge on its far side. with the camera gimbal UP setting disabled so as to get a true straight ahead perspective on screen.

Reactions: bzmot
Out of curiosity, why backwards then, I'm assuming you have obstacle avoidance in the front too?

The bird didn't like going up to the bridge forwards because of the front facing OA, as there is none at the rear of the MP, I thought I would try it and it worked. I'll attach a cropped version of the film, showing the MP going backwards under the first arched bridge, then forwards under a footbridge further down the river.
Maybe my naivety got me away with this, but there was never as much as a hiccup both times, or since.
I did this one before I had filters and about a month after I got my bird.

Reactions: bzmot
I'm a new flyer (Mavic Air) so forgive me if this subject maybe has been discussed at length here already. I have not found any such topics yet.
Do you guys have any tips on how to get a feel whether the drone is going to squeeze under a structure, such as a bridge? That is how to see whether my actual flight level is ok to not crash against the bridge but to fit under it safely.
I'm not talking about flying techniques, such as turning VPS off or setting RTH to hover.
Just asking from the point of view of the actual positioning of the bird. I have seen some tips on youtube where a guy said you have to get close to a bridge and if from that point you can see the opposite edge of the underside of the bridge in the camera, you will squeeze through. That doesn't sound very convincing and is very vague. But perhaps I am not understanding this fully. Anyone care to comment?

If people can fly indoors I don’t see why the short time under a bridge should present any obstacles.

I normally turn off RTH if I'm flying under obstacles...when trying to gauge clearance under a bridge it is best to have to drone and flight path directly in front of you... however as you approach the bridge look at your screen, if you can see the edge of the structure on the opposite side, you'll have clearance. This also works when flying over things as well.

Reactions: Odom1957
I agree with above, set your gimbal level, lower the drone till you can see the other side of the bridge, then you'll be low enough.

Just make sure you use two points on the bridge that are at the same elevation.

I don't know if this helps but when flying into an area where there are obstacles (usually trees for me) and it is not clear by LOS whether I have clearance, I wall stop at a safe distance and with the camera pointed straight ahead, slowly yaw around in a 360 looking for unfriendly objects.

these days bridges r low. i woud avoid flyinng under it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka