DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips on how to maximize flight time MA

KevinMA

Reactions
I’m wondering what everyone does to maximize their flight time ?

For example does recording or taking pictures use more battery and if so how much ?

When returning home on low battery does flying in sport mode make more sense as the bird comes home faster or let it come home in the standard mode which takes longer ? Which is the right option when you’re facing a low critical battery going off it I’m bored

Maximizing flight time is NOT the only consideration. First, you need to decide what you want to do on your flight; the nature of your mission will determine what the flight time will be. For example, if you'll be flying near people or other obstacles, installing prop guards will be very desirable, but it will also cut into your flight time, due to added drag and weight. My Mavic Air gives a warning message when it senses that you're taking off with additional weight.

For your specific question about recording, the answer is YES - recording vs no recording drains the battery faster. I've never seen anyone quantify the "endurance penalty" for recording, or any other activity.

Flying in Sport mode, drains the battery faster than the P mode. Flying faster does mean you'll get there sooner, BUT flying faster WILL also drain the battery faster. There are other threads on the forums that discuss the "optimum" speed, so I won't rehash them here.

Keep in mind that your flight time estimates are just that: estimates. While they are pretty accurate, they're not perfect, so you have to actually plan to land with a healthy margin of power left. The "power gauge" does NOT factor in winds aloft, which actually varies with altitude. If you're flying over a huge open area, a forced landing due to low power may not be a big deal; that is not the case if you're flying over a lake/ocean where any landing is a guaranteed total loss of your expensive little "toy"

Also another tip I can add is that if possible, reduce the travel time of your drone.
It means if you can get nearer to the place you wanted to shoot take a walk and fly your drone from there.

I often land my drone after taking short videos and some photos and then I take a walk on another spot farther if I can.

From my experience, 16 mins is long enough for me to take videos and photos if I know when, where, and what to shoot.

Though it was marketed it can fly up to 21 minutes, but on my experience 16 mins is the longest time I can fly.

It’s a good question, look forward to hearing people’s thoughts as well.

It’s not that exciting of an approach, but I know I get more out of my flights if I’ve pre-planned what shots I want to take. I try to lock away in my mind creative shots I see on YouTube or whatever and then plan out how I want to do it before I get the bird up into the air. I’ll try and force myself to plan out the lighting adjustments, order of what I want to capture, etc. Usually I’m done in like 5-10mins.

It’s hard, I’m always fighting the temptation to just launch it and fly around aimlessly, then work out what I want to do ?

I try and do the same as everyone has stated above. Plan your flight before hand. I have also seen 1-2min longer flights with Master Air Props. MAP hasn't announced it yet, but they just finished up their newest version of the Mavic Air Props. I have their 1st Gen Props and they have been great. Gains set to 80%. I also have their new Props on the way to me now. Going to compare them and see what the differences are.

You may also switch off the drone's lights to save a little battery power.

It's marketing, I know my Expedition gets nowhere near Fords claims either. Been to a fast food place? Ever have a burger look like the picture? They test things under ideal perfect conditions with the freshest batteries possible, no wind & very delicate controls. Cars are stripped down as much as possible, driven with the wind, gentle touches, not outright lies mind you, just clever manipulations of the truth. Products are seldom real world tested.
Also another tip I can add is that if possible, reduce the travel time of your drone.
It means if you can get nearer to the place you wanted to shoot take a walk and fly your drone from there.

I often land my drone after taking short videos and some photos and then I take a walk on another spot farther if I can.

From my experience, 16 mins is long enough for me to take videos and photos if I know when, where, and what to shoot.

Though it was marketed it can fly up to 21 minutes, but on my experience 16 mins is the longest time I can fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB