DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

to keep or to return mini

that was rude, at least i think so

I don't think it's rude at all.
Asking for help is different to having a whinge and returning a product because the person didn't read anything.
If you're dropping some decent coin on a device without doing any research at all, you either a) have more money than most and therefore can afford to buy a compatible device, or b) just don't care.

Personally I think that retailers shouldn't accept returns unless the device doesn't operate with a device it says it will.
If people can't be bothered reading, that's not DJIs, or the retailers fault.
And now they have a second hand device to try and return/sell/refurbish.

My phone isn't supported, but I bought it anyway, because the wifes device is, so I knew it would at least work with something in my house.

The amount of people on this very forum asking the same questions over and over, even when the answer is in the the manual, is mind-blowing...

I'm starting to think there should be MORE drone rules.

Rule #1: If you haven't read the manual, the drone wont fly.
They should even put some manual-related questions in the app so you can't take off without answering them.

/end rant

Reactions: dr_dumi
I don't think it's rude at all.
Asking for help is different to having a whinge and returning a product because the person didn't read anything.
If you're dropping some decent coin on a device without doing any research at all, you either a) have more money than most and therefore can afford to buy a compatible device, or b) just don't care.

Personally I think that retailers shouldn't accept returns unless the device doesn't operate with a device it says it will.
If people can't be bothered reading, that's not DJIs, or the retailers fault.
And now they have a second hand device to try and return/sell/refurbish.

My phone isn't supported, but I bought it anyway, because the wifes device is, so I knew it would at least work with something in my house.

The amount of people on this very forum asking the same questions over and over, even when the answer is in the the manual, is mind-blowing...

I'm starting to think there should be MORE drone rules.

Rule #1: If you haven't read the manual, the drone wont fly.
They should even put some manual-related questions in the app so you can't take off without answering them.

/end rant
your 100-% right more rules, less ?s and more rules........

Reactions: Thanev
Having flown in the "early" days, 2013 when DJI came out with the Phantom (now referred to as Phantom 1), I'm used to all the wire, antennas, kluged monitor, external battery, holder for it all , non-gimbaled Go-Pro with 7 or 8 minutes flight time. Things have improved - and not just a little!

Got a Mavic 2P with Smart Controller a few weeks back. Just WOW! I'd like a smaller drone too, but the Smart Controller has me spoiled so I'll have to wait for them to come out with smaller models that are compatible with the SC.

But the newfangled stuff is nothing if not complex. The manuals and instructions that come with it are brief to the extreme - - there're more fleshed out versions online, but that's not readily apparent from the verbiage that comes in the box - - or at least it was not to me.

When you discourage newbie questions, you walk a fine line between helpful and unpleasant. Better to be welcoming and answer or at least point them in the right direction.

Last edited:
I've been flying for 27 yrs total. I'm **** good at it. Haven't flown in 10 years but it's deep in my soul and part of who I am, and I'm still lost finding my way with all the little details that wouldn't be an issue with what I used to do. I'm not much into the cell phones, the only reason I have an I phone 5c is because is was given to me, still works, just not for this. I do have a new i pad, my 2nd one which is what I plan to use with a mount for a display so as not to purchase a new phone. There is a lot to take in and think about and the reason I have not ordered a drone is that there's a lot to consider before spending that much money. When I was younger I was fearless when it came to distance and height and all line of sight (used to thermal fly as well). I noticed as I got older how the thought of a fly a way or problem over buildings and traffic concerned me much more. Watching videos of flights at great distance is impressive, but something I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with the way I was with the planes. I'm sure that will come with practice. The big draw for me is the AP side of it. That part of it is worth the risk and the investment. Low and slow to start, lol.
i agree with you, i am looking at all things to make it ez as the hands and eyes get older, 71 soon but still can fly rings around the younger ones

Having flown in the "early" days, 2013 when DJI came out with the Phantom (now referred to as Phantom 1), I'm used to all the wire, antennas, kluged monitor, external battery, holder for it all , non-gimbaled Go-Pro with 7 or 8 minutes flight time. Things have improved - and not just a little!

Got a Mavic 2P with Smart Controller a few weeks back. Just WOW! I'd like a smaller drone too, but the Smart Controller has me spoiled so I'll have to wait for them to come out with smaller models that are compatible with the SC.

But the newfangled stuff is nothing if not complex. The manuals and instructions that come with it are brief to the extreme - - there're more fleshed out versions online, but that's not readily apparent from the verbiage that comes in the box - - or at least it was not to me.

When you discourage newbie questions, you walk a fine line between helpful and unpleasant. Better to be welcoming and answer or at least point them in the right direction.
you got that 100% plus.......being in rc for 40 years i loved when a new guy asked for help, the guys that said oh can do this dont need your help....well we got his dues and never seen them aian

your 100-% right more rules, less ?s and more rules

I like your sarcasm..

Less of the same questions, that are answered in the manual, and on every single mini forum ever, or can be seen with a 2 second search with google. Or a scroll thru the first two pages of mavic pilots!
Is that really too much to ask?
That people try "search"?
Or Google?

If people have become that stupid that they can't do any of these things, maybe, just maybe, they shouldn't be outside operating a thing with blades on it remotely.

And really, it's just one more rule... RTFM.

Thumbswayup

Reactions: Bigbird48
Is this for real? I bought my MM after almost a month of YT videos, forums and other people comments. Most of the videos I watched, people were using apple devices, so for sure, using an iPhone, will do the trick. It worked great with my iPhone X and it still does.
Now, I don't know about you guys in the rest of the world, but purchasing a MM (at least at this point of the year) it's quite difficult since DJI ships only a couple of them and they are quite hard to get your hands on, most of the shops are out of stocks (especially now around the X-mas period). There are people wishing they could get their drone, play with it and in general be happy with it, and you are unsure if you want to keep it or not, because of the compatibile screen-device. C'mon man..

Mavic Pro. iPad for the bigger screen “old eyes” ?
iPad mini would be a good compromise.
Use mine for photography not aerial acrobatics.
No crashes, no near misses,
I don’t go for height distance records.
It’s not a toy.
I have kept up with tech advances and very computer savvy.
Read the manual, watched YouTube tutorials, read the forum extensively and learnt from others mistakes and advice. The vast problems arise from user error.
I use Apple and PC but because I had IPhone when I bought the Mavic I stayed with that then the IPad.
Personally I am happy with Mavic Pro linked to IPad.

that was rude, at least i think so, an 2nd i like the idea of people asking for help, i have been in RC for 40 years or more and everytime we get a person we try like hell to make them feel as welcome as we can

Well said Tinker! For what it’s worth IMHO this forum is very much like the RC community with lots of friendly people eager help. At least that has been my experience. Bigbird48’s comment was in no way helpful and condescending as well. Please don’t let that influence your opinion of this forum.

I have a OnePlus 6t which works well with DJI Go 4. It's also listed as a compatible device with the mavic mini as well. Most of their recommended devices are quite high-end, but I got the OnePlus because it has good specs as a general device and is waaay cheaper than the big brang names and has no crapware! I just checked the DJi website, their compatible devices are:

iOS v1.0.3
Requires iOS 10.0 or above.

Recommended models: Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6.

Android v1.0.3
Requires Android 6.0 or above.

Recommended models: Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S10+, Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S9+, Samsung Galaxy S9 , Samsung Galaxy S8+, Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy Note9, Samsung Galaxy Note8, HUAWEI P30 Pro, HUAWEI P30, HUAWEI P20, HUAWEI P10, HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro, HUAWEI Mate 10, HUAWEI nova 5, HUAWEI nova 4, HUAWEI nova 3e, HUAWEI nova 2, Honor 8X, Honor V10, Honor 9, Honor 20 Pro, Honor Magic 2, Mi 8, Mi MIX 2S, Mi MIX 2, Redmi Note 5, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, vivo NEX, vivo X27, vivo X21, vivo X20A, OnePlus 7, OnePlus 6T, OnePlus 5, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 2, Pixel, LG V20, LG G6.

i bought one a few days back.... have been reading these forms for 5 days now...50% crash, 50 almost crash, 50% they fly, ok i know that 150%......is it what?.......wrote to DJI and asked what to use, phone, table whats best, they havent written back and i am sure they wont, in they info there no real help as whats best to use or dont use....for over 550.00 theres got to be the right way and the crash way........after flying RC planes for 40 years this i thought would be cut and dry

Not sure how much of a role its playing but many mavic mini users are first time flyers. I gotta think at least half are user error like getting disoriented as to the drones attitude and then get flown into creeks and trees.

Not sure how much of a role its playing but many mavic mini users are first time flyers. I gotta think at least half are user error like getting disoriented as to the drones attitude and then get flown into creeks and trees.
i well agree, i have 40 yrs of rc flying

Reactions: TIm Whatles DDS
I have been using a Note 8 with good results. Bought an iPad 10.2, while favorable priced. First experience with IOS. Mounted on a MavMount on a tripod with extended cord. Relaxing, seated flying. Ipad works well, no glitches, good screen size and lighting. Happy so far. I like the alternative. Happy, Healthy New Year and safe flying.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardomavic