DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To license or not to license

MesaAZGuy

Reactions
That is the question.

Despite being a hobbyist flyer, would it be in my best interest to get certified 107 or just plead the ignorant consumer? I only fly for pleasure however if rules change, maybe I can get grandfathered in before the apocalypse....

Yes, I've seen the whole "pilot" thing create much controversy. Unless I'm risking my life inside a flying machine while controlling it, I'll just stick to the term, R/C pilot...

If you are a hobby pilot and don't plan on going commercial I would say to pass up the part 107 certification. It will impose many new restrictions on you and require waivers for some of the things you do now without needing anything special.

PS - Call yourself a pilot or an operator, it doesn't bother me either way. :D

Reactions: Bizo
If you are a hobby pilot and don't plan on going commercial I would say to pass up the part 107 certification. It will impose many new restrictions on you and require waivers for some of the things you do now without needing anything special.

This is not accurate. You can always fly under hobby rules as a commercial pilot, but it needs to be just that. So a night flight for fun = no problem. Night flight for a paid job = waiver needed. I do understand there could be problems with this, which is why keeping an accurate flight log is very important.

I am studying for the 107 but haven't decided if I'm going to go for it. The information I am reading in the study guide is very useful and I would advise everyone to a least read it through once. It may save your bird someday!

Yes, I've seen the whole "pilot" thing create much controversy. Unless I'm risking my life inside a flying machine while controlling it, I'll just stick to the term, R/C pilot...

Really? I've never seen any of that here. As Dan says, a pilot is a pilot!

This is not accurate. You can always fly under hobby rules as a commercial pilot, but it needs to be just that. So a night flight for fun = no problem. Night flight for a paid job = waiver needed. I do understand there could be problems with this, which is why keeping an accurate flight log is very important.

I am studying for the 107 but haven't decided if I'm going to go for it. The information I am reading in the study guide is very useful and I would advise everyone to a least read it through once. It may save your bird someday!
Thanks for clarifying it, and I agree completely about learning the information needed to get a part 107 certification. The more knowledge you have the better operator/pilot you'll be.

Thanks for clarifying it, and I agree completely about learning the information needed to get a part 107 certification. The more knowledge you have the better operator/pilot you'll be.

I thought you had to be one or the other as well -- was worried because I didn't want to give up my night flying if I got my pilot's licence. But I read up and you just need to decide BEFORE take off what rules you are flying under, hence the log book to CYA. :)

Love all the info sharing here! Thanks!

Reactions: MesaAZGuy
That is the question.

Despite being a hobbyist flyer, would it be in my best interest to get certified 107 or just plead the ignorant consumer? I only fly for pleasure however if rules change, maybe I can get grandfathered in before the apocalypse....
If you were thinking about doing it now in case the rules change, remember, it's only good for 2 years so if anything drastic changes, you'll have to retake the test eventually anyway.

Reactions: MesaAZGuy
When you add up my included 500k homeowners liability insurance coverage and my 2,500,000 AMA liability coverage I have $3,000,000 in lability insurance for $75.00 a
Year. See how much that would cost with a part 107.

Simply get the 107. Nice to have if you get a job offer and you will be a smarter pilot (in theory). That's what I did. I trained with remotepilot101.com.

I did get my 107 a few months ago. With the thought that I would try to jump into a side business eventually. Granted I haven't been pushing it too much but, the state of regulations (in effect & proposed), and public attitude has me more than a little discouraged. Have been doing some traveling this summer and basically use the drone as a hobbyist. Posting pics to FB just for likes, not money.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661