DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Too many issues... too many restrictions recently developing.

Blame people like DigDato for all the new restrictions and laws as he teaches people to mod their Mavic. Completely irresponsible and stupid!!
i think it is time you get your facts together, before you start spewing your "own opinion" around on the internet. If you have any proof that what he, or anyone else is doing directly, then show it. Be a man, and stop this little rants of yours. It doesnt help with anything.

Reactions: Mxs
Well... it goes back to this, the FAA has guidelines for flying drones for hobbyists... and they have part 107 for commercial drone operators. I don't need DJI sending my machine GEO fencing updates to keep me from following the guidelines. No more than I need Ford putting a restrictor on the Tarus for 70mph speed limit or a 35mph speed limit.

Falcon - While I in theory agree with the concept of corporate over-reach by DJI, they having a reported 70% of the market a being cautious by imposing limited flight based on the mapping of various types of "airfields".

The problem is DJI and other manufactures have made the new crop of multi-rotors so easy to fly that basically anyone can take them out of the box and put them into the air. Couple that with the attitudes of many young people today the potential for major problems for DJI caused by regulations from many countries is huge.

They are taking an offensive posture in the hopes of staving off outright banning of their products.

What needs to happen is the "media" needs to stop reporting unsubstantiated claims of near misses. Just MHO....

Reactions: ElPocho and Mxs
I am starting to give up on this hobby as a recreational or artistic pursuit. The government, society, media, have turned this hobby into a restricted , commercial, privilege for those in power. If I have to hide my drone, go really early or late in the day, stay away from any people, cops, park officials, and go out to the middle of nowhere just so I can fly my drone without fear of a huge frickin fine, then it's not fun anymore. Sure I can try to be more open, ask permission, call officials but the answer is usually no or it brings drones into focus for the person in charge and then they ban it, shoot yourself in the foot. This is literally what I have to do and I am sure others feel the same way for this rapid criminalization of drones. If I am not able to get certification or schooling to fly for business or science then I will have to try another hobby as there is just no other way to fly anywhere......as most people say in here, better enjoy flying while you can.....

It's pretty obvious, isn't it?

Flying a Cessna requires hours of classroom and flight training from qualified instructors, a big commitment on your part of time and money, and testing by qualified FAA personnel and a medical evaluation before you're licensed. In other words, you have to prove you know what you're doing.

The same applies to a lesser degree for a Ford or Harley. Smith & Wesson? Well, you'll get no argument from me there but further discussion would get into a political debate that the mods won't like.

But with drones, Mavic and otherwise, anybody with a few bucks to spare can go to Walmart, buy one and put it up in the air without ever bothering to read the instructions. And they're doing stupid things and making life difficult for the rest of us.

We had a kid where I live try to fly his quadcopter for the first time in the parking lot of the restaurant where he worked as a fry cook. Right across the street from an international airport. The wind took it and it was found the next day right next to the runway by airport security.

I just checked DJI's GEO map again. It's the first time I've looked at it since they first released it a few weeks ago. The red zones, the ones that really require jumping through hoops to get permission to fly in, are few and far between, and make complete sense why they're NFZs --- prisons mostly, and the very closest inner ring near airports.

I guess I just don't see it being much of a burden to fly in the yellow warning areas. Check a box on the DJI Go app and keep flying. That's it. It's a much better compromise that some of the severe restrictions or even outright bans going on in places like Canada.

I've owned a P3A and now a Mavic, live is suburban Phila. and have never felt the need to bash DJI for restricting my ability to fly and enjoy the drone-flying experience. Maybe that's because I use common sense when I use a product that could have a effect on others. I'm sure someone will bash me for a particular phase I chose to use, but bottom line DJI is a business and they have every right to protect their business interest....just my opinion.

As a pilot of an aircraft valued in excess of $1000, and as someone who has endured rigorous training and FAA registration (along with countless courses and in the field instruction), I have earned the right to be called a professional pilot! I even had my daughter print me a certificate. I am registered, licensed, and fully trained to pilot an aircraft!!! Yippee!!! Look at me!

Now all I need to do is join a forum where I can make a point of denigrating users anytime someone calls themselves a "pilot". POSERS!

DJI is protecting themselves. If you don't like it, sell the Mavic and move on. There is still enough demand where you won't be suffering much of a loss, and you can chalk it up to not doing your homework first. Hopefully the next drone you buy will have a contract you can sign when buying it that says: "We will never create free software that might upset you because of it's restrictions. We promise. If we break that promise you can get every penny you spent back, and we will write a formal letter of apology to your family for the inconvenience.".

Guns, cars, slightly larger aircraft (you know, the ones with poser "pilots" that can't even fly a real aircraft like an F-22 or something...), are all cuddly care bears compared to the pure evil that are DRONES. Think about this: how many deaths are related to single seat aircrafts each year? Now compare that to DRONES. Terrifying, right???

Drones are the focus of FEAR. It's not fair, it hurts distinguished, registered, licensed, and heavily trained pilots like me, and it's not going to get better.

SeaWolf- agreed.....I believe I read somewhere DisneyWorld (DisneyLand?) asked the city government of Orlando, Florida to ban drones in selective areas and last I recollect there is an effective drone ban in many Orlando areas as a result. If big business can pressure local governments to enact such policies imagine what the future holds!
The drone consortium needs to film commercials showing the amazing photography and videography drones are capturing and show them in a positive light to restructure the current viewpoint society has on drones currently.
I have a huge backyard (by SoCal standards) and can't fly my MP because I am in Disneyland's restricted airspace. I was pissed. But seriously, can't you see some dumbass flying into the elfin' Log Ride or Matterhorn and crashing their drone? Sure, it still pisses me off I can't fly in my own yard. And a commercial showing them pretty drone videos and pics? Yeah, that's going to work.

Yeh, you probably dont want to crash at disneyland, low or high, it's not gonna end well

Skip to 4 mins in:

Reactions: joeywestside
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661