DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total newb, couple of questions

PatrickRU92

Reactions
Hi all just got my Mini, first drone ever for me. Watched a bunch of "how to" vids and did 3 short flights for first time. Couple of questions

1)When I hit RTH it didn't go back to site I took off from , it started descending at a different site, luckily there were no trees or anything else nearby so no harm no foul ,but I though it would come back to the launch site. Why?

2)every time I landed and then wanted to take off again it would make me re-calibrate the compass. I was under the impression that once you did it it wouldn't need to be done again right away. why?

TIA, something tells me I'll be posting here a lot in the near future

Hi all just got my Mini, first drone ever for me. Watched a bunch of "how to" vids and did 3 short flights for first time. Couple of questions

1)When I hit RTH it didn't go back to site I took off from , it started descending at a different site, luckily there were no trees or anything else nearby so no harm no foul ,but I though it would come back to the launch site. Why?

2)every time I landed and then wanted to take off again it would make me re-calibrate the compass. I was under the impression that once you did it it wouldn't need to be done again right away. why?

TIA, something tells me I'll be posting here a lot in the near future

Welcome to the forum!!!

#1 how far were you landing from your original RTH? I think if its within 30* feet it will just land in the spot your at.
#2 are you taking off or landing on anything metal like a car? You should not need to re calibrate every time you take off however, with my mini i do notice that i have to re calibrate if i travel with it in the car pretty regularly.

I really advise you to read the manual for the drone. they really should ship it with it ;)

RTH --- Before you go Horizontal go vertical about 15 feet up. hold and listen for home point updated.Ensure you have 10+ satellites acquired for the gps. then you can fly as you might. then RTH should land with in 3 feet of launch.

Compass Calibration -- If you are flying from different locations (Miles Apart) this should be done even without the prompt. Some things that interfere with the calibration: Power lines above ground and below ground, Rebar in concrete (sidewalks and slabs), underground utilities like TV, and Phone.

Welcome to the forum!!!

#1 how far were you landing from your original RTH? I think if its within 30* feet it will just land in the spot your at.
#2 are you taking off or landing on anything metal like a car? You should not need to re calibrate every time you take off however, with my mini i do notice that i have to re calibrate if i travel with it in the car pretty regularly.

I really advise you to read the manual for the drone. they really should ship it with it ;)

Hey thanks, yes it was within 30 feet so I think that was it ( and I just read the same elsewhere.) I was too chicken to let it go farther!

well there was an iron fence close by so maybe thats what it was . Was about 60 feet from my car so doubt that was it

going to re-experiment in a bigger open area tomorrow

so far I have found vids by experienced mavic mini owners far superior to the manual!!! But thank you for you help much appreciated!

Reactions: ff22 and Lionfish
RTH --- Before you go Horizontal go vertical about 15 feet up. hold and listen for home point updated.Ensure you have 10+ satellites acquired for the gps. then you can fly as you might. then RTH should land with in 3 feet of launch.

Compass Calibration -- If you are flying from different locations (Miles Apart) this should be done even without the prompt. Some things that interfere with the calibration: Power lines above ground and below ground, Rebar in concrete (sidewalks and slabs), underground utilities like TV, and Phone.

thanks going to try again in wide open field!

Reactions: Lionfish
This is explained on p13 of the manual : https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20200212/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf
RTH Procedure
1. The Home Point is recorded.
2. RTH is triggered.
3. If the altitude is lower than 20 m, the aircraft ascends to the RTH altitude or 20 m, and then adjusts its orientation. If the altitude is higher than 20 m, the aircraft adjusts its orientation immediately.
4.a. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins, it ascends to the preset RTH altitude and flies to the Home Point at a speed of 8 m/s. If the current altitude is higher than the RTH altitude, the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current altitude.
b. If the aircraft is less than 20 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins, it lands immediately
5. After reaching the Home Point, the aircraft lands and the motors stop.
There's a lot more info there about RTH.
It's the most important section of the manual to understand.

Look at where you were landing.
The most likely explanation is because the compass was warning you that it detected a magnetic influence close to where you landed
Reinforced concrete surfaces are a common cause due to the steel inside the concrete.
Most of the time people think their drone is asking for compass calibration, it's not.
It's actually a perfectly working compass warning of magnetic issues nearby (but DJI's message wording is confusing).
Despite what's said above, travelling away from your last flight spot does not necessitate a recalibration of the compass.
Compass calibration has nothing to do with where you are or how far you are from somewhere.

Last edited:
Hi PatrickRU92 Welcome to Mavic Pilots

New flyer advice.
Wide open space.
Slow & easy.
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't forget to read the manual ;)
Download Mini manual HERE
Welcome to the group Patrick!
I would also like to add birds to the list.
Do yourself a favor and look up "Drone fails" and "Drone vs birds" in Youtube. It might help you understand the sorts of drone related mistakes and hazards that can be encountered.

Welcome to the forum from Houston Texas area. I cut my teeth in drones with a few toy grade ones. i have trashed 3 or 4 of those. The control sticks on the toys had the same results as those on the Mavic (I have 2 of the M1P's). I have also done wraps on both of my mavics and just ordered new FAA/ phone number stickers. Enjoy and fly high.IMG_0312.jpg

Reactions: PatrickRU92
Welcome to the forum from Houston Texas area. I cut my teeth in drones with a few toy grade ones. i have trashed 3 or 4 of those. The control sticks on the toys had the same results as those on the Mavic (I have 2 of the M1P's). I have also done wraps on both of my mavics and just ordered new FAA/ phone number stickers. Enjoy and fly high.
When flying which shows up best against the sky red or green ?

If it is a bright sunny day I think the neon green does but if it is overcast or cloudy than the neon orange. there is very little color on the undersides so it still looks gray but you do see the arms

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!

Print out the RTH section/s of the manual and take them with you when you go to that wide open area to practise, there are nuisances in there that will catch you out. Hangs my head in shame.:oops: Keep your RTH height as low as possible, in a well chosen practice area you probably shouldn't have to fly over anythng

thanks to all that replied just made my 2nd flight in a bigger more open field and both issues self-resolved. RTH worked wonderfully and did not have to keep recalibrating the compass

Thanks again!

Reactions: VenomXts
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998