DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total Newbie - Interpreting AirMap

ol__adam

Reactions
I live a few blocks outside this orange bubble for the local airport. However, this is still within 5 miles of the airport.

My understanding is that I can fly a Mavic outside of that bubble from my home but would need to inform the airport each time I flew.

Here is a screenshot of my location:

b45fa78cd8c30354c91739eabd2e108a.jpg

I would definitely consider an MP2 or Air for time lapse shots from my neighborhood, mountain biking on USFS land, and travel. If I am familiar with RC, and I’m careful to a fault - should I skip the Mavic insurance and just buy the drone locally from my camera store?

I live a few blocks outside this orange bubble for the local airport. However, this is still within 5 miles of the airport.

My understanding is that I can fly a Mavic outside of that bubble from my home but would need to inform the airport each time I flew.

Here is a screenshot of my location:

b45fa78cd8c30354c91739eabd2e108a.jpg
You really need an air navigation chart to determine this. I am unsure of the rules pertaining to your hazard/danger zone notes on your app/website, but the air chart will give you very precise data on exactly where your local airports control zones extend to and what altitudes they apply to (and they vary). If you are going to fly a lot locally, might be worth investing in a chart. They give you lots of other pilot friendly details too, for instance, but not only...aiprort glide paths, areas of high intensity radio transmission, parachute drop sites, military activity zones, electricity transmission lines/pylons, even gas venting sites. Welcome to a world of new digestible information!

Reactions: AMann
I would definitely consider an MP2 or Air for time lapse shots from my neighborhood, mountain biking on USFS land, and travel. If I am familiar with RC, and I’m careful to a fault - should I skip the Mavic insurance and just buy the drone locally from my camera store?

You can get the insurance after the fact within a certain amount of days. I've also read that you can get it by showing photos or maybe even video if your intact drone.

Accidents happen even with care. Some folks have been able get third party insurance for less and you don't need the carcass if it falls into water or down a cliff. State Farm insurance

VFR charts are free from the FAA in digital form. Get them all HERE. You would need the "Denver" chart. GeoTiffs (portions of them) can be dragged into Google Earth so you can measure off of them, or simply draw a circle with the radius centered on an airport. If you're not familiar with how to read these charts then you may need some help. You may be within 5 miles from multiple airports/heliports.

Attachments

• Denver SEC 100 - Part_compressed.jpg
    Denver SEC 100 - Part_compressed.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Gooseman
Thank you, folks. I did find this chart as well. I guess I’ll have to figure out how to read them.

VFR charts are free from the FAA in digital form. Get them all HERE. You would need the "Denver" chart. GeoTiffs (portions of them) can be dragged into Google Earth so you can measure off of them, or simply draw a circle with the radius centered on an airport. If you're not familiar with how to read these charts then you may need some help. You may be within 5 miles from multiple airports/heliports.
Free? You're lucky: I had to pay about $35 for my South of England One.

Well I agree that these are very comprehensive maps but I am unable to get any good NFZ or other info from them simply because I have no experience reading them. I can't find a legend that tells me what all the large gray circles mean or the yellow areas. I live in Cartersville, Ga. just NW of Atlanta and if the gray areas are some type of restricted zones almost the entire NW of Ga. is restricted. Sorry but w/o some more experience in reading these maps they don't do me any good.

Well I agree that these are very comprehensive maps but I am unable to get any good NFZ or other info from them simply because I have no experience reading them. I can't find a legend that tells me what all the large gray circles mean or the yellow areas. I live in Cartersville, Ga. just NW of Atlanta and if the gray areas are some type of restricted zones almost the entire NW of Ga. is restricted. Sorry but w/o some more experience in reading these maps they don't do me any good.
There is a legend attached to every chart. VFR charts do not show drone NFZs, that is not their function.

Airmap will show class areas if you enable it. So will Go 4.
If you fly within 5 miles of an airport and flying recreationally, then you're supposed to notify the airport and controlling ATC. Airmap usually provides the contact #'s.
If you plan your flight area, airmap will show notices foe your entire flight area and not just the spot your standing in.

Reactions: clovis09
It appears to me that the Airmap or the B4Ufly charts have much more info pertinent to the recreational UAV flyer. The VFR charts don't seem to help a hobbyist much if any at all.

Does anyone know the hobbyist rules if there is no ATC at your local small airport. I have tried leaving several messages with the airport manager to no avail. There are many places I want to fly within the 5 mile radius!

Does anyone know the hobbyist rules if there is no ATC at your local small airport. I have tried leaving several messages with the airport manager to no avail. There are many places I want to fly within the 5 mile radius!
We have a small airport in the city where I live with no ATC but it is big enough for Learjets to land. I wanted to fly in a large open park close to it but off to one side of the runway. I called the Parks and Recreation Dept and they said it was legal to fly there with them. I knew from living here the last 25 years how close it was to the airport so I called and got in touch with the airport point of contact and he told me to get with him within an hour or so before I wanted to fly there because it's only 2 miles from the airstrip and as long as I kept my altitude below a 200 ft ceiling he would give me authorization barring something going on with traffic in that area. I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure if the DJI geofencing will let me or not. It might be worth your while to take a drive to the airport and talk to someone there. They were very cooperative here. Maybe they will give you authorization. You've got nothing to lose. Good luck!!

I guess a better question is...”Does using the “AirMap” app give me the relevant info I need to fly legally and safely?” I do see and understand now that some help-pads for hospitals especially do not show up on this app. I can’t imagine that most drone flyers are learning VFR charts.

Can anyone point me to a pretty full proof step-by-step guide to flying a drone safely and legally in urban areas? Thanks!

We have a small airport in the city where I live with no ATC but it is big enough for Learjets to land. I wanted to fly in a large open park close to it but off to one side of the runway. I called the Parks and Recreation Dept and they said it was legal to fly there with them. I knew from living here the last 25 years how close it was to the airport so I called and got in touch with the airport point of contact and he told me to get with him within an hour or so before I wanted to fly there because it's only 2 miles from the airstrip and as long as I kept my altitude below a 200 ft ceiling he would give me authorization barring something going on with traffic in that area. I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure if the DJI geofencing will let me or not. It might be worth your while to take a drive to the airport and talk to someone there. They were very cooperative here. Maybe they will give you authorization. You've got nothing to lose. Good luck!!
Thanks Clovis, I have the same situation here but I can't seem to get a hold of the manager. I've gone to the airport, called several times and left messages. I live about 2 miles from the airport. All I can do is click 'except responsibility' on the RC and fly cautiously. I'm just wondering if this is legal???

Call the nearest towered airport, they probably handle ATC at the one you cant contact as well.

Call the nearest towered airport, they probably handle ATC at the one you cant contact as well.
You know,... I don't think even with authorization from someone from the airport I would want to fly that close to an active airport. I've been flying drones for approx. 3 years and I can tell you,... Things can happen quickly. He may give you permission, but there's just too much margin for error for me with an incoming flight that's descending for landing. That pilot has no idea where you are, nor does he even know a drone is flying in that airspace. Kind of a recipie for desaster.

Reactions: AMann
You know,... I don't think even with authorization from someone from the airport I would want to fly that close to an active airport. I've been flying drones for approx. 3 years and I can tell you,... Things can happen quickly. He may give you permission, but there's just too much margin for error for me with an incoming flight that's descending for landing. That pilot has no idea where you are, nor does he even know a drone is flying in that airspace. Kind of a recipie for desaster.

I never meant flying in any of the approach legs next to it. I was flying a project within three miles of an untowered airport leas than 100’ AGL and was in a very safe area from any aircraft for the100’ + trees in the area- the closest ATC was at the next towered airport over about 25 miles away and they were the ones I had to ask, also since I was in their area as well. Always carry and monitor traffic with an aircraft band radio- helps to hear from where any planes are approaching (if they announce themselves), and in case ATC has to contact you.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead