DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tough choice

One other point, if you ever get into a blown away situation and the drone is being blown towards somewhere where it shouldn't be or where someone could get hurt etc. etc. I would suggest that you get the drone down, sacrificing it if needs be, before it gets over that area and BEFORE you lose control connection.
If the drone is blown out of control connection then the failsafe behaviour will be triggered (look it up in the manual, there are various options selectable).
RTH may put it up into faster winds as noted previously.
HOVER is likely to leave it still being blown away and ultimately when the low battery RTH kick in leave it in an RTH.
LAND may result in a hover if the drone rejects the landing site and hover can end up as an RTH.

No -- since both have equal wind resistance.

Tread carefully. All kinds of DJI drones are lost when flying in high winds. That's probably the most common cause of a "fly away".
I think this depends heavily on what you define as "high" winds.

My Mini-2s fly just fine in 20 mph winds. It requires being at bit more cautious and attentive than flying in calm air, but it's entirely manageable.

I've been very happy with my Mini-2s.

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: NG Wildman
I think this depends heavily on what you define as "high" winds.
I'm referring to wind speeds that exceed what these drones are able to resist.

Hi Guys
Totally new to drones. Apologies for this question, I'm sure it's been asked a million times. I'm trying to decide between the Mini 2 and the Air 2. I have done a ton of research but still can't decide, these aren't cheap and I don't want to make a mistake. I was heavily leaning towards the Mini 2, however am concerned about wind as its so light, is the Air 2 much more forgiving in stronger winds? Thing is, YouTube only shows the Mini enduring strong wind tests, they never actually say what the Mini flies comfortably in, I have now Intention of flying in high winds, I just want something that's capable, just mild to medium winds, is it worth spending a lot more on the Air 2 to ensure this? Many Thanks

I dont have DJI Air 2 but DJI Air 2S and serval days ago, when I flew it to take 360 panoramas, it failed because of wind.

DJI Air 2/2S is also a light drone. Don't expect it too much. But, the wind is definitely not a good friend of DJI Mini 2.

See the videos for reference:

<-- This one is quite funny but it shows the fact.

<-- This one did the tests you'd like to know.

Reactions: careless
Hi Guys
Totally new to drones. Apologies for this question, I'm sure it's been asked a million times. I'm trying to decide between the Mini 2 and the Air 2. I have done a ton of research but still can't decide, these aren't cheap and I don't want to make a mistake. I was heavily leaning towards the Mini 2, however am concerned about wind as its so light, is the Air 2 much more forgiving in stronger winds? Thing is, YouTube only shows the Mini enduring strong wind tests, they never actually say what the Mini flies comfortably in, I have now Intention of flying in high winds, I just want something that's capable, just mild to medium winds, is it worth spending a lot more on the Air 2 to ensure this? Many Thanks
Perhaps as you are UK based that you should also consider the advantages of flying the mini 2 nearer to and over people that the Air 2 does not offer?

I dont have DJI Air 2 but DJI Air 2S and serval days ago, when I flew it to take 360 panoramas, it failed because of wind.

DJI Air 2/2S is also a light drone. Don't expect it too much. But, the wind is definitely not a good friend of DJI Mini 2.

<-- This one is quite funny but it shows the fact.

<-- This one did the tests you'd like to know.
I guess it's just a question of expectations. My Mini-2s reliably handle wind speeds of 20+mph. Whatever the wind force level that's described by large trees waving around, I've flown them in that.

It's not obvious to me that I'd be interested in flying in winds much stronger than I know the Mini-2 can handle, but then, I'm not an edge-pusher.

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: dozzn
I have the mini 2 and it’s nice to have the confidence to fly in a bit of wind. However, all of our drones have limitations. I would definitely recommend having the UAV forecast app.

Reactions: March411
Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
I have both the Mini 1 and the Air 2 and use both in windy conditions but lean towards the 2. I don’t tend to fly BVLOS and seldom fly over water for long periods of time so either drone suits my needs. If I wasn’t experienced and money was a factor I would probably go with the Mini 2 to see if I really liked the sport, it may be all your going to need. Fly safe and stay safe!

I would suggest buying a slightly more expensive drone.
As you are a new user you would be more likely to take more care of it.
I am a bit worried about you talking about 1 mile distance. You would have no VLOS, probably no situational awareness.
If you bought the “Cheaper” drone I think there would be a danger that you would treat it as a toy without due regard to safety of people, property etc.
Not saying the Mini is a toy but it’s price and size may make you treat it with less concern than a more expensive drone.
Also not saying that this is you but it is something to consider.

Sorry but the KH video is a waste of electricity and about as much use as wet toilet paper.
How many drones face a narrow jet of upward moving air that is barely wider then the drone's diagonal is long?
I would suggest that posting it as a reference for a newbie is a bad idea.

Ian in London's on the other hand is Thumbswayup

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NG Wildman
Hi Guys
I’ve got the Mini 1 and 2 Mavic Pros! Any one of them will fly away in the Wind! You have to be careful and cautious especially when flying over Water!

I wrestled with the same decision about a year ago when I finally ended up with the mini 2. For me it wasn't $$ that was the issue it was just more of what I needed as an occasional flier. Since I have no experience with all of the different camera settings involved. I knew the Air 2 has more in depth settings I wouldn't benefit from. I wanted portability, yet I was most worried about wind resistance. Obstacle avoidance would be nice, but I dont see it as a deal breaker. I have no issues flying over objects rather than then amongst them. In the year I have had the mini 2, I will say I'm impressed what this little guy is capable of, I only remember once getting a wind warning. Also I dont believe at any time I wasn't able to fly due to wind. I wouldn't have flown any drone, not just the mini2. Another thing to consider is the battery price between the two drones. Mini batteries are about 1/2 the cost. I remember before the Air 2s arrived, the Air 2 was and still is considered a great drone. I dont think you can make a wrong decision. If you get the Air 2, you won't say that you wish you would have gotten the mini2 or vise versa.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Another question to think about are the regulations you'll be flying under. Here in Canada the sub-250g drones are much less restricted in where they can fly (which is why I bought a Mini to complement by Mavic 2).

Obstacle avoidance is great, but it doesn't do well with things like tree branches and wires so keep that in mind.

@Volante5767, My opinion is that the notion that the notion that a Mini 2 is too sensitive to wind is greatly overblown. (Pun intended.)

If there's enough wind to be a problem for the Mini 2, it's probably just too windy to be flying a consumer-grade drone that day.

I fly the Mini 2 and an Air 2S. There are few days when I'm willing to fly the Air 2S but not the Mini 2.

Reactions: dozzn
I guess the bottom line is, it don't want to buy the Mini 2 if it gets blown away in the lightest of winds, for instance if I'm a mile out, i don't want a ' slight breeze or 'puff' of wind to lose it, you hear so many stories...Whereas, the weight of the Air 2 'almost' guarantee's it can handle slight gusts with ease.
I doubt that you will be comfortable flying a mile out. The drones are so small, and even with strobe lights fitted, that have a range of 3 miles, and CAA & FAA approved they are extremely difficult to see.

As both have the same maximum wind speed they can handle, and about the same degree of difficulty keeping them in sight then cost becomes the purchasing driver, at least from my experience.

Good luck, and enjoy.

I would suggest buying a slightly more expensive drone.
As you are a new user you would be more likely to take more care of it.
I am a bit worried about you talking about 1 mile distance. You would have no VLOS, probably no situational awareness.
If you bought the “Cheaper” drone I think there would be a danger that you would treat it as a toy without due regard to safety of people, property etc.
Not saying the Mini is a toy but it’s price and size may make you treat it with less concern than a more expensive drone.
Also not saying that this is you but it is something to consider.
If you use something like a Firehouse strobe it can be seen for more than a mile, but many with the Mini are reluctant to add any weight even for a strobe since they don’t bother registering it and want to be sure it remains below .55 lbs.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ