DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tourist crashes drone through window in NYC

Handcuffs setting an example to other idiotic Drone Operators with stuff all responsibility **

I don’t disagree. And maybe there is more to the storey. He didn’t seem like a danger or flight risk is why I thought the cuffs are a bit much. But at the same time sending a message is easier do in handcuffs.

My thoughts exactly
Windows on a 21st floor are subject to some serious wind stresses and I have a hard time imagining a MP could actually break all the way thru and end up inside. I would also expect that these windows were double paned.
Older buildings are grandfathered from current standards. If it was an older building, then it is possible.

I was curious as to the actual filed charges, so I looked up his charges on the city courts website: the article seems to be wrong. He wasn't charged at all for illegally flying a drone in city, but for recklessly damaging property worth over $250. (NY Penal law § 145.00 Criminal mischief in the fourth degree).
He better hope the FAA doesn't choose to also make an example of him.

$27,500 penalty for flying an unregistered drone.

The link is cencored in Europe, can you believe that ?

Looks like they don’t want any outsiders poking around just like the Chinese government. It’s a sad outcome since the man with the dead blonde ferret on his head is in charge.

Flying where your not supposed to. Crashing into glass 21 floors up,no danger to those on the ground right? He got lucky, I think he could have been charged with a lot more serious violations.

Flying where your not supposed to. Crashing into glass 21 floors up,no danger to those on the ground right? He got lucky, I think he could have been charged with a lot more serious violations.
It is this type of incidents that will eventually kill the hobby. An all out ban!

The arrest may have been more to do with him being a tourist from out of the country. A similar example would be in my city, public urination is simply a ticket....whereas if you are from outside of the country, it would then become an arrest...the penalties are the same, but the manner in which it is handled is different.

In Houston, last year, a man from out of the country urinated in the parking lot of a restaurant late at night. A man that was a Martial Artist, a mat fighter and a bully, saw him doing it and took offense. His wife, a Deputy Sheriff, was also present. A fight quickly erupted, and the mat fighter got the foreign man face down on the ground in a choke hold and choked him until he died while his wife, the deputy,crouched next to them watching. He is on trial for murder this week for the second time. The first trial ended in a mistrial.

This has nothing to do with drone flying, just a response to the above comment regarding foreigners and misdemeanor crimes.

Sportking

Reactions: JDawg
It’s not just pilots like that guy that will cause problems for the rest of us, many here also suggested they’d rather have done a hit and run, which is going to be the largest cause of big issues for the sport. That kind of response to accidents will have us all flying with transponders some day. The guy did the right thing in taking responsibility for his mistakes.

My thoughts exactly
Windows on a 21st floor are subject to some serious wind stresses and I have a hard time imagining a MP could actually break all the way thru and end up inside. I would also expect that these windows were double paned.
its called fake news . It never actually happened ! people spend a lot of time and effort making these fake news stories .
I’m surprised that that drone could break through that window. Seems like the window should have able to resist.

But yeah hand cuffs was a little much I think.
Did not happen

I don't see handcuffs.

That photo was taken before the handcuffs were put on him. There are other photos where he has them on when he's being put into the back of a squad car.

its called fake news . It never actually happened ! people spend a lot of time and effort making these fake news stories .

Did not happen

Conspiracy theories are so tiresome, especially when they're so easily disproved.

This story was carried by multiple independent media outlets and the information was released by the NYPD. The man arrested appeared in court, open to the public. His arrest is available in online records.

Reactions: dawgpilot
the photo clearly shows an officer helping a blind man a hand crossing the street. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas