DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Train recorded with M2P

First, I really like trains. I have not yet had the pleasure to film one with my M2P, but I am looking forward to it. I gave your video a thumbs up. My favorite part was from around 1:20 to 1:55. I really enjoyed the scene of the train going by the lake and the shadows of the trees in the lake followed by the train going under the small overpass. Well done!
GREAT video! You’ve mastered the difficult art of flying backwards! I would tinker with your pan sensitivities though. The out-of-the-box settings are too twitchy.

Reactions: zeusfl
GREAT video! You’ve mastered the difficult art of flying backwards! I would tinker with your pan sensitivities though. The out-of-the-box settings are too twitchy.
True, it has the stock smart controller default settings. Thanks you!

Hate to be 'that guy', but I believe that according to the FAA (Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations):
"Keep your drone within your visual line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you."
having a spotter using binoculars does not meet the VLOS requirement.
Thanks for clarification on this. I will take this in consideration next time.

Great video of the train! I would agree with all the comments about testing different settings for the gimbal as well. Regarding use of binoculars to see the UAS, the FAA Part 107 regulations indicate that vision aids such as binoculars can be used periodically during the flight to check situational awareness, but they are not allowed to be used to keep the UAS in VLOS. Directly from FAA Part 107 Section 5 subpart B:

"5.7.1 Unaided Vision. VLOS must be accomplished and maintained by unaided vision, except vision that is corrected by the use of eyeglasses (spectacles) or contact lenses. Vision aids, such as binoculars, may be used only momentarily to enhance situational awareness. For example, the remote PIC, person manipulating the controls, or VO may use vision aids to avoid flying over persons or conflicting with other aircraft. Similarly, first person view devices may be used during operations, but do not satisfy the VLOS requirement. While the rule does not set specific vision standards, the FAA recommends that remote PICs, persons manipulating the controls, and VOs maintain 20/20 distant vision acuity (corrected) and normal field of vision." This was a question on my initial exam and the 2yr recurrent exam.

I love it! We recently bought a house right next to a fairly busy set of train tracks. Every time I hear the train coming I feel like a little kid and run and send the drone up.

I've got tons of videos now...I just need more time to edit them.

I love it! We recently bought a house right next to a fairly busy set of train tracks. Every time I hear the train coming I feel like a little kid and run and send the drone up.

I've got tons of videos now...I just need more time to edit them.
Looking forward to see your videos. I like trains.

@SpaceX2 @zeusfl

I live close to some tracks and was hoping to get some clarification on what the laws are regarding flying around trains/tracks and came across this video....

Very informative !!! Thank you !!

Once I tried to get some train footage when an old train came through. I noticed with the MA that the train seemed to mess up the connection from controller to rc. It was probably from the mass of metal, draft or could be a electrical frequency from the train? Once I got further away it operated normally.
Here’s a snap from the video:
0bbffeb3e8cfce451cbb9ab1a0e42bf1.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242