Join Us Now

Train recorded with M2P

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
Here a video from today. Thanks to my spotter for wait for the train.
This video without edition, just cut and music added.

How far out did you M2 get? The recording was over 3 minutes long and it looked like the train was moving pretty fast. I still get a little freaked out when I can no longer see mine, but with all the trees it had to be out of sight seconds after following the train. How far away were you when you acquired the train?

How far out did you M2 get? The recording was over 3 minutes long and it looked like the train was moving pretty fast. I still get a little freaked out when I can no longer see mine, but with all the trees it had to be out of sight seconds after following the train. How far away were you when you acquired the train?
We was in the other side of the like, My spotter with binoculars keeping VLOS. We was located in the middle of the route but like a triangle.

Nice tracking.

To critique though, I noticed quiet a few jerky pans in your video, as the train went around a bend and you tried to adjust your drone. You can easily eliminate those jerky movements and achieve a more cinematic/flowing movie by reducing your drone pan sensitivity (before the train arrives).

First, I really like trains. I have not yet had the pleasure to film one with my M2P, but I am looking forward to it. I gave your video a thumbs up. My favorite part was from around 1:20 to 1:55. I really enjoyed the scene of the train going by the lake and the shadows of the trees in the lake followed by the train going under the small overpass. Well done!

Were you using auto brightness. I saw the change in the video as you changed the center point. I use manual settings. I enjoyed the ride.

Were you using auto brightness. I saw the change in the video as you changed the center point. I use manual settings. I enjoyed the ride.

Yes, i was using the Smart Controller on this one. I need to tune the camera, gimbal ect.
This was more a practice for me. Also there is no editing on the video at all. Just music added. But is impressive just like that the M2P camera.

Also i was practicing my reverse flying. I want to do the same with my MA2@60fps.

Nice Video! Take the critiques with a grain of salt. It looks awesome!
Yes sir,
I appreciate the critiques. That is how we learn. Appreciate all comments.

Reactions: 254drone
I believe droning/filming by train tracks Replete with moving train is against the law.
But nice vid regardless. I was thinking it would be interesting to dolly down from a 100 feet to nearly GL with the tracks Just off to one side within a few feet of the passing train but away from the train’s air turbulence.

Reactions: zeusfl
I believe droning/filming by train tracks Replete with moving train is against the law.
But nice vid regardless. I was thinking it would be interesting to dolly down from a 100 feet to nearly GL with the tracks Just off to one side within a few feet of the passing train but away from the train’s air turbulence.

First of all great video. I love trains but we don’t get much chance to film trains like that over here in the uk.
Second, as to being against the law to film said train, this is true but do any of us live completely by the letter of the law, you can’t tell me that most of us haven’t flown in places where we’re not supposed to fly. Today I drove 40 miles an hour in a 30 ?

I try always to fly and do everything by law. I guess the train thing is for close encounters with the train but i was more than 175 ft in altitude and over 220 ft in distance or more from the train. Also i was not in the city. The train is not a passenger train as well.

Can somebody clarify if is a law here in the US?

Breath taking flying in reverse. It must have been exhilarating while recording, and relieving to safely retrieve

Yeaaah, great work! Especially flying in front of the train so constantly!
I would also vote for using manual brightness. You see the change in brightness and color when panning the camera down on the train the first time caused by the automatic. Be aware that you need ND filters for manual brightness to switch out too much light.
But as said before: Great job!

That was an absolutely awesome video!! Filming a train must be really awesome to do. Hope I get a chance to do it myself one day. Great flying and cool shot!

Happy Flying,
—Noah

I try always to fly and do everything by law. I guess the train thing is for close encounters with the train but i was more than 175 ft in altitude and over 220 ft in distance or more from the train. Also i was not in the city. The train is not a passenger train as well.

Can somebody clarify if is a law here in the US?
Cut the guy some slack ... this video is awesome and absolutely no harm or danger was presented in the actions of filming this.

Reactions: Rudiger
Thank you everybody for the tips, comments and suggestion for improvements. I am looking forward to repeat the video with my MA2 @ 60fps.

Great video!! But I also am interested in the law about flying around trains. I can't seem to find anything that is clear about it. Videoing a moving train is on my bucket list, but I also want to follow any regulations.

Hate to be 'that guy', but I believe that according to the FAA (Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations):
"Keep your drone within your visual line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you."
having a spotter using binoculars does not meet the VLOS requirement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi