DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very specific use of Waypoints on Mavic 3 Pro - possible?

Ed Hurst

Reactions
Hello all,

I'm currently just over three months in to owning this drone and loving it!

I have in mind something I'd love to do with the drone which I think would involve the use of Waypoints, but in a rather unusual way. I haven't found a way to do this, so I thought I'd consult the brains trust...

Quite often, I photograph steam-hauled trains in scenic locations. Always shooting stills, and not video. If the lines are steep and curved, it's often possible for the drone to outpace the train, opening up the possibility of getting multiple locations covered for a single train. However, I sometimes find navigating, carefully positioning and generally being ready at such a speed quite tricky, especially if I'm aiming for an exact composition.

What I'd like to do is this:
- before the train comes to do a practice flight through the various different locations I have in mind for the shots (reminder, stills only)
- to save each location as a Waypoint
- when the train comes, use the Waypoints to take the drone to the first position and hover there once it reaches that point - pause the flight for as long as i need, manually shoot whatever stills I want as the train approaches
- restart the flight to the next Waypoint so that the drone automatically flies to the next spot I need, then again, hovers there once it reaches that point. Again, I'd pause the flight, take the shot as the train approaches, restart the flight etc. - then repeat the above until all positions are shot. Then I'd use RTH.

I haven't found a way to get the flight to behave like this - i.e. to hover once it reaches the next position, allowing me to do the shot manually when the train approaches (which will take an unknown amount of time), then to resume the flight to the next position.

All of this will be happening within a small area, as I'd retain VLOS, so it's all going to happen quite quickly and I'd need it to be slick!

Any tips? Is this even possible?

Many thanks,
Ed

Isn't "take photo" one of the options available? If you are saying you would like to have the drone hover at a waypoint until the train comes etc, you may have expectations that are not available.

Isn't "take photo" one of the options available? If you are saying you would like to have the drone hover at a waypoint until the train comes etc, you may have expectations that are not available.

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply.
I guess what I am saying is that I'd like the drone to fly to the next waypoint, allowing me to "pause" the waypoint trip while I take the pix I want, then resume the trip to the next point, etc. until done. Is that not possible? I believe it is not, but trying to be certain!

One brute force solution is to add a pause at each waypoint to give you time to stop the waypoint mission. Then shoot your photo and restart the waypoint mission, specifying the next waypoint as the starting point.

Hello all,

I'm currently just over three months in to owning this drone and loving it!

I have in mind something I'd love to do with the drone which I think would involve the use of Waypoints, but in a rather unusual way. I haven't found a way to do this, so I thought I'd consult the brains trust...

Quite often, I photograph steam-hauled trains in scenic locations. Always shooting stills, and not video. ....

Any tips? Is this even possible?

Many thanks,
Ed
Hi ED ... Iv Been doing this Forever....

So Heres what you do -...
Make 5 Missions of EACH of the 5 Positions..

For a Mission You need two Waypoints...
so Fly High... then Drop Low.

Call them Eg 1. Exiting the Tunnel...
2. steep curved Bridge etc..

Once tested -
Hit on each of the Missions maybe in order - (or otherwise for reverse traffic.
Let the Drone fly there - Then Descend to the PERFECT Picture point..

Once Done... hit the next Mission and repeat the Process... You can Keep the Video Going... If you dont add any custom Photos on the Mission-
Each Mission is Just to get you to the Location .

NOTES: Take off from the SAME HEIGHT that you made the Mission...

DJI Adjusts heights according to the TakeOff pont...

So If you launch - 100 m Lower down a Mountain etc - ... the Missions will all be the 100m down - So be careful...

I dont know if DJI attended to this Issue.

Have fun - and Show us a Finished Video -
Im excited !!!!

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54