DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Self Training first attempt. Drone for product shot.

Paul Stocum

Reactions
First attempt trying out the drone for product use. Going to make a few setting changes and try again. Was a busy day for tourism in the area, the spot I wanted to shoot was simply too crowded. So I settled on this spot for solitude and self training freedom. Forgot to add a horizontal straight pan. Cut out an overhead spin look. Still need to work on smoothness. Switching to Tripod mode and turning off safety sensors to allow me to get closer will help smoothness quite a bit I think.

This is with the Air 2s, want to try with the Air 3 to include shots with the telephoto. Next attempt I'll add some DSLR vid on a gimbal. This was strictly trying it all with the drone.

I know it's a bit rough but this is why we practice. Funny, I'm using 2 skills I self learned during covid, got my drone license and taught my self video editing with Premiere Pro. Any advice tips is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Prop Wash
You already self-critiqued it. I think you see what you can change. And, as you pointed out, practice is the way we get better. I think for starting out, it was pretty good. The cool thing is, you can take all kinds of footage and use your editor to create something really good as a final video. It's better to have too much footage that you may not use than not enough.

A nice wide establishing shot showing those gorgeous mountains would be a good outro/ intro. Needs a little polishing, otherwise its nice!

Reactions: Paul Stocum
what I would do with this, is have you flying across the mountains , when you come across the bike an explore it , than take off again, could even go with the UFO theme.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

That is why practice makes perfect. I think it's a great start. After the first showing of the bike, use active track and film riding it from different angles.

Reactions: dozzn
That is why practice makes perfect. I think it's a great start. After the first showing of the bike, use active track and film riding it from different angles.
I don't think a fat old man...well maybe if I suck in my gut and wear a full helmet...lol. I thought about that, I have a photog/pilot friend that is eager to help.

I don't think stationary (where the bike is stationary, not the camera/drone) wide-angle shots are particularly compelling, just in general. I think you want to get super close for any stationary shots and fill the frame with the curves and details of the bike. The drone is useful for showing the bike on the road riding into the sunset or tearing up some curves in the canyons, but I don't think it's a good replacement for a good handheld setup. That said, I think you might want maybe one stationary wide angle shot in a dramatic location, and a drone could increase your flexibility there.

And perhaps this was not something you were concerned with for this particular "practice" session, but the light is really sub-optimal. And that's where shooting with a drone is going to be limiting, particularly with the static shots, because if you're really serious you're going to need some additional lighting. I would also invest in some good LUTs for color, as this footage is pretty bland in that regard. Are you shooting in D-LOGM 10-bit or just the standard color? If you're good at coloring, you have a lot more flexibility in terms of lighting.

Reactions: dozzn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne