DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight attempt for youtube

Reactions

Had the drone under 24 hours at this point, done a few practice flies off camera just to get used to it. It's the first time I flew it this high, first time over a lake and everything so please tell me how I can improve for future videos. Yes I also want to do things like some commentary videos of other buildings and stuff to for example our cathedral etc. This was only a quick edit in the DJI app too

Thanks guys

...so please tell me how I can improve for future videos.
That subject is huge if you're totally new into producing video, stretching from exposure, editing techniques over to story telling.

If trying to compress it for a beginner without going into too much details... I would say:
If you want to produce video for other to enjoy... you always need to ask yourself, is this interesting?

Had the drone under 24 hours at this point, done a few practice flies off camera just to get used to it. It's the first time I flew it this high, first time over a lake and everything so please tell me how I can improve for future videos. Yes I also want to do things like some commentary videos of other buildings and stuff to for example our cathedral etc. This was only a quick edit in the DJI app too

Thanks guys
Go down the Road to Marlow and fly over the water by the Weir! There is s large Church on the Banks of the river ! I am not that experienced and learning all the time so do listen to advice here and look
at others work to see what does work

Look at my work around a Church not great but at least an indication

In my opinion, the subject is key to a great video. If the subject is interesting, the video will be interesting.

Reactions: sarahb

Thanks guys
One point and a mistake we all make and which I tend to still do is to make the clips too long ? Dragging in from s long way out on one subject when a lot of movement is needed or flipping from one perspective of a subject to another !
Do have a plan ? Aerobatic pilots in GA will sketch out a plan of their routines ? Go to point A turn left 45 degrees, Barrel roll, followed by a dive on same heading, a half loop with stall turn at the top 😎 Etc ie fly a plan in your head ! Again a mistake I still make to not have a plan with the drone pointing all over the place looking for interest ?

Overall, good start!
One thing to consider is leaving the caption on the screen a bit longer. As it was "typing" the 'Fletton Lakes, Peterborough,' as soon as it got to the "h," the caption vanished. Maybe add a second or two afterward.
Being your first, you flew straight. May be add a turn or two to show more of the area.
The gimbal bounce in the middle could edited out if you want a smoother video.

Everyone starts somewhere. This is a good start. The more you fly, the better you'll get @ the controls. The more footage you shoot, the better you'll get @ editing. Someone once said to me, "Experience is the best teacher - it doesn't always have to be your own." To get some ideas, look @ the videos posted here in the Photo and Video Showcase. Those videos are done by people who have been doing this for a bit. If you have questions, I'm sure they'd be glad to answer them.

Good start!

One suggestion - for your CINE settings, go in and adjust your EXPO settings so the controls need greater input before they start movements - makes a huge difference to the default settings. Do the same for the braking and gimbal settings to make them smoother while shooting video. This will limit any jerky movements in your videos to a minimum. I’ve 5+ yrs experience and still jerk shots without this!

If you want to produce video for other to enjoy... you always need to ask yourself, is this interesting?
Amen.

I've noticed that drones clips in movies and television programs are usually no longer than five seconds or so. Ten seconds is a very long one. While flying, it's fascinating to watch as a landmark slowly gets larger and larger as the drone gets closer, but an audience will soon lose interest.

This effect may be the origin of the pejorative phrase "droning on and on." (No offense intended to the forum member using that ID.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne