DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight

DFrantz

Reactions
First official flight today with my daughter (who also passed her TRUST on her own). Got to submit the request with LAANC through UASidekick. Mostly just to have a little fun and fly outside for the first time, but also to go through the checks and see how everything works. All went well and we had a good time. We didn't record anything, so no first flight pictures, but I think this will be a fun hobby for us! I also have scheduled for a 107 exam next week to avoid some limitations of who I can record for. Feeling pretty good about it!

Mini 3

Reactions: DFrantz
Don't forget that means you'll need to always fly your Mini 3 with RID (since it will be registered under Part 107). You'll either need to use a DJI Battery Plus (to enable RID) or attach an external RID module like the Holy Stone RID Module.
Thanks! I did not realize I needed the bigger battery to enable that. There is quite a bit to learn and I'm trying to do it all by the book! Ordered.

You're right in my back yard too! I'm in northern York Co

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
First official flight today with my daughter (who also passed her TRUST on her own). Got to submit the request with LAANC through UASidekick. Mostly just to have a little fun and fly outside for the first time, but also to go through the checks and see how everything works. All went well and we had a good time. We didn't record anything, so no first flight pictures, but I think this will be a fun hobby for us! I also have scheduled for a 107 exam next week to avoid some limitations of who I can record for. Feeling pretty good about it!

Mini 3
Sounds like a lot of fun flying your new Mini 3. Personally I would leave your Mini 3 (un)registered as it is and fly only for fun (with the stock battery) and hit the recording button when you take off and stop recording when you land....and call it a day. A part 107 license doesn't limit who you can record for as long as you keep doing what you say you are doing which is having fun flying with you and your daughter. Show your drone videos to anyone you want, share your videos with anyone you want using the most modern tool available including YT and TikTok while you still can.

While I don't plan at this time specifically to make an income specifically with the drone, I do plan to use the recordings for more than just my personal "for fun" youtube channel so it does fall under 107 by the book. But I also wanted to take advantage of the fun and educational aspects as well, so when my daughter and I are flying around the farm, that's obviously not a big deal (other than airspace). It's not a huge deal cost wise, though, I'll probably try to find a "job" or two in order to offset it. Not opposed to investing in a better drone for that purpose. Two years is a long time for me to pretend I won't get a bigger one for more professional features.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Congrats on a successful first flight! You and your daughter are going to have a blast sharing this hobby together!
"How high can that fly?" - Mom

"You can't go over 400 feet. Mom you can't fly it because you didn't take the test yet" - Daughter

"That's okay with me" - Mom

Trying to shame mom into joining the fun =-D

Sounds like you’ve enjoyed your first experiences. It only gets better. Welcome aboard.

It only gets better.
I can absolutely concur with this statement.

Although I’ve been an enthusiast photographer for a decade now, I am only about three weeks into drone ownership with barely 10 hours of flight time, and I can definitely agree that once the initial stress fades away, once you learn how the aircraft flies and how it reacts to your controls, once you feel more confident piloting it, the experience of flying only gets better and more enjoyable.

For me, in addition to the enjoyment of piloting the craft itself, the cameras on the drone give me an entirely new level of creativity. One that is almost limitless in its’ degree of freedom. It gives me the tools to do things I couldn’t before, such as composing shots and panoramas from high up in the air and at any distance, upgrading my love of timelapses into dynamic hyperlapses, and capturing incredible footage from views I could never achieve otherwise.

I’d fly every single day if I could. 😁😂

While I don't plan at this time specifically to make an income specifically with the drone, I do plan to use the recordings for more than just my personal "for fun" youtube channel so it does fall under 107 by the book.

I'm lazily working on my 107 for similar reasons.

While I'm not looking to make a business out of drones, I want to have the freedom to provide promotional footage to our church or a friend starting a business as a favor/donation without getting gummed up in the regs.

• Love
I'm lazily working on my 107 for similar reasons.

While I'm not looking to make a business out of drones, I want to have the freedom to provide promotional footage to our church or a friend starting a business as a favor/donation without getting gummed up in the regs.
Church videos was one of the big factors for me. Mostly our channel is just service, sunday school and hymns, but i'd like to add more to the channel.

Church videos was one of the big factors for me. Mostly our channel is just service, sunday school and hymns, but i'd like to add more to the channel.
Understandable and just to clarify my previous comments, if you're just flying for fun and not trying to promote a business, then you don't need a commercial license. However, as you described, going out and capturing drone footage so you can give it your church sounds like it might be a part 107 activity under the current rules and regulations. I agree with the comments to get the part 107 to avoid any confusion.

I can absolutely concur with this statement.

Although I’ve been an enthusiast photographer for a decade now, I am only about three weeks into drone ownership with barely 10 hours of flight time, and I can definitely agree that once the initial stress fades away, once you learn how the aircraft flies and how it reacts to your controls, once you feel more confident piloting it, the experience of flying only gets better and more enjoyable.

For me, in addition to the enjoyment of piloting the craft itself, the cameras on the drone give me an entirely new level of creativity. One that is almost limitless in its’ degree of freedom. It gives me the tools to do things I couldn’t before, such as composing shots and panoramas from high up in the air and at any distance, upgrading my love of timelapses into dynamic hyperlapses, and capturing incredible footage from views I could never achieve otherwise.

I’d fly every single day if I could. 😁😂
You have perfectly summed what most of us think. May you have many years of enjoyment-get posting your work when you are ready.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N