DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Patting self on the back, passed the 107 this morning

DFrantz

Reactions
I had determined since I was going to be using my drone for not only my personal youtube page, but also for my church that I indeed needed the get aa 107 certification. So with a week or so of study I passed this morning with an 80%. That's a go, so I'm good with it! I had mostly watched you tube videos and done a few practice exams. The actual test had alot more questions on higher airspace than I was sort of expecting but the practice had mostly given me enough to figure things out. It took me about an hour.

Thanks to members of this group for pointing out a few things with my Mini 3 and needing the bigger battery to get the remote ID to work. That is up and going well. I am in Class D airspace so I've figured how to request use here at the home farm. Looking forward to spending some more time learning the ropes, and quite sure I'll be upgrading soon and retiring the Mini 3 to my daughters primary use under her TRUST certificate within a few months.

I was thinking, with the rules on hazardous payload including lithium batteries with the exception being the one that powers the drone, don't some of those new ID devices and added blinking lights technically count as payload? I don't suspect that's in the spirit of the law, but it does seem to be a technical aspect to consider.

I had determined since I was going to be using my drone for not only my personal youtube page, but also for my church that I indeed needed the get aa 107 certification. So with a week or so of study I passed this morning with an 80%. That's a go, so I'm good with it! I had mostly watched you tube videos and done a few practice exams. The actual test had alot more questions on higher airspace than I was sort of expecting but the practice had mostly given me enough to figure things out. It took me about an hour.

Thanks to members of this group for pointing out a few things with my Mini 3 and needing the bigger battery to get the remote ID to work. That is up and going well. I am in Class D airspace so I've figured how to request use here at the home farm. Looking forward to spending some more time learning the ropes, and quite sure I'll be upgrading soon and retiring the Mini 3 to my daughters primary use under her TRUST certificate within a few months.
Congratulations!

I was thinking, with the rules on hazardous payload including lithium batteries with the exception being the one that powers the drone, don't some of those new ID devices and added blinking lights technically count as payload? I don't suspect that's in the spirit of the law, but it does seem to be a technical aspect to consider.
Congratulations and good luck...and yes...ANYTHING attached to that drone is considered a component of its payload...adding lights, and landing gear on Mini series ...and certain batteries put them over that 250 grams threshold ...even though the drone with the "normal" battery is 249 grams

Congratulations.

Congratulations and good luck...and yes...ANYTHING attached to that drone is considered a component of its payload...adding lights, and landing gear on Mini series ...and certain batteries put them over that 250 grams threshold ...even though the drone with the "normal" battery is 249 grams
My mini 3 is already registered and I have the bigger batteries for the ID... I was more thinking it seems common practice to add LEDs for twilight operations... but those lights are powered by lithium batteries. There is an exclusion from hazardous payloads for batteries powering the drone, but I think technically, the lights are in violation as hazardous payload. More for conversation than to try and make a stink about things.

Had my Canadian Advanced for years (2019 + SFOC 3 years before that) and finally got my Pt107 last fall after taking online self paced. Very well done on-line course with UAV COACH. I'm ex military RCAF 20 yrs and I still found that exam challenging especially the maps and controlled airspace problems. Did better than I thought. I'd just gone in and written it cold, I probably would have failed . . .so hats off to anyone who can pass it first time with no aviation background! CONGRATS 80% is fine.

Reactions: DFrantz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N