DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Congress seems to be inching closer to banning DJI Drones

rickmurray1989

Reactions
After the recent approval of the Anti CCP Drones Act on March 20 by a Congressional committee, I am grounding my fleet. Given current anti-China sentiments in Congress, I believe that the bill will end up being passed by both the House and Senate and ultimately enacted into law. I hope I am wrong, but I cannot bet my business on hopes.

I have reached out to my Congressman on several occasions to express my opposition to the act and my pleas seem to have fallen on deaf ears. Today, I made the decision to ground my fleet going forward. Aerial photography and inspection engagements have become an important part of my small photography business, but I cannot continue to plan for the future with a congressional sword hanging over my head.

As such, I am going to act as though the ban has been put into effect already so that I can concentrate on growing the other sectors of my business that Congress hasn't taken aim at... yet. If the bill is defeated, which I now think is unlikely, given the TikTok hysteria, I will rethink this decision. However, I am going to pursue non-aerial customers going forward in order to keep my business growing and profitable.

Hopefully, there will be a resolution to this issue before I have to renew my 107 certificate in June. If it does indeed become law, I will not renew my certificate, as I cannot afford to purchase a new fleet of non-DJI drones.

Last edited:
My opinion is I don't think this will happen right away, it's actually still quite a few years off. I think the industry still has a fighting chance to push back on this effort and any future efforts but it has to begin now and it's not easy to get enough folks to help fight back aggressively other than just expressing their opinions or writing their legislators, which is a good start but ultimately won't be enough. Attitudes and outlooks have to change. Obviously it's not my investment but I wouldn't ground my equipment right away but a solid transition plan looks like a good idea. Good luck!

My opinion is I don't think this will happen right away, it's actually still quite a few years off. I think the industry still has a fighting chance to push back on this effort and any future efforts but it has to begin now and it's not easy to get enough folks to help fight back aggressively other than just expressing their opinions or writing their legislators, which is a good start but ultimately won't be enough. Attitudes and outlooks have to change. Obviously it's not my investment but I wouldn't ground my equipment right away but a solid transition plan looks like a good idea. Good luck!
This congress has the overriding tendency to knee jerk and act before they think things through. I am just going to cease this aspect of my business and my recreational activities. It is better for me that I change my business plan now rather than wait until the future. We'll see, but I am not holding my breath for good news. :)

I understand, brother. There are no viable options to replace the DJI drones that I own, and even if there were, I cannot afford to do so. I guess that I will just ramp up my portraits and commercial photography work to make up for the lost revenue - neither of which are as enjoyable as flying. I just wish that I hadn't wasted the time and money on the aircraft, getting licensed and carrying insurance. I despise this useless congress.

After the recent approval of the Anti CCP Drones Act on March 20 by a Congressional committee, I am grounding my fleet. Given current anti-China sentiments in Congress, I believe that the bill will end up being passed by both the House and Senate and ultimately enacted into law. I hope I am wrong, but I cannot bet my business on hopes.
Very understandable and at the same time This will have no problems being passed if we the owners of these Drones Put them on the shelf and give in to the Madness.
I am not a photographer nor am I responsible for any employees SO I have the luxury to hold my ground. I would hope that our government decides NOT to make a criminal of me for simply flying a Drone. I am a Drone hobbyist and I will continue to fly my drones DJI and non DJI. If the Government wishes to waste money running around checking the Manufacturers Label of every drone they see in the air. I say good luck to them and I wonder if all this effort and money could be used for something worthwhile.

Very understandable and at the same time This will have no problems being passed if we the owners of these Drones Put them on the shelf and give in to the Madness.
I am not a photographer nor am I responsible for any employees SO I have the luxury to hold my ground. I would hope that our government decides NOT to make a criminal of me for simply flying a Drone. I am a Drone hobbyist and I will continue to fly my drones DJI and non DJI. If the Government wishes to waste money running around checking the Manufacturers Label of every drone they see in the air. I say good luck to them and I wonder if all this effort and money could be used for something worthwhile.
Don't get me wrong... I am a fighter against injustice by nature. However, I cannot continue to solicit commercial aerial business and invest in aircraft with this cloud of idiocy hanging over me and the rest of us. The next thing you know, the congressional morons will go after iPhones, Android phones, tablets, computers, and more... all of which are manufactured in China.

Don't get me wrong... I am a fighter against injustice by nature. However, I cannot continue to solicit commercial aerial business and invest in aircraft with this cloud of idiocy hanging over me and the rest of us. The next thing you know, the congressional morons will go after iPhones, Android phones, tablets, computers, and more... all of which are manufactured in China.
However, knowing today's climate, I wish that I had not invested nearly $5,000 in DJI drones over the past two years. I had planned on adding an additional Mavic 3 to my fleet this year, but not anymore. I would not spend one dollar on DJI drones right now, and I love them dearly. Thanks, ill-informed congresspeople.

I wish that I had not invested nearly $5,000 in DJI drones over the past two years. I had planned on adding an additional Mavic 3 to my fleet this year, but not anymore. I would not spend one dollar on DJI drones right now, and I love them dearly. Thanks, ill-informed congresspeople.
I will go out on a limb and say Almost Every County or locally funded Emergency Service in the U.S Is screaming those same words now.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
I will go out on a limb and say Almost Every County or locally funded Emergency Service in the U.S Is screaming those same words now.
I agree. I often work with our local EMA services. However, in an election year, the congressional heretics don't seem to care.

Reactions: Cafguy
This sort of situation is what arises when technologically illiterates are elected. They don't know the first thing about RF frequencies, encryption, avionics or photography, and yet their arrogance, accompanied by anti-DJI lobbyists, suddenly makes them "experts." Personally, if my local congressman supports this bill, I will work to see that he does not get reelected... assuming that we will still be able to vote after 2024.

After the recent approval of the Anti CCP Drones Act on March 20 by a Congressional committee, I am grounding my fleet.
That seems an odd reaction to something that hasn't happened, might not happen, and if it does, probably wouldn't stop you from using your existing drones anyway.
Why not fly while you can and fly until you can't?

That seems an odd reaction to something that hasn't happened, might not happen, and if it does, probably wouldn't stop you from using your existing drones anyway.
Why not fly while you can and fly until you can't?
Finally a voice of reason from the wilderness. The sky isn’t falling. If I gave up everything our legislators are “working to ban” in the future, I’d be sitting on my couch all day eating potato chips. I admit, I don’t have a business interest on the line and the OP is in the very best position to know what’s in his best interests but this panic seems exceedingly premature given the dysfunction rampant in DC.

However, knowing today's climate, I wish that I had not invested nearly $5,000 in DJI drones over the past two years. I had planned on adding an additional Mavic 3 to my fleet this year, but not anymore. I would not spend one dollar on DJI drones right now, and I love them dearly. Thanks, ill-informed congresspeople.
Exactly. These idiots are telling us that flying our drones is transmitting classified info to the Chinese, while they are on their Chinese-made cellphones 24/7 discussing God-knows-what secure information, not to mention their indiscreet liasons and the occasional inappropriate photo. But they are shameless and most of us who are worried are dedicated rule-followers. Someone needs to call them out.

Finally a voice of reason from the wilderness. The sky isn’t falling. If I gave up everything our legislators are “working to ban” in the future, I’d be sitting on my couch all day eating potato chips. I admit, I don’t have a business interest on the line and the OP is in the very best position to know what’s in his best interests but this panic seems exceedingly premature given the dysfunction rampant in DC.

I am not panicking. I am preparing for the future. I do not believe that anything will stop these bozos from going after the drones. If I am proven wrong, good... great, even. However, I do not think that it makes sense for me to spend any more time or money investing in the aerial segment of my business when it is under a cloud of uncertainty. Instead, I choose to put my money into other segments of my business that are not at risk, such as portraiture, events, commercial photography, publication photography and writing articles. I know that I can rely upon these sources to pay my bills going forward.

Reactions: fignewton

"fight back aggressively"

Again, what are you advocating? Anything specific?

Reactions: rickmurray1989
I am not panicking. I am preparing for the future. I do not believe that anything will stop these bozos from going after the drones. If I am proven wrong, good... great, even. However, I do not think that it makes sense for me to spend any more time or money investing in the aerial segment of my business when it is under a cloud of uncertainty. Instead, I choose to put my money into other segments of my business that are not at risk, such as portraiture, events, commercial photography, publication photography and writing articles. I know that I can rely upon these sources to pay my bills going forward.
However, regardless of the courses of action chosen, I would strongly advise any drone business operators relying upon DJI fleets to begin imagining what their business models would look like under a DJI ban. Even if existing fleets are allowed to continue to operate (which is NOT guaranteed under the current legislation), future repairs, upgrades, replacements and additions could be blocked as well. Overtime, drone fleets could grow smaller due to attrition and the lack of a legal supply chain for new or replacement aircraft from DJI.

For me personally, there are no viable alternatives or manufacturers for me that match the price/performance equation of current DJI drones. So until this quagmire is settled, I am going to concentrate on keeping my business profitable and growing in other areas.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Instead, I choose to put my money into other segments of my business that are not at risk, such as portraiture, events, commercial photography, publication photography and writing articles. I know that I can rely upon these sources to pay my bills going forward.
What's to stop you from continuing to fly without putting any extra investment in for now?
It's self-destructive pessimism to shut down the aerial business and leave the drones that you've paid for just sitting there doing nothing.

"fight back aggressively"

Again, what are you advocating? Anything specific?
I would like to know that, too, I have already contacted my congressman multiple times and I have received no feedback. I have also signed several online drone petitions and I have talked with others in my area extensively about the issue and how it will impact them even though they don't fly drones. Until they lose services that are provided by drones, they won't care.

Reactions: fignewton
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne