DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Congress seems to be inching closer to banning DJI Drones

"fight back aggressively"

Again, what are you advocating? Anything specific?
I would like to know that, too, I have already contacted my congressman multiple times and I have received no feedback. I have also signed several online drone petitions and I have talked with others in my area extensively about the issue and how it will impact them even though they don't fly drones. Until they lose services that are provided by drones, they won't care.
Unfortunately it's not appropriate to discuss the specifics here in this forum.

Unfortunately it's not appropriate to discuss the specifics here in this forum.

So all this hinting about "fighting back" is just drama with no substance for discussion? Or are you advocating something violent or illegal? If there's no substance, there's no point in continuing. If it can't be discussed why bring it up?

So all this hinting about "fighting back" is just drama with no substance for discussion? Or are you advocating something violent or illegal? If there's no substance, there's no point in continuing. If it can't be discussed why bring it up?
I'm not hinting at anything, it's Freedom 101. If you knew anything about it, you would know it has little to do with being illegal or being violent. Fight for this cause like you would fight for any other cause you really care about. Do you need to me teach you how? Why keep begging me to discuss the specifics in a location (forum) where I am saying it is inappropriate to discuss or I don't feel comfortable going into the details?

I never said I didn't want to discuss it, I said I didn't want to discuss it here in this forum and if I'm being honest, with you. because you don't seem to be open to it. You are right, there's no point in continuing beyond just the high level opinion that I have offered because going further tends to get petty and argumentative, and ends up going sideways. I'd rather not get into that and would prefer to consort and collaborate and strategize with those who have similar interests in the cause. In the past, I have mentioned that the community needs to organize and take this fight in a judicial (rather than legislative) direction and do it today instead of tomorrow.

I would NOT gamble a business on this prediction BUT In the end If the ban is defeated As a 107 drone operator I think you will be fine as long as you get the required paperwork for probably every commercial flight you make.
If you are a Recreational Drone owner (non 107) and you wish to Fly any Drone Over the 250G limit-Welcome to the AMA because you will be regulated to fly your "big" Drones there. Mini's could be next but they will get much more pushback trying to do that. You just need to look at a current map of approved FRIA's To see where this is going.

I am for fighting back with legal means, e.g. contacting legislators, writing op-eds, signing petitions, etc. However, I can also read the tea leaves. This is a bitter, high stakes election year... no politician of either party wants to appear soft on China. There is a strong possibility that they will silence TikTok, which has over 100 million active users in the US, who are actively protesting the possible ban. Many of those users are popular influencers who have hundreds of thousand followers who will be extremely angry about a ban on the service, and they vote. If Congress doesn't care about them, what makes anyone think that the will care about the much smaller drone pilot base? They all want to appear tough, and by fabricating a national security issue, they will be able to pass the drone ban with minimal opposition.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Exactly. These idiots are telling us that flying our drones is transmitting classified info to the Chinese, while they are on their Chinese-made cellphones 24/7 discussing God-knows-what secure information, not to mention their indiscreet liasons and the occasional inappropriate photo. But they are shameless and most of us who are worried are dedicated rule-followers. Someone needs to call them out.
Not to mention huge mysteries balloons from China flying across our country gathering who knows what kind of intel!

Reactions: rickmurray1989
Alright alright, everyone have some decaf.

I have some faith that groups like Home - Drone Service Providers Alliance have the right composition and platform to help fight the good fight to help us grow this industry, not retreat from bad legislation. Consider joining if you have not.

Reactions: okw
Alright alright, everyone have some decaf.

I have some faith that groups like Home - Drone Service Providers Alliance have the right composition and platform to help fight the good fight to help us grow this industry, not retreat from bad legislation. Consider joining if you have not.
I hope you are right, but I can't run my business based upon hope. Most years, I believe that cooler heads would prevail over the grandstanding moron wing in Congress - but not this year.

This is a pivotal election year, and no one running for office wants to appear soft on China. So what if they put drone businesses out of business? Why should they fear drone pilots or associations - after all, they are going after TikTok which has over 100 million U.S. users. If they are not afraid of alienating that sector of the electorate, they are not going to lose any sleep over ticking off a much smaller base of commercial and recreational drone pilots.

Frankly, I believe that if a DJI drone ban could ever be enacted into law, it will be this year... there is a perfect and catastrophic storm brewing. That is why I am ramping up my non-aerial business sectors to make up for what I will lose in revenue if and when the ban goes into effect.

Very understandable and at the same time This will have no problems being passed if we the owners of these Drones Put them on the shelf and give in to the Madness.
I am not a photographer nor am I responsible for any employees SO I have the luxury to hold my ground. I would hope that our government decides NOT to make a criminal of me for simply flying a Drone. I am a Drone hobbyist and I will continue to fly my drones DJI and non DJI. If the Government wishes to waste money running around checking the Manufacturers Label of every drone they see in the air. I say good luck to them and I wonder if all this effort and money could be used for something worthwhile.
That's now how it will work under the proposed bill. They will require DJI to cease operating on FCC-approved US airwaves... it will only take a keystroke or two on their authentication servers to brick the drones. No on-site sticker inspection needed.

I'm not hinting at anything, it's Freedom 101. If you knew anything about it, you would know it has little to do with being illegal or being violent. Fight for this cause like you would fight for any other cause you really care about. Do you need to me teach you how? Why keep begging me to discuss the specifics in a location (forum) where I am saying it is inappropriate to discuss or I don't feel comfortable going into the details?

I never said I didn't want to discuss it, I said I didn't want to discuss it here in this forum and if I'm being honest, with you. because you don't seem to be open to it. You are right, there's no point in continuing beyond just the high level opinion that I have offered because going further tends to get petty and argumentative, and ends up going sideways. I'd rather not get into that and would prefer to consort and collaborate and strategize with those who have similar interests in the cause. In the past, I have mentioned that the community needs to organize and take this fight in a judicial (rather than legislative) direction and do it today instead of tomorrow.

I am strongly in favor of preventing an ill-founded, paranoia-based, restriction on DJI drone sales and operation in the United States and elsewhere.

I'm not begging you for anything. I'm challenging you to provide some substantive and positive suggestions about the "fight" you mention frequently. Perhaps you might "consort and collaborate and strategize."

Last edited:
I would NOT gamble a business on this prediction BUT In the end If the ban is defeated As a 107 drone operator I think you will be fine as long as you get the required paperwork for probably every commercial flight you make.
If you are a Recreational Drone owner (non 107) and you wish to Fly any Drone Over the 250G limit-Welcome to the AMA because you will be regulated to fly your "big" Drones there. Mini's could be next but they will get much more pushback trying to do that. You just need to look at a current map of approved FRIA's To see where this is going.
There are a few AMA fields around here...you cannot fly a drone at any of them, and not all FRIAs do allow them either

That's now how it will work under the proposed bill. They will require DJI to cease operating on FCC-approved US airwaves... it will only take a keystroke or two on their authentication servers to brick the drones. No on-site sticker inspection needed.
That's just nonsense, like the whole of this silly thread.
Your paranoia has really run away with you.

However, knowing today's climate, I wish that I had not invested nearly $5,000 in DJI drones over the past two years. I had planned on adding an additional Mavic 3 to my fleet this year, but not anymore. I would not spend one dollar on DJI drones right now, and I love them dearly. Thanks, ill-informed congresspeople.

The trouble is that it is ill informed ... or in some case just plain ignorant ... voters who keep putting these people in Congress. Both parties can do a LOT better than they have.

After the recent approval of the Anti CCP Drones Act on March 20 by a Congressional committee, I am grounding my fleet. Given current anti-China sentiments in Congress, I believe that the bill will end up being passed by both the House and Senate and ultimately enacted into law. I hope I am wrong, but I cannot bet my business on hopes.

I have reached out to my Congressman on several occasions to express my opposition to the act and my pleas seem to have fallen on deaf ears. Today, I made the decision to ground my fleet going forward. Aerial photography and inspection engagements have become an important part of my small photography business, but I cannot continue to plan for the future with a congressional sword hanging over my head.

As such, I am going to act as though the ban has been put into effect already so that I can concentrate on growing the other sectors of my business that Congress hasn't taken aim at... yet. If the bill is defeated, which I now think is unlikely, given the TikTok hysteria, I will rethink this decision. However, I am going to pursue non-aerial customers going forward in order to keep my business growing and profitable.

Hopefully, there will be a resolution to this issue before I have to renew my 107 certificate in June. If it does indeed become law, I will not renew my certificate, as I cannot afford to purchase a new fleet of non-DJI drones.

So, what ya got for sale?

After the recent approval of the Anti CCP Drones Act on March 20 by a Congressional committee, I am grounding my fleet. Given current anti-China sentiments in Congress, I believe that the bill will end up being passed by both the House and Senate and ultimately enacted into law. I hope I am wrong, but I cannot bet my business on hopes.

I have reached out to my Congressman on several occasions to express my opposition to the act and my pleas seem to have fallen on deaf ears. Today, I made the decision to ground my fleet going forward. Aerial photography and inspection engagements have become an important part of my small photography business, but I cannot continue to plan for the future with a congressional sword hanging over my head.

As such, I am going to act as though the ban has been put into effect already so that I can concentrate on growing the other sectors of my business that Congress hasn't taken aim at... yet. If the bill is defeated, which I now think is unlikely, given the TikTok hysteria, I will rethink this decision. However, I am going to pursue non-aerial customers going forward in order to keep my business growing and profitable.

Hopefully, there will be a resolution to this issue before I have to renew my 107 certificate in June. If it does indeed become law, I will not renew my certificate, as I cannot afford to purchase a new fleet of non-DJI drones.

Does that also mean you won't be posting here anymore?

What is the government's rational? Wouldn't pre-existing drones be grandfathered in? Is there a way to remotely decommission a drone so it is unflyable? What is the problem and what brought it on? I am thinking about semi auto rifles with a pistol grip, magazine and black.

What is the government's rational? Wouldn't pre-existing drones be grandfathered in? Is there a way to remotely decommission a drone so it is unflyable? What is the problem and what brought it on? I am thinking about semi auto rifles with a pistol grip, magazine and black.
Ba ha ha ha....you used "government" and "rational" in the same sentence!! Now THAT'S funny!! 😂🤣

That's just nonsense, like the whole of this silly thread.
If you owned a company that used DJI Drones for a service and you where facing this rumor mill would you wait till the last moment to tell the employees that depend on a paycheck "Sorry I was wrong" OR is it best to use caution and plan for what could be. As a responsible employer I would have to side with the OP.

Reactions: mavic3usa

Sure, and that's not going to happen.

If the US government banned sales of DJI drones in the US, DJI has little incentive to obey an order by the US government to brick the existing aircraft in owner's hands. It would be very much against their business interests around the rest of the world to follow such a directive.

In fact it would be a very good business move to be defiant.

Furthermore, DJI isn't transmitting anything in US spectrum... I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZDave and Cafguy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas