DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel advisory: Drone tax - Mexican Customs

Was just taxed by Mexican Customs for bringing my Mavic 3 with me. Non-commercial application. Be advised it can be costly - it’s a percentage of declared value. What percentage precisely? Seems to vary.
Bottom line: Drones are no longer considered cameras per se - they have their own special place in the hearts of Customs agents.
Respects and regards to the community.
I am going to Mexico this coming January and would absolutely love to take my new Mini 3 pro however, the only information I have been able to find anywhere states that non Mexicans are prohibited from flying or bringing into the country any drone no mater the size or weight or purpose without a special permit and approval from the Mexican government obtained prior to the visit. Can you please point me to a site that states otherwise as I would really like to take the mini3 but I'm not willing to risk fines or confiscation.

No direct, personal experience in Mexico - though I'm also very interested (I plan to take my drone to Honduras in February, and hoping to fly it in Mexico at a later date). But...

See this thread Flying in Mexico - and read all of it, especially the (currently) last entry, which I will quote (in part) here (bold text is my emphasis, not theirs):
YOU CAN in the Micro catagory SUB 250 Gram. Also, Here is a translated version of the regulations. It's a mess, but in short if you are under 250 grams your good to fly following recreational guidelines as expressed by the representative in an email I received from SCT.GOB.MX.

@cms3717, who posted that, also describes a letter he/she sent to the Mexican authorities. He says they assured him if your drone is under 250 grams, and flown just for recreation, you (yes, even a visitor) can operate it legally, as long as you follow some reasonable restrictions (similar to restrictions you will find nearly everywhere: stay far away from airports and heliports, no flying over people, no flying over national parks or antiquities, don't fly too high, don't fly around military stuff or anything that could be classified as critical infrastructure, lots of other common sense restrictions).

Maybe ping user @cms3717 to see if they can provide any update/additional details?

Bottom line, if what he/she says is true (I have not verified that it is), you should be OK flying your sub-250 gram Mini3 Pro recreationally in Mexico, as long as you fly responsibly and follow common-sense guidelines. Being discreet will certainly help.

(FWIW, I've had my share of encounters with Mexican cops, and have always found them professional, reasonable, even friendly and helpful, just like the cops at home. Of course you will hear lots of stories about shakedowns, but I've always found that if you bring a respectful, humble and friendly attitude, that has always been how they've treated me. YMMV)

If you do take your Mini to Mexico, please do report back on your experience (including details of any "drone tax" issues you might face upon clearing customs).

No direct, personal experience in Mexico - though I'm also very interested (I plan to take my drone to Honduras in February, and hoping to fly it in Mexico at a later date). But...

See this thread Flying in Mexico - and read all of it, especially the (currently) last entry, which I will quote (in part) here (bold text is my emphasis, not theirs):

@cms3717, who posted that, also describes a letter he/she sent to the Mexican authorities. He says they assured him if your drone is under 250 grams, and flown just for recreation, you (yes, even a visitor) can operate it legally, as long as you follow some reasonable restrictions (similar to restrictions you will find nearly everywhere: stay far away from airports and heliports, no flying over people, no flying over national parks or antiquities, don't fly too high, don't fly around military stuff or anything that could be classified as critical infrastructure, lots of other common sense restrictions).

Maybe ping user @cms3717 to see if they can provide any update/additional details?

Bottom line, if what he/she says is true (I have not verified that it is), you should be OK flying your sub-250 gram Mini3 Pro recreationally in Mexico, as long as you fly responsibly and follow common-sense guidelines. Being discreet will certainly help.

(FWIW, I've had my share of encounters with Mexican cops, and have always found them professional, reasonable, even friendly and helpful, just like the cops at home. Of course you will hear lots of stories about shakedowns, but I've always found that if you bring a respectful, humble and friendly attitude, that has always been how they've treated me. YMMV)

If you do take your Mini to Mexico, please do report back on your experience (including details of any "drone tax" issues you might face upon clearing customs).
Hey Aerophile, thanks very much for that. I will look into this further and will definitely post back with my experience if I do end up taking the mini down to Mexico. With some nice video too hopefully.

My mini 2 has been to Mehico twice now and is heading back in January. One trip they did not look in bag. The most recent they asked what it was and sent me on my way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerophile
This grift isn't restricted to drones.
I know of an underwater photographer going there (for a holiday, not work) and his underwater housing and equipment was also "taxed" this way. Given the value of this is about $8k it was an eyewatering effective robbery.

Was just taxed by Mexican Customs for bringing my Mavic 3 with me. Non-commercial application. Be advised it can be costly - it’s a percentage of declared value. What percentage precisely? Seems to vary.
Bottom line: Drones are no longer considered cameras per se - they have their own special place in the hearts of Customs agents.
Respects and regards to the community.
Mexico is the land of grift-tortion. Last time I went there got grifted by a motorcycle cop with the border in sight.

This grift isn't restricted to drones.
I know of an underwater photographer going there (for a holiday, not work) and his underwater housing and equipment was also "taxed" this way. Given the value of this is about $8k it was an eyewatering effective robbery.
Griftortion is something that technically the government isn't supposed to be able to engage in, but we know they do it anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7