DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel with mini 2 from US to Mexico

Dominic1

Reactions
I will be traveling to Mexico from the US and would like to bring my mini 2 fly more combo. I am confused if I should bring it. From what I know, I should bring the batteries in my carryons, and have 2 batteries in the charging mount and one battery in the drone. I do not know where I should put the controller as it seems to not be allowed in a carryon. And since I am traveling to a foreign country I do not want it to be taken by law enforcement or have it confiscated. Should I bring my Mini 2?, and if so how should I pack it? I will be going on a flight to Puerto Vallarta. I do not want to have any issues with security with the drone. Any answers on this topic would be appreciated greatly.

Reactions: CharlieHux
Not sure of the answer to your "big picture" question, but the controller has a built-in rechargable lithium battery. For that reason, it is prohibited in the cargo hold. If it flies, it must go in carry-on.

If you want to fly legally you must be a Mexican citizen to fly there. doubt if you could get it through customs. Check out the following link and be sure to read to the bottom of the page.

On Southwest Airlines you can carry on up to 20 batteries of the voltage for your drone.

Reactions: Howard70
I will be traveling to Mexico from the US and would like to bring my mini 2 fly more combo. I am confused if I should bring it. From what I know, I should bring the batteries in my carryons, and have 2 batteries in the charging mount and one battery in the drone. I do not know where I should put the controller as it seems to not be allowed in a carryon. And since I am traveling to a foreign country I do not want it to be taken by law enforcement or have it confiscated. Should I bring my Mini 2?, and if so how should I pack it? I will be going on a flight to Puerto Vallarta. I do not want to have any issues with security with the drone. Any answers on this topic would be appreciated greatly.
Hi. I live in México. Two years ago I purchased the mini fly more combo in US and took a flight from LA to Mexico City. I brought the case with the whole combo on it in my carry-on without further problems. I passed the security check at LA without problems at all. Last year I fought Mexico City to LA with the combo again. No problems at all. On this trip a bought the Mini 2 combo, and get back to Mexico City departing from LA with both combos on my carry-on ( actually, I brought one and my wife the other). No problems neither security checks in LA nor customs in Mexico. I hope my experience help you to take a decision.

I found these rules (in Spanish, naturally):

I speak conversational Spanish reasonably well, but I'm not confident in my ability to translate legalese (It's hard enough for me to translate USA legalese into plain English). Those two documents contain content which is similar, but not exactly the same. I don't know if one is a later revision than the other, or what. I don't know which one would be more authoritative.

5.1.1(a) of the first link says you have to register drones weighing more than 0.250 kg (250g). I can find no registration requirement for drones lighter than that.

4.7.18 of the second link says that a UAS with foreign registration or operated by foreign operators, other than those mentioned in 4.7.17 of this Official Mexican Standard, may not operate in Mexico, unless there is a bilateral agreement between the Aeronautical Authority and the Civil Aviation Authority of the state of registration.

Since it's referenced above, 4.7.17 says that a foreign-registered UAS operated for scientific purposes needs the permission of the Ministry of National Defense.

I'm not sure if 4.7.18 applies to sub-250g drones, since they don't seem to require registration to begin with, but I really wouldn't want to argue the point in a Mexican police station or courthouse.

There are a lot of miscellaneous airspace and operating regulations, some similar to the US, but plenty are different. There is a requirement to read all NOTAMS (4.7.6), and to avoid dangerous, prohibited, or restricted areas as listed in PIA/AIP, section ENR 5.1. (4.7.5). Since meeting both of those requirements would require some ability to decode Spanish, I'm going to stop here, and let the prospective pilot figure out all the details. And while you're at it, get a copy of the relevant charts of airspace and airports.

I found these rules (in Spanish, naturally):

I speak conversational Spanish reasonably well, but I'm not confident in my ability to translate legalese (It's hard enough for me to translate USA legalese into plain English). Those two documents contain content which is similar, but not exactly the same. I don't know if one is a later revision than the other, or what. I don't know which one would be more authoritative.

5.1.1(a) of the first link says you have to register drones weighing more than 0.250 kg (250g). I can find no registration requirement for drones lighter than that.

4.7.18 of the second link says that a UAS with foreign registration or operated by foreign operators, other than those mentioned in 4.7.17 of this Official Mexican Standard, may not operate in Mexico, unless there is a bilateral agreement between the Aeronautical Authority and the Civil Aviation Authority of the state of registration.

Since it's referenced above, 4.7.17 says that a foreign-registered UAS operated for scientific purposes needs the permission of the Ministry of National Defense.

I'm not sure if 4.7.18 applies to sub-250g drones, since they don't seem to require registration to begin with, but I really wouldn't want to argue the point in a Mexican police station or courthouse.

There are a lot of miscellaneous airspace and operating regulations, some similar to the US, but plenty are different. There is a requirement to read all NOTAMS (4.7.6), and to avoid dangerous, prohibited, or restricted areas as listed in PIA/AIP, section ENR 5.1. (4.7.5). Since meeting both of those requirements would require some ability to decode Spanish, I'm going to stop here, and let the prospective pilot figure out all the details. And while you're at it, get a copy of the relevant charts of airspace and airports.
I'm Mexican and live in Mexico. I have never known of somebody arrested for flying a drone. In fact, I know several drone pilots and none of them have ever registered their drones.

If you want to fly legally you must be a Mexican citizen to fly there. doubt if you could get it through customs. Check out the following link and be sure to read to the bottom of the page.

On Southwest Airlines you can carry on up to 20 batteries of the voltage for your drone.
According to the link you supplied (appears to also be written several years ago, before the Mini, and references 2018 and a 2015 video), Mexican citizenship is only required for drones over 250g. Hence, the Mini 2 would be exempt from registration, and therefore should be able to be flown by anyone, including Americans and all foreign persons.

"All drones weighing over 250 grams (.55 pounds) must be registered with the DGCA. Registration requires an official ID proving Mexican citizenship, therefore prohibiting registration by foreign persons."

Reactions: CharlieHux
Just an idle enquiry about American English. Do you always say "bring "instead of "take" when you are referring to a future event?

• Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
Just an idle enquiry about American English. Do you always say "bring "instead of "take" when you are referring to a future event?
Yes, we do have quirks. Think we learned it from our British forefathers. LOL

I, personally would use "take" as it is future tense based, but also sadly our education system in America has rolled off the cliff into a huge pile of manure - last 10-20 years.

And yet, we Yanks seem to think much the same about the Brits and their words - you know like spanner (wrench), bonnet (car hood), etc. I'm from the US South and man we get drilled all the time - as so many people (even in America) don't comprehend our slang or drawl. Yet, if I go to New England and places like MA - I'm like what foreign country did I just enter. Are you speaking American English? Same for many who live in the southern part of Louisiana. Need an interpreter sometimes - but it's ALL GOOD. Spice of life.

I’ve been too Mexico several times from Canada with my drones... Mavic Pro,Mavic Air and Mavic2. I’ve never had any issues, mostly flew on resort but have also flown off. Carried everything on the planes with 5 batteries for each drone and have never used any sort of “fireproof bags”
Have also taken my drones too Mexico, Peru, Dominican Republic, and Jamaica.
I would not try or recommend Cuba, they will seize it at the airport and you will pay too get it back when you leave.

Most folks in these parts probably use poor grammar, myself included, but the use of the words are dependent on location. I bring my drone to a place and I take my drone from a place.

When I fly internationally, I usually take my Spark and leave the Mavic Pro and Air at home. I am able to fit the Spark, a Panasonic GH5 with extra lens and gimble, plus a GoPro with gimble and extra batteries all in a backpack that fits under the seat. I have taken it to Europe, the Philippines and Taiwan with no problems. The mini should be no problem as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser