DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling With Drone

mavicsg

Reactions
Hi guys,

I'm sure many of us here travel with our drones. I for one, have yet to but am planning to with my Mavic, except I do know traveling with a drone can sometimes be a total chore, what with different drone laws in different countries.

So, I was wondering, if anyone has any recommendations on places to travel to where good and beautiful aerial shots can be taken with a drone? Could be cities or just good old landscapes. This is purely for recreational use and not commercial.

I'm thinking Norway since they have quite relaxed laws about drones but am hoping to hear about other countries or places. Photos would be really helpful! :)

Appreciate any advice!

Spain has beautiful areas. I'll be going in May. Though the laws are stricter... I will say some ways around things.

Can't fly over crowded people areas... But I can record if I fly over the water recording toward the beach or going along the beach but over water.

Lots and I mean lots of antique castles you can't fly over and some because they are in small towns.... But I can fly outskirts and record from the outside without flying over town.

Not every place will this work... But Spain is a beautiful country to see and visit.

Canadian planning to travel to California and want to bring drone, anything I should be wary off, or steps I have to take?

Ireland has fairly common sense drone laws. Switzerland too (but you need mandatory insurance by law)

Heading to Cuba in 10 days...

But have no interest in spending time in Cuban Prison... so drone is staying home :) LOL

Reactions: UnusMundus
Canadian planning to travel to California and want to bring drone, anything I should be wary off, or steps I have to take?

Register drone with FAA and read the FAA guidelines (cost $5). They are less strict than Canadian rules. State parks allow drones in ca which is great. No launching in national parks. Other than that i use the b4ufly and hover app to keep out of trouble with restricted air space

Hi guys,

I'm sure many of us here travel with our drones. I for one, have yet to but am planning to with my Mavic, except I do know traveling with a drone can sometimes be a total chore, what with different drone laws in different countries.

So, I was wondering, if anyone has any recommendations on places to travel to where good and beautiful aerial shots can be taken with a drone? Could be cities or just good old landscapes. This is purely for recreational use and not commercial.

I'm thinking Norway since they have quite relaxed laws about drones but am hoping to hear about other countries or places. Photos would be really helpful! :)

Appreciate any advice!

I'm in Norway right now and have flown numerous times in the countryside without a single problem. In Oslo and Bergen I left it in my hotel room. Not a single hassle, except for a video disconnect and near-panic. ;-) RTH still works and I resumed control once it came overhead.

What about flying drones in Canada? Going to Toronto for a few days and may head over to Niagra as well.

What about flying drones in Canada? Going to Toronto for a few days and may head over to Niagra as well.

Banned in the NAtional parks and the Provincial Parks in Canada. Thinking of BC for a fall road trip, and am mapping out routes that skirt along the parks.

Reactions: Zyban03
Did you guys use the Lipo Bag with Batteries to Travel on Plane?

Did you bring the drone in your carry-on or inside your suitcase?

Last time I traveled I did the following:
Batteries had terminals covered with tape, in a sandwich bag, and LiPo Bag - Double bagged
Drone and batteries were on my carry on. Not a word was said to me but I don't know if that had anything to do with TSA-Pre check in.

Reactions: Foladrone
Last time I traveled I did the following:
Batteries had terminals covered with tape, in a sandwich bag, and LiPo Bag - Double bagged
Drone and batteries were on my carry on. Not a word was said to me but I don't know if that had anything to do with TSA-Pre check in.

Thanks, where this "happened" ?

I used one lipo bag per battery and had more issues with airline employees in the states than I did those in airports outside of the country. It basically came down to employees not being well versed on their own policies. Personally I hate having to educate people who are supposed to know better than me. Batteries were in carry on, drone was checked. With my mavic and upcoming travel I intend on having the mavic as carry on thins time.

Thanks Mates, very helpfull tips

Ireland has fairly common sense drone laws. Switzerland too (but you need mandatory insurance by law)

I'm about to fly to Switzerland next month... so according to you, I should have insurance if planning to have the Mavic with me?

****... looks like the Mavic will stay at home.

I'm about to fly to Switzerland next month... so according to you, I should have insurance if planning to have the Mavic with me?

****... looks like the Mavic will stay at home.

Yes. Third party damage insurance is compulsory for flying in Switzerland. Just make sure you have it and it covers you in Switzerland. Take a copy of the policy with you as you have to have proof with you when flying.

Otherwise things are quite easy here.
  • Stay outside of NFZs.
  • You are allowed to fly above inhabited areas as long as there are no groups of people there (more than 12)
  • Recommended max height is 150m above rural areas and 300m above urban areas as these are the minimum flight levels for other aircraft in these areas. Keep in mind that this is only a recommendation. Nothing bans you from going higher
  • When taking videos/photos make sure that people are not recognisable on them if you publish these
  • Use common sense
  • Use more common sense
  • Ah yes, use common sense to

Reactions: ReadyKilowatt
Yes. Third party damage insurance is compulsory for flying in Switzerland. Just make sure you have it and it covers you in Switzerland. Take a copy of the policy with you as you have to have proof with you when flying.

Otherwise things are quite easy here.
  • Stay outside of NFZs.
  • You are allowed to fly above inhabited areas as long as there are no groups of people there (more than 12)
  • Recommended max height is 150m above rural areas and 300m above urban areas as these are the minimum flight levels for other aircraft in these areas. Keep in mind that this is only a recommendation. Nothing bans you from going higher
  • When taking videos/photos make sure that people are not recognisable on them if you publish these
  • Use common sense
  • Use more common sense
  • Ah yes, use common sense to

Thank you so much. I think Mavic will stay at home since my insurance does not cover me in Switzerland. [emoji30]

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman