DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling With Drone

And for UK travellers on Thomson Airways, I received the following response to my request for their rules....

fcd88bf53ce8c98876170c11dfcb0802.jpg

Cheers for this.We are flying with Thompson in September so I will screenshot this for reference.
If ihave any issues I will just say,look here my friend this M4rk bloke said I'm good to go.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Reactions: Mikewilltakeyouto
LOL

Just out of interest, I have emailed them back as their rules for electronic devices in general require batteries to be fully charged. I have asked for clarification on this point for drone batteries.

I will post the response...

LOL

Just out of interest, I have emailed them back as their rules for electronic devices in general require batteries to be fully charged. I have asked for clarification on this point for drone batteries.

Cheers mate,
That would be great info as I thought about 40-50% so the clarification will be good to know.[emoji106]

I have just got back from 3 weeks In Puerto vallatra Mexico.i took my drone and had no problems even on a day out on a pirate ship. We had to go through port customs and there where no drone signs everywhere... They scanned the bag with mavic in and just said move on. Now I'm not sure if it was because they never seen a folded mavic or not, but who cares lol... Didn't have any probs at the airport either had more problems with a asthma pump not in a clear bag ffs.. some stunning beaches, jungles, loads watersports to film and most amazing sunrises and sunsets just popped the mavic upto 100m left it there filming and had a cig and coffee while itt filmed .

You checked your batteries in your luggage? Not carry on? That's actually a potentially dangerous thing to do. Hard to think of a reason to do so.

Don't quote me but I think I've read on previous forums/threads that Mexico actually requires it (against all recommendations elsewhere to carry on batteries). Since he was flying from Mexico I assume he had to?

Batteries were 50 discharged with terminal protectors on them and in hand luggage no problems along with 2 iPads ,gopros extra batteries for that too all in one rucksack, flew Thomson

Last edited:
I have flown in NZ its pretty much the same as rest of world .... high over built up areas, not over big cities or stadiums, no spying and enjoy the wide open spaces .
This is not correct. Flying in NZ without express permission of the landowner is illegal. This includes public property where permission must be sought from the local council

Reactions: Mikewilltakeyouto
Yes. Third party damage insurance is compulsory for flying in Switzerland. Just make sure you have it and it covers you in Switzerland. Take a copy of the policy with you as you have to have proof with you when flying.

Otherwise things are quite easy here.
  • Stay outside of NFZs.
  • You are allowed to fly above inhabited areas as long as there are no groups of people there (more than 12)
  • Recommended max height is 150m above rural areas and 300m above urban areas as these are the minimum flight levels for other aircraft in these areas. Keep in mind that this is only a recommendation. Nothing bans you from going higher
  • When taking videos/photos make sure that people are not recognisable on them if you publish these
  • Use common sense
  • Use more common sense
  • Ah yes, use common sense to

Just got back from Germany and flew in Italy as well. All of the countries (as far as I know) require you to have liability insurance. I was there for 2 weeks and flew everyday. Not once did anyone approach me and tell me I wasn't allowed to fly or ask me for insurance. I had a copy of my SF policy showing I had a liability policy.

True I didn't really spend a ton of time in there air. Maybe 10 minutes at the most per flight. Some areas I did 2 or 3 flights. I just flew up, got the footage of the castle I wanted as well as the surrounding countryside and then returned to base camp.

Traveling from Miami to Frankfurt was uneventful. I had both batteries drained to 25% and each in its own lipo safe bag. I reviewed both airports policies regarding drones as well as TSA guidelines. I had my MP in my carry on and even though I expected someone from TSA to question me after my carry on went thru the X-ray machine, they never blinked an eye. I was pleasantly surprised about the whole experience. I think they are getting used to seeing more and more drones being used.

Good luck. You shouldn't have any problem but just be prepared just in case.

Just out of interest I have emailed them back, as their rules for electronic devices in general require batteries to be fully charged. I have asked for clarification on this point for drone batteries.

And so here is Thomson's reply, as promised.

Drone batteries must be fully charged, as with other electronic devices taken on board.

cea333329a9bdfde8a37130981dc3d7c.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys, I am traveling from Paris to Manila through Muscat, Oman with my DJI MAVIC PRO and batteries in hand luggage. I have there stopover 10hours and I stay at the airport at place for transferring passengers but I am worried about the security check in transfer section. Did someone pass through Muscat with a drone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147