DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble with SD card

360 Guy

Reactions
Class 3 256 GB card. Mavic Mini
I've formatted the card and it comes up on the screen.
Not flying but on a table to check out record to card.
Hitting record, the norm red circle goes on and a count up starts.
In 5 to 7 seconds record stops and the red record button has a circle going around it and all stops.
No recording took place on card.

What am I doing wrong? Anyone who has input to this is welcomed.
TIA

Panz

Reactions: Droniac
Read it again, it says nothing about a maximum size.
Here's what it says:
Supported File System
FAT32(≤32 GB)
exFAT(>32 GB)
Right. I just briefly went through it. My bad.

Reactions: Droniac
Have another card on order but won't receive it till Saturday.
Using such big cards is probably not the best strategy.
Do you really want to keep weeks of material on the card you send out again and again?
How much work would you be comfortable losing at one time?

Using such big cards is probably not the best strategy.
Do you really want to keep weeks of material on the card you send out again and again?
How much work would you be comfortable losing at one time?
I disagree with Meta4 response to the extent that “such big cards is [are] not the best strategy” from the standpoint that any and all critical work product and data should be copied or backed up to your laptop HD or other storage device after each mission. Larger cards have the advantage of NOT having to be removed from your drone as frequently as smaller cards IF you choose that as a priority in your overall operations strategy.
Meta4 did however ask the right question concerning how much “work” or data would you be comfortable (possibly) losing for any reason, which could include a list drone, mishandling of SD card, or other unexpected events. This subject is not unique to drone operations but to electronic data in general. Think about it and develop a plan to suit your specific needs. Happy flying!

I disagree with Meta4 response to the extent that “such big cards is [are] not the best strategy” from the standpoint that any and all critical work product and data should be copied or backed up to your laptop HD or other storage device after each mission. Larger cards have the advantage of NOT having to be removed from your drone as frequently as smaller cards IF you choose that as a priority in your overall operations strategy.
Meta4 did however ask the right question concerning how much “work” or data would you be comfortable (possibly) losing for any reason, which could include a list drone, mishandling of SD card, or other unexpected events. This subject is not unique to drone operations but to electronic data in general. Think about it and develop a plan to suit your specific needs. Happy flying!
I use 64GB SD cards and change when I change batteries. I don’t carry a computer into the field on hikes, etc. This is insurance to minimize data loss in the event that my drone goes down or I crash it. Large cards offer no advantage in this scenario. I usually fly 4-10 batteries at a time to capture images and movies to edit later. I DL to my computer after I get home and the delete the films from the card.

Do other cards work?
Try a smaller card. I’ve dealt with the same. If not mistaken I picked that up on our forum, no doubt. Godspeed

My Mini doesn't like the taste of an off beat brand.
So, I reverted back to the manual and ordered a San Disk Extreme 16Gb recommended.
We shall see if this one works.
Stand by, same Bat channel, same Bat time for further update.

So, I reverted back to the manual and ordered a San Disk Extreme 16Gb recommended.
16GB is the ideal size for drone work, but I'm surprised you could still find them.
They seem to have disappeared from the market some time back.

Haven't come across a class 3 SD card before. As class 2 have a maximum write speed of only 2 Mbs and class 4 is 4 Mbs I would have thought that perhaps the card cannot handle the write speed the drone is trying to use to record.

I only use class 10 SD cards as they work the best with video recording especially 1080p and above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000