DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to ensure I am in compliance - missing anything?

raymnia

Reactions
I travel around the country with my Mavic Air (for fun) and used to use DroneMap to tell me where I could and couldn't fly. I've been out of commission for 2 years and before getting back into things, I am trying to catch back up and ensure I am complying with current rules. My main fear and hesitance in flying is that I am missing a rule that could land me a steep fine or breaking a federal law.

Here's what I currently have:

- TRUST completion certificate I will now carry around
- re-registered my expired FAA Small UAS Certificate
- a label on the outside of my Mavic Air showing my registration number
- have B4UFly app to see where uncontrolled airspace is

I noticed upon re-registration of my drone on the FAA website that I have to now indicate whether it is remote ID capable, which the only option to choose for my serial number supplied is "NO".
I have read mixed reports about when this requirement is going to be enforced? Is it 2023 or 3 months ago ( April 2021 )?

So besides my remote ID question, are there any other requirements I am missing to be able to fly in uncontrolled airspace?

I travel around the country with my Mavic Air (for fun) and used to use DroneMap to tell me where I could and couldn't fly. I've been out of commission for 2 years and before getting back into things, I am trying to catch back up and ensure I am complying with current rules. My main fear and hesitance in flying is that I am missing a rule that could land me a steep fine or breaking a federal law.

Here's what I currently have:

- TRUST completion certificate I will now carry around
- re-registered my expired FAA Small UAS Certificate
- a label on the outside of my Mavic Air showing my registration number
- have B4UFly app to see where uncontrolled airspace is

I noticed upon re-registration of my drone on the FAA website that I have to now indicate whether it is remote ID capable, which the only option to choose for my serial number supplied is "NO".
I have read mixed reports about when this requirement is going to be enforced? Is it 2023 or 3 months ago ( April 2021 )?

So besides my remote ID question, are there any other requirements I am missing to be able to fly in uncontrolled airspace?

You now have to put the drone registration number on the EXTERIOR of the drone. Can't be in the battery compartment any more.

Here's a summary of the new TRUST program requirements.

Reactions: jimc218
September 16, 2023 is the date by which pilots will need to have remote ID equipped. However, at this point there are no instructions from the FAA on how to do that.

Reactions: Pautna
oh thanks, had it in my battery compartment hiding under the battery! Will put a label on the exterior now.
I'd also put your phone number as well - just in case you lose it - if someone finds it, they can call you.

If you have TRUST, then you are pretty good to go. Maybe adding Aloft (used to be Kittyhawk) and I like UAVForecast apps. UAV Forecast is more weather related and provides enough info, esp wind speeds at elevation, it also tell satellite predictability and more. There is a free version that is limited in days forward (2) -but that is plenty fine for me, snice I'm a rec flyer and not a pro who may need to know a week or more in advance.

Last but not least - make sure your FlyApp, drone & RC firmware are up to date, batteries are good and charged - then go have FUN. As a side note on the FlyApp - seems DJI may not have it set to push the "newest" 1.4.8 version for Android. I did not get a notification as I usually do since I've got mine set for auto update. It only took me to 1.4.4; which has several changes - some I personally don't care for. You have to go to the DJI download site and click on downloading the 1.4.8 APK. I haven't turned it on to see "all" the changes yet.

I google the town name along with the term “drone”. Often town meeting transcripts come up, sometimes with drone restrictions that were voted on in town meetings.

Google it...
Drones that already comply with broadcast Remote ID

1. DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2
  2. DJI Phantom 4 Pro
  3. DJI Phantom 4
  4. DJI Phantom 4 RTK
  5. DJI Phantom 4 Multispectral
  6. Mavic Pro
  7. Mavic 2 Pro
  8. Mavic 2 Zoom
  9. Mavic 2 Enterprise
  10. Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual
  11. Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual Advanced
  12. Mavic Air
  13. Mavic Air 2
  14. Mavic Mini
  15. Mini 2
  16. DJI Spark
  17. Inspire 1
  18. Inspire 2
  19. Inspire 2 Pro
  20. Matrice 200
  21. Matrice 210
  22. Matrice 300
Maybe DJI's version of remote ID for their Vectorscope but the FAA specifications aren't even published yet. There's no way to know what's compatible and what isn't until that happens.

Google it...
Drones that already comply with broadcast Remote ID

1. DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2
  2. DJI Phantom 4 Pro
  3. DJI Phantom 4
  4. DJI Phantom 4 RTK
  5. DJI Phantom 4 Multispectral
  6. Mavic Pro
  7. Mavic 2 Pro
  8. Mavic 2 Zoom
  9. Mavic 2 Enterprise
  10. Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual
  11. Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual Advanced
  12. Mavic Air
  13. Mavic Air 2
  14. Mavic Mini
  15. Mini 2
  16. DJI Spark
  17. Inspire 1
  18. Inspire 2
  19. Inspire 2 Pro
  20. Matrice 200
  21. Matrice 210
  22. Matrice 300
The FAA hasn’t approved any means of compliance yet so no existing products comply with remote ID.

The FAA requires that remote ID broadcast be received by the public using existing devices, such as mobile devices. The DJI AeroScope remote ID system doesn’t comply with that requirement so DJI would have to issue a firmware update to make that work if it is indeed possible at all but DJI has given no indication that will happen probably because, again, nobody knows what the FAA will or won’t approve at this point.

Reactions: MaviCam

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan