DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to speed up the video: odd outcome fixed and both 4x and regular speed included

ff22

Reactions
I have replaced the original miserable version with a better version based on info found in the link provided by BDOG (thanks). I have now also included a regular speed version, too

New at this. I took the Osmo Action on a hike and wanted to speed up the video. Not sure what I need to do to have a better outcome, if possible.

Here's what Media Info says about the sample:

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 26.8 MiB
Duration : 36s 670ms
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 6 119 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2019-05-24 23:21:57
Tagged date : UTC 2019-05-24 23:21:57

Last edited:

New at this. I took the Osmo Action on a hike and wanted to speed up the video. Not sure what I need to do to have a better outcome, if possible.

I can’t see the video?

I notice it shows the encode date and time is in the future so maybe that’s why we don’t see anything

I can’t see the video?

How about now? I had made it PRIVATE thinking that if I shared the link, folks could see it. I've changed that flag to Public. Not sure why it shows the encoding at near midnight! Thanks for trying.

Why am I seeing ghosted pixels even in the highest resolution on Youtube? 1440. What are you using for an editor? Premiere Pro?

Why am I seeing ghosted pixels even in the highest resolution on Youtube? 1440. What are you using for an editor? Premiere Pro?
Nothing so exotic. Magix Movie Editor. All I've attempted to do it speed it up. I guess I should take a sample of the 6 minute video, clip it and export otherwise untouched and see how that looks.

I used Magix to quickly edit a Zoom video and that was okay:

Well, I just quickly loaded, clipped and exported - same terrible video quality. I have to figure out what's different on the Zoom and the Action?

Last edited:
THANKS very much. I think the new result in a huge improvement. I did tweak a Magix setting to output BEST results. But that overall article really had some other great ideas. I did notice it was much worse on Horizontal panning and not quite a terrible straight on. The article referenced sideward action crosswise to the camera causing more of those fuzzy results.

It is definitely more passable. Let me say, walking with the camera in one hand on that rocky surface was a challenge and I think the camera did a better job than I did. I usually use poles (one hip replaced twice) and had them in the other hand as an occasional outrigger.

Here's the regular version (can't seem to get hd)

Last edited:
Big improvement. If you are creating to present to others remember to keep the camera pointed forward as much as possible. When we are out filming we mistakenly think that our viewers would like to look over to the left or look over to the right . Kinda the way our head swivels back and forth.

In reality when the camera moves left and right it can become an annoyance.

Better to stop the clip recording. Then re position the camera with it pointed at the area that one wants the viewer to see and then record another clip. Or just edit out the part where the camera moves from straight ahead to the new angle its pointed towards.

Long slow movements appear more cinematic and will hold the viewers attention. Unless one sets the tone of the video up front with fast cuts , fast action and lots of different subject angles. (Action camera type stuff)

Big improvement. If you are creating to present to others remember to keep the camera pointed forward as much as possible. When we are out filming we mistakenly think that our viewers would like to look over to the left or look over to the right . Kinda the way our head swivels back and forth.

In reality when the camera moves left and right it can become an annoyance.

Better to stop the clip recording. Then re position the camera with it pointed at the area that one wants the viewer to see and then record another clip. Or just edit out the part where the camera moves from straight ahead to the new angle its pointed towards.

Long slow movements appear more cinematic and will hold the viewers attention. Unless one sets the tone of the video up front with fast cuts , fast action and lots of different subject angles. (Action camera type stuff)
Thanks.

Really, except for a few "Digital Still Camera" videos, and now the Zoom drone, I've not really done much "filming" so these suggestions are really helpful. (well, giving some hint to my age, I did use an 8mm movie camera for a number of years)

I think you are right - there's a tendency to pan the camera as filming.

I think I also was testing the recording ability - that is how long a non-stop segment could run. I did stop for lunch so each segment ran about 23 minutes without a break (other than the 4gig limit which split the videos).

Straight line and slow using multiple shots types works well. I fight the urge to turn the drone while filming and try and fly straight shots. It takes some getting used to for sure.

Reactions: ff22