DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Turn off Precision Landing

Discovery III

Reactions
Hello Mavicpilots !

I wonder where we could turn off all the precision landing effects on the Mavic 3.
I use oftenly drones above the sea and when drones are landing on a boat, it needs to be quick because waves, current, ....
Mavic 3 took always few seconds to scan your hand or the boat before landing.
Do you have any tips to avoid it ?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

I wonder where we could turn off all the precision landing effects on the Mavic 3.
Just for information.
I think the feature you are seeking to switch off is "Landing Protection" and NOT "precision landing". I guess that the youtube posted by Mavic3USA shows you how to do that.

Precision landing is only switched on if you take off in a prescribed manner which basically means that the drone must take off and climb to a height of 7m or more BEFORE moving horizontally, see page 20 of the manual

The ability to turn off landing 'protection' would be useful on all the current crop of DJI drones. It's hard to hit a small mat when even a small breeze is blowing, when the drone is hovering 12-18 in. above ground and drops like a rock when it finally decides to land. I know how land a drone without smashing it into the ground. AFAIC Landing protection is just another 'feature' to protect people from themselves. We ought to at least have a choice.

Reactions: 3rdof5
The ability to turn off landing 'protection' would be useful on all the current crop of DJI drones. It's hard to hit a small mat when even a small breeze is blowing, when the drone is hovering 12-18 in. above ground and drops like a rock when it finally decides to land. I know how land a drone without smashing it into the ground. AFAIC Landing protection is just another 'feature' to protect people from themselves. We ought to at least have a choice.
Your drone is being blown horizontally by small breezes when it's hovering prior to a landing? Which model? Did you have sensors taped over?

Mine are rock steady once they've descended low enough to be seeing the details of the ground with the downward facing sensors.

one way of improving the handling of the drone, during manual landing ,i have found ,especially if its windy ,is to turn off OA ,have the drone in Cine mode ,and then you have much finer control over the slight movements, as the wind buffets the drone ,on both the Mini 3 pro and Air 3 bypass mode is very twitchy ,even with the slightest of stick movements, plus you have the added bonus, of being able to stand closer to the drones landing position ,without the OA bleeping ,you only need to do this for the last few feet of the descent ,as you approach the landing pad

one way of improving the handling of the drone, during manual landing ,i have found ,especially if its windy ,is to turn off OA ,have the drone in Cine mode ,and then you have much finer control over the slight movements, as the wind buffets the drone ,on both the Mini 3 pro and Air 3 bypass mode is very twitchy ,even with the slightest of stick movements, plus you have the added bonus, of being able to stand closer to the drones landing position ,without the OA bleeping ,you only need to do this for the last few feet of the descent ,as you approach the landing pad
I am quite surprised how many people have made mention of having OA on when landing, obviously that does not apply to you.
If nothing else OA is IMO quite likely to detect the pilot, ( that assumes the pilot is stood near the landing spot ) or hedges, trees, house or car etc.. which is going to screw up control.
I'm curious about your using Cine mode, doesn't that severely limit airspeed and theoretically limit its ability to fight wind?
Or have DJI programmed the drone to tilt enough to fight 'fast wind' but stay within ground speed limits?

@Yorkshire_Pud i am not turning off OA ,or selecting Cine till about 10ft off the ground,
then i come down as close to the pad as the landing protection will allow ,about 18inches above the landing pad ,then its a simple matter to make small corrections, till i am happy that the drone is where i want it ,then left stick down and hold till motors stop,

OMM, thanks for the landing tip. After all the hours and miles of flying under my belt, that never occurred to me. I’m embarrassed! I seldom use cine as most of my work are stills. I just try to use a very delicate touch in normal mode. I’ll try your system this afternoon. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
@Dbez1 ,as i suffer with arthritis in my hands ,that ,especially if its cold ,makes it hard to give nice precise stick commands ,i have tried to look for ways to overcome this issue.
and what i have described above works for me ,we are all different in our approach,to controlling the drone we are flying ,and if my posts help someone else achieve their goal ,then its worth mentioning it on the forum ,thanks for your comments in your post above

Reactions: GadgetGuy
@Yorkshire_Pud ,a general lack of movement in my hand joints ,which makes my thumb and finger joints extremely stiff and painful ,but i am not going to let it spoil my hobby, i just find ways to compensate for it ,its no different to the fact that ,i don't hand launch /catch, because i have to take anticoagulant medicine every day ,i also can't make a nice flat hand to land the drone on ,and i can't afford to get injured by the spinning blades

@Yorkshire_Pud ,a general lack of movement in my hand joints ,which makes my thumb and finger joints extremely stiff and painful ,but i am not going to let it spoil my hobby, i just find ways to compensate for it ,its no different to the fact that ,i don't hand launch /catch, because i have to take anticoagulant medicine every day ,i also can't make a nice flat hand to land the drone on ,and i can't afford to get injured by the spinning blades
I am wondering if mounting the controller on some sort of tray that is suspended from your neck via a suitable lanyard, or hooked to your belt and braced by 'right-angled shelf-brackets' which are in contact with your lower body*, might allow you to use wrist movements to 'move your fingers' without actually continually flexing the individual joints in each finger.
If your wrists are bad the idea might be extendable to using elbow and shoulder movements, just as people "one finger type".
Additionally, would some sort of ball jointed 'knob' attached to the top of each joystick, that might allow you a different grip, be of any use?

*You might even be able to slip the 'right-angled shelf brackets' down your trousers so that they function as both hook and 'stay', but that might make walking a bit difficult ..... maybe not such a good idea. 🤔 Thinking about it, if you stumbled having the brackets' lower arms 'trapped' inside your trousers might not be a good idea and that's not just thinking about the 'family jewels' etc. lol. A strapped stay might puncture you belly or thigh.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
@Yorkshire_Pud i do use a lanyard on both of my drones ,for which i have the DJI RC and the DJI RC2 ,since i started using the original DJI RC that came with my Mini 3 pro ,its light weight, and ease of use, has made a huge difference to my flying experience,and the Air 3 RC 2 has continued in that aspect ,i find that both of them are easy to cradle in my hands ,and allow me to use my thumbs to move the sticks ,another aspect of the new Air 3, which i am finding very useful, is the cruise control,i put it in Cine mode ,with a slow forwards movement ,and i can get really smooth video ,the sideways use of cruise control ,is also a great way of getting a nice continuous flow as well ,and these are even better if videoing using the Tele lens ,thankyou for some of your suggestions ,maybe one day i will have to adopt some different ways of flying my drones
but for now i am quite happy

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne