DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Turn on dji mini 3 pro remotely?

fadi

Reactions
Hello,
I'd like to turn on my mini 3 using some type of wireless remote not necessarily using the drone controller, I'm hoping to find a way without having to tear the thing apart and installing new on and off switch

Thanks in advance for any ideas

@fadi not really something that is possible i am afraid

Besides, the power button is on the battery, isn't it? If correct, that would complicate matters.
The only thing I can think of working would be some sort of device that is either stuck to the battery and would correctly push the button or is mounted next to, or on, some sort of tray/bracket that holds the drone whilst the device correctly pushes the button.
Messing with the internals of the drone would invalidate warranty and care refresh etc. and would I think require significant knowledge of the drone's circuitry and skill.

It would also mean that the drone has to be left with the gimbal cover off, the arms opened, the drone sitting ready to fly and probably somewhere from where it can fly. None of which strikes me as a good idea.

Hello,
I'd like to turn on my mini 3 using some type of wireless remote not necessarily using the drone controller, I'm hoping to find a way without having to tear the thing apart and installing new on and off switch

Thanks in advance for any ideas
Can you explain your reasoning?

Are you hoping to do a remote power-up or have a faulty power switch?

If it’s a remote start then no.

It's hard.

On the mavic 2 I did an external battery input, so it's was connected to a power supply and drone was turned the whole time. It charges the battery as well.
Not a good idea, since the mini3 seems to overheat.

You could solder wires to the button and have an external switch.

Or use this:
Don't know if it fast enough for the double click though.
Please report back how it goes.

No. Both the Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro have the power button on the top of the drone body:
View attachment 159060
Ahh thanks, that might simplify things but still difficult and would invalidate warranty etc..
That said, would modifying the drone internally in such a manner render it illegal to fly in the relevant jurisdiction?

Last edited:
It wouldn't be that hard on paper. Simply put a "kill switch" in line with the power or ESC systems. But since you don't want to dive into the body of the drone, it's not possible. And honestly, I would never do that. It's another failure point for the drone. Something else to go wrong in the sky.

And why would you want to do this anyway?

Reactions: YVRGUY

I'm building a launch pad :) the idea is some type of a box that sits on my car roof rack so while I'm off roading I will hit a button box that will open the box and drone will fly. The box part is fairly easy to build but I'm stuck on powering on the drone, it would be pointless if I have to power it on manually

I'm building a launch pad :) the idea is some type of a box that sits on my car roof rack so while I'm off roading I will hit a button box that will open the box and drone will fly. The box part is fairly easy to build but I'm stuck on powering on the drone, it would be pointless if I have to power it on manual
Besides, the power button is on the battery, isn't it? If correct, that would complicate matters.
The only thing I can think of working would be some sort of device that is either stuck to the battery and would correctly push the button or is mounted next to, or on, some sort of tray/bracket that holds the drone whilst the device correctly pushes the button.
Messing with the internals of the drone would invalidate warranty and care refresh etc. and would I think require significant knowledge of the drone's circuitry and skill.

It would also mean that the drone has to be left with the gimbal cover off, the arms opened, the drone sitting ready to fly and probably somewhere from where it can fly. None of which strikes me as a good idea.
Usually all fun ideas is the ones that you shouldn't do :) I'm not worried much about warranty and yes gimbal cover will be off and arms open however it will be secure till it's used

Make a radio controlled "finger" that can double press the power button. Basically a motorised lever that swings down and presses on the button. Getting the double tap would be the challenge, though it could be achieved easy enough with an arduino microcontroller or similar, and a bit of experimenting.

Reactions: ggmeyer
How would you prevent the drone from bouncing around inside the box yet still allow it to be launched?

@fadi get yourself car with sunroof 😁 ……in case you find a way to build a “finger” you must post video here 👍

• Haha
Reactions: rickmurray1989
Here is my use for a remote on/off capability. I recently got my drone stuck in a very high pine tree. I knew which tree it was in, but did not know where in the tree it was stuck. The battery was at about 10%. I thought, "If I could only remotely turn off the drone, then I could come back in the evening, turn it back on, then turn on the LED on the bottom of the drone." That would show me exactly where the drone was sitting. That would be a nice feature on a future drone, right?

Here is my use for a remote on/off capability. I recently got my drone stuck in a very high pine tree. I knew which tree it was in, but did not know where in the tree it was stuck. The battery was at about 10%. I thought, "If I could only remotely turn off the drone, then I could come back in the evening, turn it back on, then turn on the LED on the bottom of the drone." That would show me exactly where the drone was sitting. That would be a nice feature on a future drone, right?
The Mini 3 Pro does not have a bottom LED, only the notification LEDs on the prop legs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer