DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tutorial: 3D Photogrammetry with Pix4D Mapper

Interesting!

Reactions: Jug's Life
This is very interesting and something I would love to offer to a client that I'm doing bi-weekly construction progression photos of a new 650K square foot warehouse facility. But I admit my complete ignorance and lack of any experience with 3D photogrammetry. In your example, the project used 130 Jpegs. How does it know to use that many jpegs. How would I know how many jpegs to take? And the example also states that you can use video as well. Can both jpegs and video be used together in the same project? I'm very interested in learning more on this subject and a relatively inexpensive option to utilize. Thank you very much!

This is very interesting and something I would love to offer to a client that I'm doing bi-weekly construction progression photos of a new 650K square foot warehouse facility. But I admit my complete ignorance and lack of any experience with 3D photogrammetry. In your example, the project used 130 Jpegs. How does it know to use that many jpegs. How would I know how many jpegs to take? And the example also states that you can use video as well. Can both jpegs and video be used together in the same project? I'm very interested in learning more on this subject and a relatively inexpensive option to utilize. Thank you very much!
Thank you for your interest. Lots of questions, but the true answer is to get out there and tinker with the apps.

How does it know 130 photos? Because I took 130 photos. Each photo has tremendous meta data such as gps location, angle of photo etc. The programs use the photo and meta data automatically, you just need to load what you have.

I havent loaded video into them yet, they have those options, but I didnt take videos, only photos. Think like the computer, and what it needs to see to re create these images.

These videos are a great launch pad, please share your examples when finished, I would love to see the work of others.

Thank you for your interest. Lots of questions, but the true answer is to get out there and tinker with the apps.

How does it know 130 photos? Because I took 130 photos. Each photo has tremendous meta data such as gps location, angle of photo etc. The programs use the photo and meta data automatically, you just need to load what you have.

I havent loaded video into them yet, they have those options, but I didnt take videos, only photos. Think like the computer, and what it needs to see to re create these images.

These videos are a great launch pad, please share your examples when finished, I would love to see the work of others.
Thank you very much...this makes sense! Can't wait to download the app and try this out. Thank you for sharing!

Great stuff, only problem is the software cost so much if you really just a hobbiest and aren't making any money on your work.

As a trial then you have to pay a subscription fee.
No. Download Pix4D Mapper. It changes its name to Pix 4D Discovery and it has no time limit and most of the functionality of the full program. It does not include access to their Phone App, which people really want because it will automate the capture process, the program for computers thou you can use virtually unlimited. It does have a sign up for trial button if you want the full pix 4d mapper. I go over some of this in the video. Hope this helps. I highly recommend downloading and experimenting. These videos are a quick launch pad for those interested in going to a site, capturing their own media manually or Active Track works, then process the media into photogrammetry. These are intro videos to more in depth programs I am building for each app.

No. Download Pix4D Mapper. It changes its name to Pix 4D Discovery and it has no time limit and most of the functionality of the full program. It does not include access to their Phone App, which people really want because it will automate the capture process, the program for computers thou you can use virtually unlimited. It does have a sign up for trial button if you want the full pix 4d mapper. I go over some of this in the video. Hope this helps. I highly recommend downloading and experimenting. These videos are a quick launch pad for those interested in going to a site, capturing their own media manually or Active Track works, then process the media into photogrammetry. These are intro videos to more in depth programs I am building for each app.
I've created my account and downloaded the Pix 4D Discovery app. I don't see any reference to it being a trial version. Looks like exactly what I need, and I can't wait to create a test mission and give it run. Thanks, JAMBCA!

• Love
I've created my account and downloaded the Pix 4D Discovery app. I don't see any reference to it being a trial version. Looks like exactly what I need, and I can't wait to create a test mission and give it run. Thanks, JAMBCA!
Awesome, share your results. Excited to see!

Reactions: R.Cowan
Awesome, share your results. Excited to see!
OK...now I feel stupid. Rushed out the door after setting up my account and thought that I had downloaded the PIX4D Discovery app... but evidently not. Can't seem to find the download. When logged in to my account, I see the license number with the activation date, but don't understand how to access the program. Is it by chance named something else?

Well smack and call my sally, my bad, its been a long time since i used it due to the subscription fee. Thanks for the information, I hope i haven't turned anyone away.

OK...now I feel stupid. Rushed out the door after setting up my account and thought that I had downloaded the PIX4D Discovery app... but evidently not. Can't seem to find the download. When logged in to my account, I see the license number with the activation date, but don't understand how to access the program. Is it by chance named something else?
its still called Pix4Dmapper but when you open it, youll see the name is different

Well smack and call my sally, my bad, its been a long time since i used it due to the subscription fee. Thanks for the information, I hope i haven't turned anyone away.
not at all, good questions. i agree, there is some heavy prices on some of these, but the ways I have shown are accessible to all. if the totally free option is best i suggest starting with web odm, its 100% free and open source.

not at all, good questions. i agree, there is some heavy prices on some of these, but the ways I have shown are accessible to all. if the totally free option is best i suggest starting with web odm, its 100% free and open source.
I have been using webodm when i started off, It worked really well for me.

Is Pix4D Mapper better than Metashape as quality? Can you publish to sketchfab from Pix4D?

Well, I went back and downloaded Pix4d mapper. It downloaded the file and installed "Pix4D Mapper", no name change, and would not let me use the software due to trial expired and I have to sign up for a subscription. Sorry, I wish it would work as you stated, however, not for me.

There is documentation on the internet concerning a Pix4D Discovery, however, there is no download software on their website. If you have this software, I would love to use it. Could you drop it in here or send it to me ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Well, I went back and downloaded Pix4d mapper. It downloaded the file and installed "Pix4D Mapper", no name change, and would not let me use the software due to trial expired and I have to sign up for a subscription. Sorry, I wish it would work as you stated, however, not for me.

There is documentation on the internet concerning a Pix4D Discovery, however, there is no download software on their website. If you have this software, I would love to use it. Could you drop it in here or send it to me ?

Thanks in advance.
Did you use a trial in the past? I suggest to uninstall, remove any files left in program files and run a program like CC Cleaner to clear out your cookies and caches. Then I would download the pix4d mapper again and reinstall.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N