DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two Certs

nedcampbell

Reactions
Can a person maintain a Hobbyist and 107 certification at the same time? Most of my flying will be hobby oriented for myself but I’ve been asked by a couple of people to do a photo / video job for them.

Yes .

Most recommend keeping a log and indicating PRIOR to the flight whether or not you are flying under hobby rules or 107 rules. There is no requirement to do so, but it’s a good practice to be able to defend yourself should something come up.

Reactions: Turn11
I was going to ask a similar question. I have not obtained a part 107 but it looks like the climate is inching in that direction but I am leaning towards getting it. Part 107 limits flight times to 1/2 hour before local sunrise to 1/2 hour after local sunset.
IF
I wanted to put a bird up with proper lighting and in a non-restricted air space outside of those hours AND I had a part 107 I would be conflicted.

Can a person maintain a Hobbyist and 107 certification at the same time? Most of my flying will be hobby oriented for myself but I’ve been asked by a couple of people to do a photo / video job for them.
There is no "hobbyist" certification. You certainly can still fly as a hobbyist with a 107 certification, but you cannot mix-and-match the rules to suit your needs. The purpose of the flight (hobby/commercial) should be determined before take-off, and the corresponding regulations need to be followed throughout the flight.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Thanks everyone!
I was hoping I could "declare" my in flight plan my intent and it sounds like that is the best course.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929