DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two laziness questions - Propellers and ND Filter

NaweG

Reactions
Is there any reason to take off the propellers after each flight? I presume as long as I fold them properly before bagging the drone I'm not hurting anything.

Similarly, because I worry about scratching the camera glass, any reason not to just leave the ND 16 filter on all the time? Or is there a clear glass protector I should be looking for?

Reactions: pelagic_one
I worry about scratching the camera glass, any reason not to just leave the ND 16 filter on all the time? Or is there a clear glass protector I should be looking for?
The camera already has a clear lens protector.
If you are wanting to shoot stills, leaving an ND16 filter on isn't going to help at all.

Is there any reason to take off the propellers after each flight? I presume as long as I fold them properly before bagging the drone I'm not hurting anything.

Similarly, because I worry about scratching the camera glass, any reason not to just leave the ND 16 filter on all the time? Or is there a clear glass protector I should be looking for?
I put my propellers on a year and a half ago and haven’t removed them yet. I do, however, store and carry my M2P in hard case.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I'm curious about why anyone would remove the props every time?
My mini came with them already installed, and haven't take even one blade off so far. When not in use it sits on a shelf in my reloading room, and if i take it somewhere say in my vehicle, it sits on the floor.

Reactions: Dbez1
Will only be taking video (though willing to be convinced otherwise) as I have a nice DSLR for stills. As JB points out, there is a guard that comes on the Air 2 but it doesn't have plastic or glass on it, so no protection for dust kicked up or such things that can scratch the lens. On my DSLR I'm used to having a low ND filter to protect that lens, and pull it off if I'm shooting in conditions where I think I can't do proper exposure adjustment (rarely).

Glad to hear the propeller discussion is almost completely just leave them on. Thanks!

As JB points out, there is a guard that comes on the Air 2 but it doesn't have plastic or glass on it, so no protection for dust kicked up or such things that can scratch the lens. On my DSLR I'm used to having a low ND filter to protect that lens, and pull it off if I'm shooting in conditions where I think I can't do proper exposure adjustment (rarely).

This. I also keep a ND filter on all the time for the same reason.

The camera does not have a "clear lens" protector.
The flat glass window that the camera shoots through is for protecting the lens.
You don't need a second one on top of that.

Will only be taking video (though willing to be convinced otherwise) as I have a nice DSLR for stills. As JB points out, there is a guard that comes on the Air 2 but it doesn't have plastic or glass on it, so no protection for dust kicked up or such things that can scratch the lens. On my DSLR I'm used to having a low ND filter to protect that lens, and pull it off if I'm shooting in conditions where I think I can't do proper exposure adjustment (rarely).

Glad to hear the propeller discussion is almost completely just leave them on. Thanks!
Your nice DSLR probably produces better video than your Mavic also. Presumably you don't currently have a big enough drone to fly it though.

the glass that you have to remove to fit nd filter is a cover for the lens
On mine, this is just a frame that snaps into the notches that the Air 2 ND Filters attach to. There is no actual lens inside this frame. Maybe it was an oversight on DJI’s part on mine, but I’m guessing not.

Mine is the same. There is no lens, just an empty frame.
Thanks for the confirmation. I was a bit surprised to discover this, but after looking at it fairly well, I could not see how a lens could be installed. It seems that all it does is provide a bit of aerodynamics to the camera head and maybe keeps smashed bugs out of the notches that it attaches to. That may sound funny, but it wouldn’t take but a few critters to make putting an ND Filter on almost impossible.

Mine is the same, I thought it had a piece of glass or plastic in it until I read this and checked, just the frame.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was a bit surprised to discover this, but after looking at it fairly well, I could not see how a lens could be installed. It seems that all it does is provide a bit of aerodynamics to the camera head and maybe keeps smashed bugs out of the notches that it attaches to. That may sound funny, but it wouldn’t take but a few critters to make putting an ND Filter on almost impossible.
Maybe DJI's cheaped out.
Lots of pix online show a protective filter
i-X4DMPHK-M.jpg

Definitely something you'd want to protect the lens from bugs, grit, dust, salt spray etc.

Maybe DJI's cheaped out.
Lots of pix online show a protective filter
i-X4DMPHK-M.jpg

Definitely something you'd want to protect the lens from bugs, grit, dust, salt spray etc.

That piece is there like pictured, but not removable, the plastic frame comes off and the glass/plastic remains and the actual lens is under it.

Reactions: pelagic_one
0 lens.jpg

It's a metal frame not plastic my bad, but yeah this is with the frame removed.

Is that a flat, clear window in front the lens?
I can also confirm that the stock filter frame is empty, and only a placeholder for the ND filters thst come in the Combo Kit. Except I can't get mine off!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure