DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two laziness questions - Propellers and ND Filter

I can also confirm that the stock filter frame is empty, and only a placeholder for the ND filters thst come in the Combo Kit. Except I can't get mine off!
Push the frame in (while holding the camera body) then twist about 15degs - it comes off easy

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I can also confirm that the stock filter frame is empty, and only a placeholder for the ND filters thst come in the Combo Kit. Except I can't get mine off!

The trick is you have to push and rotate it to get it off. Doing so takes two hands so you can make sure the pushing doesn't move the camera. DJI Tutorial at:

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
There is a very good YT clip on ND and PL (polarizing) filters where he shows how to twist and rotate the front (empty) frame slightly to remove it, then put the filter on in a reverse manner. Also, DSLR camera lenses generally use a UV (clear) filter as a protector glass for the main lens, not a tinted ND filter. Again, check YT for usage of ND filters on drones. They are used to effect blur (exposure change via shutter speeds and frame rates) on videos of close range moving objects so that they appear more natural when viewing the video in playback.

Also, DSLR camera lenses generally use a UV (clear) filter as a protector glass for the main lens, not a tinted ND filter.

Are there any UV filters for the Air 2? I normally use an ND 2 on my DSLR because of... well they're a little cheaper for my camera than a UV filter. I'm looking at getting the ND 4 as part of a pack of add-on filters as I suspect I'd be happier with a little less density on an ongoing basis. But given that the default plastic/glass/??? that is part of the camera module can't be removed I know I want SOMETHING that costs less than a full replacement on. Had a Canon lens get nicked at a start of a shoot one time because back then I didn't use a filter, and I think that scarred me for life :)

PGYTech is the only company I have found to offer a UV filter with Schott glass for the MA2. A cracked UV filter is easier to replace than sending in the MA2 to repair a broken front glass lens.

Reactions: NaweG

It just rotates off took me a second to figure that out lol. As far as a stock holder, it would have a little bit of protection if you were to hit a branch or something in flight, but yeah more to keep the holes free of sand.

Are there any UV filters for the Air 2? I normally use an ND 2 on my DSLR because of... well they're a little cheaper for my camera than a UV filter. I'm looking at getting the ND 4 as part of a pack of add-on filters as I suspect I'd be happier with a little less density on an ongoing basis. But given that the default plastic/glass/??? that is part of the camera module can't be removed I know I want SOMETHING that costs less than a full replacement on. Had a Canon lens get nicked at a start of a shoot one time because back then I didn't use a filter, and I think that scarred me for life :)
Filter choice is, at least for most people, determined by the application/use case. Cost is a secondary consideration. What do you mean by "happier with less density"? what do you hope to achieve by using the ND? If your intent is purely to protect the camera you should buy a clear filter (if available) or optionally, and you may find this appealing, don't fit a filter al all- how's that for a low cost option?

Whatever filter you fit won't protect the Mavic from being stolen.

Sorry if I wasn't as clear as I thought, but what I'm hoping to achieve is something similar to what using an ND filter on my DSLR does for me. A little bit more ability to open the shutter (it's bright and hot here in TX right now), and a way to protect a much more expensive lens from scratches and nicks. Turned out to work pretty well even with the ND 16 on my first flight - I'm just thinking a little lighter touch (with an ND 4) would be better for more conditions.

And yes, filters won't protect from theft. But I worry a lot less about that than I do bugs, dirt, birds, and sand :)

Reactions: InvisibleName
Sorry if I wasn't as clear as I thought, but what I'm hoping to achieve is something similar to what using an ND filter on my DSLR does for me. A little bit more ability to open the shutter (it's bright and hot here in TX right now), and a way to protect a much more expensive lens from scratches and nicks. Turned out to work pretty well even with the ND 16 on my first flight - I'm just thinking a little lighter touch (with an ND 4) would be better for more conditions.

And yes, filters won't protect from theft. But I worry a lot less about that than I do bugs, dirt, birds, and sand :)
Open the shutter? We don’t normally talk about opening a shutter- if you mean aperture there is no opportunity there as it is fixed at f2.8.

If your looking for a slower shutter speed to get closer to that magic 2 times shutter to frame rate ratio then yes ND’s are the go. ND8-32 seems to have it covered for most scenarios.

On mine, this is just a frame that snaps into the notches that the Air 2 ND Filters attach to. There is no actual lens inside this frame. Maybe it was an oversight on DJI’s part on mine, but I’m guessing not.
No its not, it is just a frame. No actual screen protector. Mine is the same.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial