DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two week pilot here of the MavicProzoom and my phone went dead!

WDKZoom

Reactions
While VLOS has been bandied about quite extensively and I have had my reservations listening but I just became a fan!!!! On a 97 degree and climbing day, my iPhone 6 plus overheated and shut down. Luckily I had a clear view of my drone and knew its orientation had I not, I might have panicked but I brought it back to me at just over 100 meters away and landed it safely. Had I not had a visual lock on it and turned it left or right or any number of combinations while looking for photo opportunities, only relying on my screen, bringing it back would have been more difficult.

Had I been out of VLOS, as for example, sending it forward or backward yawing right or left could have sent it further away from me.....does anyone have any tips for that other than walking towards it in the last direction I knew of??

WDK

While VLOS has been bandied about quite extensively and I have had my reservations listening but I just became a fan!!!! On a 97 degree and climbing day, my iPhone 6 plus overheated and shut down. Luckily I had a clear view of my drone and knew its orientation had I not, I might have panicked but I brought it back to me at just over 100 meters away and landed it safely. Had I not had a visual lock on it and turned it left or right or any number of combinations while looking for photo opportunities, only relying on my screen, bringing it back would have been more difficult.

Had I been out of VLOS, as for example, sending it forward or backward yawing right or left could have sent it further away from me.....does anyone have any tips for that other than walking towards it in the last direction I knew of??

WDK
I would have thought it would have stopped and hovered if signal was lost the did a RTH or hovered till battery was low then RTH
edit... after 11 sec rc sig loss then rth..
there are more factors but the jist is it will come back if MA2 and i assume DJI logic same for pro

Last edited:
.......good thought most anyplace else, an idea I have to consider......though I have my RTH set really low at 25 meters trying to stay below the high voltage lines in the area which is why I had my eye on it....I could be so lucky as to rise well above them and RTH safely or be so un lucky that on its ascent, it hits one of the lines or hovers just below it because of obstacle avoidance .....

WDK

I would have thought it would have stopped and hovered if signal was lost the did a RTH or hovered till battery was low then RTH
edit... after 11 sec rc sig loss then rth..
there are more factors but the jist is it will come back if MA2 and i assume DJI logic same for pro
Signal was not lost in this case. Phone overheated so the phone shut down. Signal was not lost between controller and craft so it remained in contact and controllable at all times.

In this case, if orientation and direction could not have been established by VLOS, pilot could have manually initiated RTH.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
The RC has all the info you need to bring it home....height/speed/distance. If you give it right stick and the distance increases, turn it and try again until the distance starts decreasing. The phone is basically just for the camera view. You can fly without it if necessary. Of course I'm not a fan of the RTH button, but I've used that option a few times.

The RC has all the info you need to bring it home....height/speed/distance. If you give it right stick and the distance increases, turn it and try again until the distance starts decreasing. The phone is basically just for the camera view. You can fly without it if necessary. Of course I'm not a fan of the RTH button, but I've used that option a few times.

Excellent information, that’s is what I needed particularly when it comes to giving it some stick and seeing weather or not the distance from home increases or decreases. Rookie me, I sent it out once on my 5th flight to 250 meters, for now my max setting for VLOS and lost it. I panicked before coming to grips with my display and doing the very thing you said. It’s comforting to know I can do the same without my phone using the RC.

WDK

Excellent information, that’s is what I needed particularly when it comes to giving it some stick and seeing weather or not the distance from home increases or decreases. Rookie me, I sent it out once on my 5th flight to 250 meters, for now my max setting for VLOS and lost it. I panicked before coming to grips with my display and doing the very thing you said. It’s comforting to know I can do the same without my phone using the RC.

WDK
You can (I have) literally fly right past yourself. The distance gets closer until parallel with yourself, then starts increasing again. You can sort of generally tell if it's on a direct path by how fast the distance decreases. It is a good skill to have. You will need it some day.

You can (I have) literally fly right past yourself. The distance gets closer until parallel with yourself, then starts increasing again. You can sort of generally tell if it's on a direct path by how fast the distance decreases. It is a good skill to have. You will need it some day.

Most definitely putting it into my tool box!!!

WDK

That's the only telemetry the RC doesn't provide on its screen: orientation. I suppose compass direction probably wouldn't be much help though.

If you can visually see your AC but can't determine its orientation, here's what you do:
Fly straight with right stick. If you see the AC start moving left, yaw left while still moving forward until it seems to stop moving. It is now heading directly towards you.
If right, yaw right.
If not moving, it is going directly towards you or away from you. Yaw until it moves right or left, then follow above.

By the way, it's either M2 Pro or M2 Zoom. There's no such thing as a Mavic Pro Zoom.

That's the only telemetry the RC doesn't provide on its screen: orientation. I suppose compass direction probably wouldn't be much help though.

If you can visually see your AC but can't determine its orientation, here's what you do:
Fly straight with right stick. If you see the AC start moving left, yaw left while still moving forward until it seems to stop moving. It is now heading directly towards you.
If right, yaw right.
If not moving, it is going directly towards you or away from you. Yaw until it moves right or left, then follow above.

By the way, it's either M2 Pro or M2 Zoom. There's no such thing as a Mavic Pro Zoom.

Got it!

if you lose vlos and you still got connection the best is to hit pause button than look at surrounding more time to !

if you lose vlos and you still got connection the best is to hit pause button than look at surrounding more time to !

Thank you, pause works as well though I am confident that not being in an intelligent flight mode where there is movement, my AC will hover in place if I take my hands off the sticks to access my situation.

WDK

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15