DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAV Forecast.

Hornet600

Reactions
Sorry for the newbie question. Have I set the UAV Forecast wind section correct? According to DJI the specs for the Mini 3 is, Max wind speed resistance 10.7 m/s (Level 5).

81D5EBEF-08D0-4C81-9B98-042B9DB2259E.png

I would say that it all depends on what you as a pilot are comfortable with handling. Yes, theoretically your UAV setting is right at the limit of the drone's wind handling specs, but I would advise you to lower this limit a bit for now, especially if you are a new pilot, in order to have some leeway in case things go south.

When you get comfortable flying in windy conditions you can increase the limit as you see fit. Better safe than sorry methinks.

Reactions: Dbez1 and rickfmdj
I would say that it all depends on what you as a pilot are comfortable with handling. Yes, theoretically your UAV setting is right at the limit of the drone's wind handling specs, but I would advise you to lower this limit a bit for now, especially if you are a new pilot, in order to have some leeway in case things go south.

When you get comfortable flying in windy conditions you can increase the limit as you see fit. Better safe than sorry methinks.
Thank you for your reply and good advice, I’ll definitely be lowering the limit .

Reactions: c64-dev
Sorry for the newbie question. Have I set the UAV Forecast wind section correct? According to DJI the specs for the Mini 3 is, Max wind speed resistance 10.7 m/s (Level 5).
Don't get a false sense of security from that number DJI calls "wind resistance".
It's not saying that if the wind is below 10 m/s things are OK and not OK if over 10 m/s.
When DJI say wind resistance, they mean the wind speed at which the drone is unable to hold position while hovering in Normal Mode.
But you could get into trouble in a wind of 8 m/s or even 5 m/s because there's much more to it than just the wind speed.
You need to consider the direction of the wind relative to the direction/s you intend flying and the distance involved.

If the wind was 10 m/s and you just wanted to go straight up and back down, you wouldn't have real trouble.
But if you allowed the drone to get some distance downwind, it might be difficult or impossible to fly back.
But if you flew upwind, the flight out would be slow, but you'd have no problem coming home.

Imagine a 6 m/s wind and you flew downwind and went 2000 metres out.
Although you could come back at 4 metres/sec, your battery might not have enough juice to make the flight home at the reduced speed.
Avoid flying out with the wind, because that means a fight against a headwind for the trip home.
It's a good idea to consider the return home part of the flight and how the wind will affect that.
You don't want the anxiety of watching the battery level go down while the drone makes very slow progress fighting against a headwind.

One other thing to consider is that UAV Forecast is just a forecast.
The actual wind where you fly could be more or less than what the app forecasts.

Don't get a false sense of security from that number DJI calls "wind resistance".
It's not saying that if the wind is below 10 m/s things are OK and not OK if over 10 m/s.
When DJI say wind resistance, they mean the wind speed at which the drone is unable to hold position while hovering in Normal Mode.
But you could get into trouble in a wind of 8 m/s or even 5 m/s because there's much more to it than just the wind speed.
You need to consider the direction of the wind relative to the direction/s you intend flying and the distance involved.

If the wind was 10 m/s and you just wanted to go straight up and back down, you wouldn't have real trouble.
But if you allowed the drone to get some distance downwind, it might be difficult or impossible to fly back.
But if you flew upwind, the flight out would be slow, but you'd have no problem coming home.

Imagine a 6 m/s wind and you flew downwind and went 2000 metres out.
Although you could come back at 4 metres/sec, your battery might not have enough juice to make the flight home at the reduced speed.
Avoid flying out with the wind, because that means a fight against a headwind for the trip home.
It's a good idea to consider the return home part of the flight and how the wind will affect that.
You don't want the anxiety of watching the battery level go down while the drone makes very slow progress fighting against a headwind.

One other thing to consider is that UAV Forecast is just a forecast.
The actual wind where you fly could be more or less than what the app forecasts.
Many thanks for that very informative reply.

Another consideration is the return to home function can become disabled in high winds as well.
It doesn't become disabled because of high wind ... the DJI warning is very badly worded and suggests this, but it's wrong.
It's actually warning that RTH might have problems, but RTH will never fail to try to come home.
If the wind is too strong, it might not get there, but RTH won't give up just because of a strong wind.

If you're new to drones might be better to halve that value to leave good safety margin in case of not remembering to plan ahead:
Flying longer distance and especially downwind like if it was still calm weather.
And avoid flying at close distance to (turbulence generating) obstacles at high wind speed.
Also wind speed increases with altitude, because of less frictional effect from ground surface/obstacles.

Once you get experience of how your drone flies and handles at different situations then you can expand flying "more normally" when wind speed picks up.

You’ve gotten good advice above. I would add that you should also be careful when you take off in wind. Stand where you’ll be safe if a sudden gust comes up at the wrong time. You definitely don’t want that drone blown into your face! Best wishes.

I would add, a lot of videos say bring it up to eye level and check it out first. I would never do that. Keep it just above your head or below your neck. A sudden blast of wind or accidental push of the controls in the wrong direction and you can have nice lacerations on your face. And they are pretty deep from what I have seen.

UAV forcast is a very broad forcast, where you are actually standing may have a micro climate that is completly different. Like near a sea cliff or top of a hill. It's not going to recognize that.

Sunglasses are your friend.

• Love
Reactions: PixelMagic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom