DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAV maps

mfuller5117

Reactions
The pic on left shows class d air space where the tear drop is 400ft AGL altitude from ALOFT formally kitty hawk . The pic on the right is from DJI fly shows geo zone , glide path to KCXO Conroe . The scribble is in the glide path same location as the map on ALOFT map from FAA . With a max altitude of 60ft AGL on the DJI fly map .

Before I bought my DJI products , I bought a Hubsan Zino Pro . And was all about the rules and used Kittyhawk for Pre flight plan and got flight authorization for the same area class d air space with 400ft max AGL . When I upgraded and bought my Air 2 DJI fly came into play with the Geo zones and the same area with 60ft AGL restrictions .

When I flew my mini 2 into the same area , was 928ft SSW 328ft altitude no problems flying back to home point . When I flew my Air2 into the same area I got a warning saying I was in a geo zone and was going to force land and RTH might fail . Luckily I took heed and flew back home manually .

So what I’m getting at is even using the B4UFLY map when I had my Zino and was making every attempt to fallow the rules was or could have been in violation . Why are the maps different .

Attachments

• 8FB9A901-A97D-48FB-85C3-FDC755F7AF30.jpeg
    8FB9A901-A97D-48FB-85C3-FDC755F7AF30.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 15
  • 66C323E5-FC08-4D65-A4EC-93C964356891.jpeg
    66C323E5-FC08-4D65-A4EC-93C964356891.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The GPS should read about the same location provided they have a lock on a similar number of satellites and the maps are of the same accuracy. I did find that a case that I had my phone in reduced the accuracy of the GPS from +/- 8 ft to +/-72 ft which made a huge difference in where the Aloft thought I was compared to where the drone thought it was. Changed to a different case and the problem resolved itself.

That being said, I have had similar problems in 2 other locations near my home. The first I was able to simply unlock the Geo zone through DJI. The second I applied for a LAANC authorization since where I wanted to fly was right on the border and had my ceiling bumped from 100 ft to 400 ft. The FAA even approved a 12 month authorization. I just renewed it for another 12 months which took all of 60 seconds on the FAA website.

I hope this helps you resolve the issue or at least come up with a workaround. Keep us posted on how you solve it.

--Harry

The pic on left shows class d air space where the tear drop is 400ft AGL altitude from ALOFT formally kitty hawk . The pic on the right is from DJI fly shows geo zone , glide path to KCXO Conroe . The scribble is in the glide path same location as the map on ALOFT map from FAA . With a max altitude of 60ft AGL on the DJI fly map .

Before I bought my DJI products , I bought a Hubsan Zino Pro . And was all about the rules and used Kittyhawk for Pre flight plan and got flight authorization for the same area class d air space with 400ft max AGL . When I upgraded and bought my Air 2 DJI fly came into play with the Geo zones and the same area with 60ft AGL restrictions .

When I flew my mini 2 into the same area , was 928ft SSW 328ft altitude no problems flying back to home point . When I flew my Air2 into the same area I got a warning saying I was in a geo zone and was going to force land and RTH might fail . Luckily I took heed and flew back home manually .

So what I’m getting at is even using the B4UFLY map when I had my Zino and was making every attempt to fallow the rules was or could have been in violation . Why are the maps different .
Are you "signed in" to your DJI Account when flying? That seems to help, esp when dealing with geo zones / authorizations / etc.

I can't explain DJI Fly's altitude limit, but the FAA says that you can request approval for up to 400' AGL.

Here's a link to the FAA UAS Facility Map and a clipping for your location.

conroe.uas.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout