DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Uk Airport rules: control zones

Dougie

Reactions
Hi guys, first time drone purchase - mavic on order...

I live in dunfermline which basically falls inside the Edinburgh airport atz although it is further than 5 miles away and on the other side of the river. I would like to be a sensible pilot and I know planes sometimes fly over dunfermline and surrounding areas so do I need to inform the controller? I see nothin that states an actual distance i can operate from an airport. I cannot find the contact number for the atc anywhere either. Where would I get this?

Another question I have is: can I use the tracking function when using the drone say on a mountain bike? The drone is effectively in line of sight but I won't be looking at it. I don't think this would be allowed? I see many videos of just this but they look like they are shot in different countries, to me this is the main idea behind owning a drone in the first place!

Thanks for any insight :)

Provided you 'can' see it there is no suggestion you must to watch it constantly.
The idea is that you need to be aware of any unexpectedly close air traffic (which seems unlikely following your bike about 30 feet high)

As for the airport it won't let you take off if too close, then there's a sort of funnel-shaped zone round that where you can fly but only lower altitude.
I think the airport would soon tire of you ringing, really no need - what would they say at a busy airport
If planes are overhead anywhere near it obviously isn't a place to go much above roof height.
Below 400 feet there shouldn't be any other traffic except coming in to land.

Reactions: Dougie
Provided you 'can' see it there is no suggestion you must to watch it constantly.
The idea is that you need to be aware of any unexpectedly close air traffic (which seems unlikely following your bike about 30 feet high)

As for the airport it won't let you take off if too close, then there's a sort of funnel-shaped zone round that where you can fly but only lower altitude.
I think the airport would soon tire of you ringing, really no need - what would they say at a busy airport
If planes are overhead anywhere near it obviously isn't a place to go much above roof height.
Below 400 feet there shouldn't be any other traffic except coming in to land.

Thanks for your reply, very helpful. I guess my question about seeing it at all times stems from the fpv ammendment but I agree with what you are saying as it's not like there are many places I'd go that will have air traffic near them.

I stay in west lothian and you do not need to contact Edinburgh atc as you are well out the limit furthermore planes are about 1800 to 200 feet on approach from your area this also applies in Livingston which is a lot nearer than dunfermline

I stay in west lothian and you do not need to contact Edinburgh atc as you are well out the limit furthermore planes are about 1800 to 200 feet on approach from your area this also applies in Livingston which is a lot nearer than dunfermline

That's great to hear from someone with direct experience.

Can I ask you then where the limit is or where I can view it as all the usual places show the huge atz. I was thinking of flying in the pentlands and near arthurs seat, which are much closer. Do you fly there and know the score?

Thanks for your help mate :D

Your well away from Edinburgh airport nfz mate you can even fly from the forth bridge area but not over roysyth as that's a naval base there are a lot of videos of the new bridge getting built on Livingston drone club on facebook just search for it

Your well away from Edinburgh airport nfz mate you can even fly from the forth bridge area but not over roysyth as that's a naval base there are a lot of videos of the new bridge getting built on Livingston drone club on facebook just search for it

Thanks for that mate I will look it up the now

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr