DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK rules, definition of the CAA's C0 to C4 categories,

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

Has anyone got a link to definitions of these categories?
I realise/think my P3 adv, M2P and MM will be legacy drones, are they?
But my mind wants to know what the definitions of these categories are.
Thanks

Reactions: Lastrexking
Thanks
All drones in the UK just now are 'legacy drones' as there are no C class drones manufactured yet.
Check this from UAV Academy:

Drone Certification – Product Standards​

A key element of the Open category is that any drone sold for use within this category will have to comply with a set of product standards, similar to the ‘CE’ marking scheme. In order to achieve this standardisation, unmanned aircraft that are intended to be sold within the ‘EU market’ have been further subdivided into 5 ‘classes’.
Whilst it is essential to your understanding of the new regulation to be aware of the Classes, it is unlikely that any certified drones will be available when the new regulations come into force. For this reason there are ‘Transitional’ arrangements which allow for non-certified ‘legacy’ drones to be flown in the Open sub-categories A1 and A2 for two years after the EU regulations come into force, After which time they will only be allowed to fly in A3 (far from people) sub-category.
Class-0.png

Class 0 – can be flown in all subcategories​

Very small unmanned aircraft, including toys, that:
  • are less than 250g maximum take-off mass
  • have a maximum speed of 19m/s (approx. 42.5 mph)
  • are unable to be flown more than 120m (400ft) from the controlling device
Class-1.png

Class 1 – can be flown in all subcategories​

• Are either less than 900g maximum take-off mass, or are made and perform in a way that if they collide with a human head, the energy transmitted will be less than 80 Joules
  • designed and constructed so as to minimise injury to people
The standards also cover other aspects such as noise limits, height limits and requirements for remote identification and geoawareness systems.
Class-2.png

Class 2 – can be flown in subcategory A2 and A3

• Less than 4kg maximum take-off mass
  • Designed and constructed so as to minimise injury to people
  • Equipped with a low-speed mode’ which limits the maximum speed to 3m/s (approx. 6.7 mph) when selected by the remote pilot
The standards also cover other aspects such as noise limits (but different from C1), height limits and requirements for remote identification and geoawareness systems, plus additional requirements if it is to be used during tethered flight.
Class-3.png

Class 3 – can be flown in subcategory A3

Drones that possess automatic control modes (such as found in typical multicopter ‘drones’) which are less than 25kg maximum take-off mass
The standards also cover other aspects covering height limits and requirements for remote identification and geoawareness systems. There are also additional requirements if it is to be used during tethered flight, but there is no specified noise limit (because the aircraft is intended to be flown ‘far from people’).
Class-4.png

Class 4 – can be flown in subcategory A3

Drones that Unmanned aircraft that do not possess any automation, other than for basic flight stabilisation (and so are more representative of a ‘traditional’ model aircraft) which are less than 25kg maximum take-off mass
The standards also cover other aspects covering height limits and requirements for remote identification and geoawareness systems. There are also additional requirements if it is to be used during tethered flight, but there is no specified noise limit (because the aircraft is intended to be flown ‘far from people’).

Thanks
Really simple way of looking at it is, everything currently on the market and everything preceding it is a legacy drone, except the Minis’ due to their weight - but they technically are as they don’t have the classification on them.

Thanks, reading post #2 and regarding ".....s noise limits, height limits and req....",I wonder if that means that there are going to be legally required and legally set, height limits built into either or both the drone's hardware and software?
The current 500m ceiling in DJI stuff is, I believe, DJI's arbitary setting.

Class 0 – can be flown in all subcategories​

Very small unmanned aircraft, including toys, that:
  • are less than 250g maximum take-off mass
  • are unable to be flown more than 120m (400ft) from the controlling device
This is not correct. CAP 722, page 81, under Classes of UAS says “are unable to be flown more than 120m (400ft) above the take-off point” not “from the controlling device”.

Reactions: Drumsagard
Thanks
This may be useful
I only did weights for Mini 2, MZ2 And P4P

Attachments

• Drone C0-C4 and Legacy.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 9
Ahh I don't want to start into dealing with, shall I say, "categories or types of flight" just yet.
I am first trying to get my head around the C0 to C4 'definitions' even though I appreciate/believe they are not applicable to my current drones.
Once I have the C0 to C4 definitions sorted out then I will start into the "open" etc. etc. stuff and how flights should be flown to fit within those categories..
I suppose really I should print the stuff out then I can leaf between pages strewn over the floor etc. which, for this pre computer mind, is easier to deal with than switching between a dozen windows on a screen.

That said, one thing I did notice was some stuff saying BVLOS might be legal where it can categorically be shown that there is no risk to people or property or manned aircraft etc. e.g. low, over open sea, with no boats, swimmers or planes about etc.etc. did I interpret that correctly?

That said, one thing I did notice was some stuff saying BVLOS might be legal where it can categorically be shown that there is no risk to people or property or manned aircraft etc. e.g. low, over open sea, with no boats, swimmers or planes about etc.etc. did I interpret that correctly?
That isn't the case in the UK no.

The CAP allows for EVLOS but that requires a case by case permission granted by the CAA.

There is a BLVOS addon being developed but that requires a GVC and isnt anywhere near ready.

I really cant see any safety case for allowing BVLOS until drones have passive and active detect and avoid along with remote ID amongst other things.
There's certainly no way a consumer drone with no transponder device, no ability to detect other traffic and no redundancy in flight or navigation systems should be allowed it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom