DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Tracker?

Badgersurfer

Reactions
I am thinking of getting one of the Rewire Security Spytrack nanos... Has anyone tried one in the uk?
Also I fly legal i.e. 500m range. Do I really need one? I am interested as if I get a flyaway, is the drone still likely to stay within the specified 500m max settings or is it likely it could ignore them and fly on into the blue yonder until the battery runs out. I am not asking for the length of a piece of string just by users experience as to probabilities?

I am interested as if I get a flyaway, is the drone still likely to stay within the specified 500m max settings or is it likely it could ignore them and fly on into the blue yonder until the battery runs out.
Just wished to say, that's a very good question. As a partial answer you probably do have the failsafe response options for if or when it is blown out of range but that doesn't address the "exceeds the pilot specified distance limit".

Just wished to say, that's a very good question. As a partial answer you probably do have the failsafe response options for if or when it is blown out of range but that doesn't address the "exceeds the pilot specified distance limit".
Yes, I think it is a very interesting point as it is one of these situations whereby unless you have had your drone blown away you cannot test it. One would assume that if it is forced beyond the pilot distance limit it would automatically land. I know when I have been high (386ft) and the wind is excessive it asks me to land immediately, but I usually override it as it is well within the M2P scope, Having an SC I usually switch the map to radar and just check the angle as It is a good indicator as to the strength of wind.
I always check my UAV app before flying anyway to minimize the risks.
I am beginning to think a tracker would be overkill, but that having been said I watched a video of a guy not too far away from me who panicked on some cliffs and overrode the RTH because he had moved away from his original location. Thus his drone ran out of battery and landed in some thick gorse never to be seen again. And that was probably within a 200m radius. So maybe if you are flying over that sort of terrain or woods, a tracker is a relatively cheap investment in comparison to a new drone. And it can always extend it's value if you have an expensive electric bike, a Grandad or children that might wander off, or even a pet Gorilla that smells a female on heat and vacates to the jungle...

the 500m distance from home point is a recommendation from the CAA and is based on the ability to be able to see the drone at 500m if you attempt to go further then you will get a message if you have set the max distance to 500m in the app i do believe it will geofence once it hits that distance but i have never tried it to find out
what you could do is set a lower max distance and then fly out and see what happens you will either just get a warning message or it will geofence and refuse to fly any further,

the 500m distance from home point is a recommendation from the CAA and is based on the ability to be able to see the drone at 500m if you attempt to go further then you will get a message if you have set the max distance to 500m in the app i do believe it will geofence once it hits that distance but i have never tried it to find out
what you could do is set a lower max distance and then fly out and see what happens you will either just get a warning message or it will geofence and refuse to fly any further,
You are correct as I have tried to do a Poi and forgot that the radius would go outside the 500m geofence and it simply refused to go but merely hovered. But of course that is with everything working. My OP was really to find out if there are any known scenarios whereby the M2P would simply fly-away when operating within the 500m. The guy I mentioned on the cliffs was obviously pilot error but we may all suffer from that from time to time. That in itself may justify the use of a tracker. Haha I could had used one a few years ago on my slope soarers, I had those lost alarms on them in latter years but the trouble was I have severe tinnitus and trying to direction find sounds is incredibly difficult...

Reactions: old man mavic
Check out Rewire Security, I've been using their trackers for a few years starting with the P4 and now mavic 2 pro: Asset GPS Trackers - Cargo Shipment GPS Tracking - Global Coverage
Nice to hear what you say. that is the one I have been looking at. 160 squids with 60 squids every year after...
"Drone GPS Tracking Package"... Looks really small. Is that the one you have and did you buy the cradle?
What are the dimensions as I have a Lume Cube strobe on top for night flying. I may have to mount it somewhere else.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO