DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK will not follow EASA Regs, Mavic 3 Classic will become Legacy in Jan 2023

@Will_UK ,you are right about the GVC certificate being a better option ,but bear in mind ,the considerable costs involved ,and the fact that if you wanted to fly a drone that was over 250g then you would need to fly it in a different category other than the open category
namely the specific category ,which requires flight log keeping, and a lot of other requirements ,if you wanted to fly close to people and structures
Spot on!

But of course the CAA/DfT have no interest in the additional cost and complexity for drone pilots and this new announcement makes it virtually impossible for recreational users to fly anything other than sub 250g anywhere but open countryside.

I can't help but think this may have been the intention.

Do you fly within 50m (horizontally) of buildings because if you do unless you can be certain there's nobody inside there's every chance you're flight contravenes the rules even with the A2 CofC.

And that's my point about the A2 CofC, it's virtually a useless qualification.
I live in an east coast town in Scotland, so mainly harbour, cliffs and countryside :)

To be fair though, if you passed over a building at 49m,

Who on earth is going to say or do anything, especially in towns

To be fair though, if you passed over a building at 49m,

Who on earth is going to say or do anything, especially in towns
The Karen that was walking from her house to her car and hates drones??

The policeman that was passing through??

In a town or city, I really don't see how you could maintain 50m separation.

What makes you say that?
Because in a town or city you'd rarely be more than 50m away from a building or person. Remember you need to be thinking of each person/building as being surrounded by a 50m (150m if you don't have the A2 CofC) cylinder that you can't fly in to.

Because in a town or city you'd rarely be more than 50m away from a building or person. Remember you need to be thinking of each person/building as being surrounded by a 50m (150m if you don't have the A2 CofC) cylinder that you can't fly in to.

50m radius isn't that much, really. Most towns and cities in the UK actually do have some pretty large green spaces, when you get down to it (even big cities like London); put Google Maps in satellite view and zoom in so the scale is 100m then scroll around and I think you'll find it surprisingly easy to find areas larger than that on a side which the CofC would enable you to legally fly in. Especially so if you are flying adjacent to (or over) something like a river, car park, or some form of disused brownfield site, although the middle of suburbia, retail, and industrial areas are almost certainly not going to be a viable option. NFZs and other restrictive operating constraints aside, the Thames and its foreshore are more 100m across throughout much of Central London and has numerous open spaces along both banks, for instance.

Whether the local council/landowner allows you to fly there (the workaround of taking off from a public highway and doing an overflight might be problematic due to any adjacent buildings), or there is anything worth shooting for that matter, is another matter of course. If you're purely doing this recreationally, then the CofC at least opens up a few more options, but a sub-250g may be a better bet (they're also more discreet for the Karen's etc.; even if the flight is legal, who needs the hassle?). If you're operating commercially or as a professional photographer in urban settings, then you should probably be seriously looking at a GVC anyway.

Reactions: leebroath
50m radius isn't that much, really. Most towns and cities in the UK actually do have some pretty large green spaces, when you get down to it (even big cities like London); put Google Maps in satellite view and zoom in so the scale is 100m then scroll around and I think you'll find it surprisingly easy to find areas larger than that on a side which the CofC would enable you to legally fly in. Especially so if you are flying adjacent to (or over) something like a river, car park, or some form of disused brownfield site, although the middle of suburbia, retail, and industrial areas are almost certainly not going to be a viable option. NFZs and other restrictive operating constraints aside, the Thames and its foreshore are more 100m across throughout much of Central London and has numerous open spaces along both banks, for instance.

Whether the local council/landowner allows you to fly there (the workaround of taking off from a public highway and doing an overflight might be problematic due to any adjacent buildings), or there is anything worth shooting for that matter, is another matter of course. If you're purely doing this recreationally, then the CofC at least opens up a few more options, but a sub-250g may be a better bet (they're also more discreet for the Karen's etc.; even if the flight is legal, who needs the hassle?). If you're operating commercially or as a professional photographer in urban settings, then you should probably be seriously looking at a GVC anyway.
I hear what you say but my point really is that to do anything interesting you're going to need a gvc even if you're recreational. Takeoff and landing are part of the flight and the Thames is often full of boats.

I suppose it’s not all that bad if you have an A2 CofC and can fly that little bit closer in the A2 Cat. To be honest though, I never fly close to people anyway, incase something happens, and I do have my Cert.

I know it’s a long way off, but what’s your thoughts on all legacy drones in 2026. And as Mavic 3 Classic has the C1 stamp, the DfT can always have special rules for this in a Cat at that time.

And for example: the Mavic 2 Pro in 2026, what will be the plan for that drone, after the transition period, will it be illegal to fly it at all or what happens?
I guess we won't know for sure until the time comes but as I understand it the existing plan was that drones without a classification under the new system would fall under legacy rules which meant drones under 250g could fly within the A1 category and drones over the 250g would be limited to the A3 category even for pilots with an A2 certification.

At the age now of 76 I think I will be flying up there well above 400 feet and not need to be bothering with my next drone.

well at the age of 75 and soon to be 76 in February next year ,i hope to be around for a fair while yet ,before i am flying above 400ft god willing

Might as well be flying a full scale helicopter for that matter.

Reactions: leebroath
Hi folks, I had missed the info of the UK not accepting the C1 certification on the Mavic 3 Classic, and ended up getting the drone after selling on my Air 2s.
Despite the headache of rules in the UK - I figured I would fly M3 Classic as per the regulations of my A2 CofC license (and article 16 of FPVUK) but have the freedom the fly my M3 Classic as you would do with the Mini 3 Pro when overseas on holiday.

I reached out to DJI as my M3 Classic didn't ship with a C1 label, asking how I can obtain the label for when looking to fly outside the UK when on holiday.
A number of emails and calls later led to this advice from DJI:
1) To start up the M3 Classic when overseas on holiday - which should then allow through the DJI app a request for the C1 label.
2) The C1 label will then be shipped out to the address of the holiday resort - I then need to send photographic evidence of the label on the drone to receive a digital C1 document.

I explained to DJI that my upcoming holiday is for 7 nights only as they said shipping can take between 10 - 20 days. They advised to contact them after completing step 1, and they will look to expedite the label, and advised not to fly the drone until the label is received.

Can't help but think the label won't get to me in time, and I will have taken the M3 Classic with me on holiday for it just to sit there.. Was thinking my best option was just taking my Mini 3 Pro instead - however I have seen a thread on here advising you also need a EU Operator ID (despite having already a UK one) - which doesn't seem straight forward to obtain!

Have you flown a Mavic 3 Classic / or smaller drone such as Mini 3 Pro abroad?

Hi folks, I had missed the info of the UK not accepting the C1 certification on the Mavic 3 Classic, and ended up getting the drone after selling on my Air 2s.
Despite the headache of rules in the UK - I figured I would fly M3 Classic as per the regulations of my A2 CofC license (and article 16 of FPVUK) but have the freedom the fly my M3 Classic as you would do with the Mini 3 Pro when overseas on holiday.

I reached out to DJI as my M3 Classic didn't ship with a C1 label, asking how I can obtain the label for when looking to fly outside the UK when on holiday.
A number of emails and calls later led to this advice from DJI:
1) To start up the M3 Classic when overseas on holiday - which should then allow through the DJI app a request for the C1 label.
2) The C1 label will then be shipped out to the address of the holiday resort - I then need to send photographic evidence of the label on the drone to receive a digital C1 document.

I explained to DJI that my upcoming holiday is for 7 nights only as they said shipping can take between 10 - 20 days. They advised to contact them after completing step 1, and they will look to expedite the label, and advised not to fly the drone until the label is received.

Can't help but think the label won't get to me in time, and I will have taken the M3 Classic with me on holiday for it just to sit there.. Was thinking my best option was just taking my Mini 3 Pro instead - however I have seen a thread on here advising you also need a EU Operator ID (despite having already a UK one) - which doesn't seem straight forward to obtain!

Have you flown a Mavic 3 Classic / or smaller drone such as Mini 3 Pro abroad?

Did you get this sorted out? If not, I have a method that should allow you to obtain the EU C1 label without leaving the UK. Send a PM if interested.

What's the secret? Is it not kosher? Please share..

I'd say the only non-kosher thing here is that DJI geo-restricts who can get the C1 label in the first place.

I purchased my Mavic 3 specifically intending to fly it in the EU, but of course mine arrived with no C1 sticker. I stumbled across this loophole while trying to apply for the C1 certification while being physically present in the EU.

The method I propose, which I am confident will work based on my own experience, is simply a loophole which I’d rather DJI not close. It does require lying to DJI, but I'd argue that they started this lie train by selling a drone as being C1 certified and then delivering one that wasn't.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Did you get this sorted out? If not, I have a method that should allow you to obtain the EU C1 label without leaving the UK. Send a PM if interested.

Edit: Sorry I actually think it only works with the Mavic 3, not the Mavic 3 Classic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas