DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ulanzi 1.33x Anamorphic Lens/Wide angle lens for DJI Mavic 2 Pro

TheRock

Reactions
I see Ulanzi has announced this today. The company seems to produce quality products. Anyone know of any reviews on this? I know some in the forum has used one by Motion. Any input in general on using the wide lens? Does Motion have a counter weight like Ulanzi's?

See the link to the product here:

Reactions: pelagic_one
Seems to be too new for any reviews yet but is cheaper than the Motion lens. I wonder of that counter-weight set-up stresses the gimbal.

I see Ulanzi has announced this today. The company seems to produce quality products. Anyone know of any reviews on this? I know some in the forum has used one by Motion. Any input in general on using the wide lens? Does Motion have a counter weight like Ulanzi's?

See the link to the product here:

I'm still struggling to understand how this strictly cinematic lens will translate aerial imagery. Where in the world the drone camera will be able to benefit from this very specific optical trick? Well, will see ...

Reactions: TheRock
I'm still struggling to understand how this strictly cinematic lens will translate aerial imagery. Where in the world the drone camera will be able to benefit from this very specific optical trick? Well, will see ...
Yes, supposed to double is a wide® lens. Will have to see how it actually works. Potato Jet had trouble with it in strong winds. I suspect that could be installation and the counterweight. His was the Motion, which is pretty pricey.

Here is a test flight with this new lens. Counter weight included, can be attached before activating drone. No problems with flying, though at this stage only slowly.

Reactions: OzMavix
Thank you. Great to see this. They shipped mine March 9 and it is still floating around in the postal system somewhere!! Looks like I am in for a treat when it comes. Appears to be sharp. Did you get much flare when it was pointed to the sun? Is this Hawaii?

Thank you. Great to see this. They shipped mine March 9 and it is still floating around in the postal system somewhere!! Looks like I am in for a treat when it comes. Appears to be sharp. Did you get much flare when it was pointed to the sun? Is this Hawaii?
No real flare, but wasn't really wanting one. I applied a little de fish eye filter as I forgot and pointed the gimbal downwards. Best to keep it horizontal unless you want curvature. This is Tasmania, Australia.

• Wow
Reactions: TheRock
No real flare, but wasn't really wanting one. I applied a little de fish eye filter as I forgot and pointed the gimbal downwards. Best to keep it horizontal unless you want curvature. This is Tasmania, Australia.
Thanks Jeff!! Nicely done video and thank you for that tip. I had a friend from Perth who lived in Tasmania for a while. He said it was a stunning island. Your video shows he was right. Beautiful.

Very nice light and video. Thank you. Can't wait to try mine out. Nice timing on that sunrise. Well done!!

Here is another test flight, better light and keeping the gimbal level.
The opening shot is THE reason you use an anamorphic lens...stunning! Technically, you can imitate such a shot but pulling your drone back for a wider shot, then letter boxing it in post. But if you have the lens, then it saves you a step in editing. Technical stuff aside, I believe, like any shooting any good story, you have to have a reason to use a lens like this. So, if you're doing a video with beautiful sweeping views of a dramatic landscape, why not use anamorphic. If you're just flying around your neighborhood, why bother.

Here is another test flight, better light and keeping the gimbal level.
What gorgeous lighting! Gotta love Tassie.

Have you experienced the "gimbal drop" yet?

I've used my Moment anamorphic quite a bit. Initially, it was a little "clunky", but I'm pretty quick at popping it on and off now. The counterweight has scratched the camera housing, which I'm a little annoyed about. The footage, if you're patient, and don't fly too fast, or into the wind, can be beautiful.

One thing I have found, and I'm not sure if any of you have had the same - when using after-market props (Master Air Screw) with the Moment lens on, the gimbal will vibrate quite dramatically up and down and the whole drone will shake in the air. Initially I thought it was the lens, and proceeded to curse the Moment team... However, after doing a bit of a process of elimination, I found that when I put the DJI stock props back on it flew completely normally.

I have just ordered the Ulanzi lens, as the counterweight is far smaller than the Moment, and seems a lot easier to install. Hopefully this will be less stressful on the gimbal.

Edit - I just realised this is my first post! Hello from South Australia. Thoroughly enjoying this forum! ?

I have only used the Ulanzi lens a few times and had no gimbal drop problem yet. I was flying fairly slowly.

I've just flown with the Ulanzi lens this last week. It is far simpler to install, there is ZERO gimbal stress and no gimbal drop after about 10 flights, including Sport Mode.

Altering the footage in post still seems to leave a slight amount of compression, so I may have to play about a bit.

My Moment lens is shelved for now, as I feel much less worried using the Ulanzi. However, for slower footage on calm days, I'll probably resurrect it from time to time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll